GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 837
1 members and 836 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-02-2015, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Bama Questions

So I'm going to Bama next fall, I'm from out of state and while I have Greeks in my family no one was in chapters at huge Greek schools. I've been doing some reading about the campus and I have a few questions.

What is "old row"? Does it matter?

Also I've heard Chi Omega is on probation, but Idk what that means but I don't want to join a problem house?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBound15 View Post
So I'm going to Bama next fall, I'm from out of state and while I have Greeks in my family no one was in chapters at huge Greek schools. I've been doing some reading about the campus and I have a few questions.

What is "old row"? Does it matter?

Also I've heard Chi Omega is on probation, but Idk what that means but I don't want to join a problem house?
This is the thread about "Old Row"
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=136274

In short - "Old Row" used to be the designation for some fraternities at Bama on one end of campus. It is now a social event that is sponsored by Budweiser that some sororities and fraternities are invited to participate in. Some NPC groups are not allowed to have such a sponsored event - hence some older sororities are not "Old Row" although they are older. I don't think it matters much during recruitment in the popularity of sororities.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the Old Row groups still use that term - no matter that there is no Old Row any longer with all the new construction.

And I can assure you that Chi Omega is not leaving Alabama. They have been there a long time and will take care of this issue with a couple of misguided members.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

The “Old Row” designation/perception has been around a very long time. The fraternities considered Old Row were originally those well-established chapters built along University Blvd from one end of campus to the other. The newer “New Row” fraternities were primarily built on a new “row” (Fraternity Lane).

The sororities considered Old Row were typically strong-recruiting chapters who participated in swaps and other social events/joint parties with the Old Row fraternities (including campus politics). With sororities, Old Row did not (then or now) refer to sorority location (unlike “First Circle,” which originally did refer to the location of DDD, AGD, and KD). “Old Row” also does not refer to the oldest sororities on campus.

Traditionally Old Row chapters (fraternities and sororities) were associated with a lot of in-state alum involvement, in-state connections, money, and legacies – thus the perception of prestige. The t-shirts are “new,” relatively speaking (is there any occasion or party that doesn’t warrant a t-shirt?), but as far as extra cost or the extent of Budweiser involvement, I haven’t seen much other than unsubstantiated internet gossip on those points.

The handful of sororities considered “Old Row” continue to be strong-recruiting chapters and in-state strongholds. However, in-state PNMs are the minority now, and IMO, the Old Row perception exists mainly in the minds of in-state PNMs (high school/hometown influences). All the chapters at Bama are robust and packed with sharp girls and opportunities (which will be clear when you see the ACRES of accomplished and lovely PNMs who will become new members of every chapter on campus). Just disregard talk regarding tiers prior to (and especially during) finding your chapter home.

That goes for rumors about Chi O probation too – Chi O is alive and well. You can check their member numbers and grades from last semester here (their pledge class had highest GPA on campus): http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/documents/TheUniversityofAlabama-Fall2014GradeReport.pdf

Good luck to you. Hope you have a great recruitment!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Go luck this fall (please post your recruitment story when you go through). Join the group you feel you click the best with. My niece originally wasn't going to rush (decided at the last minute), joined Theta and had a blast and loved living in the house. I keep hearing how competitive and large Bama recruitment is. As far as I know, she did not have Greeks in the extended family (not counting my hubby and me--I don't have a chapter there so it wouldn't have helped to write a rec letter) and was from out of state. I keep hearing that at Bama you need a zillion recs and it helps to be in-state. I dunno if she had recs, but still had a successful rush. It probably didn't hurt that she had a sky high GPA, zillion extra curriculars, is beautiful, outgoing, etc.

So, Bamabound, don't get caught up in nightmare rumors or bad rush stories. Just put your best food forward.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

You can get the recruitment statistics from last year online here and on the Alabama web site. They place a high percentage of all PNMs and many are OOS. That will not hurt you in the least. Just have a great resume, great grades (you can check the GPAs for all groups online as well), and get your recs in order. Go with an open mind and maximize your options. You'll be fine,
Old 04-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Registration opens tomorrow!