GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,162
3 members and 2,159 guests
oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM

Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Congratulations to Alpha Tau Omega on chartering at the University of New Hampshire.
Quote:
Congratulations to Phi Delta Theta for their recent chartering at the University of South Carolina.
Yes, very good news for both organizations!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on chartering at Appalachian State University(NC).

Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM

Update: Our colony at UI-Springfield has 85 women.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 AM

Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alpha Gamma Delta has announced the closure of its chapter at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly). Closure is due to low membership numbers.
Oh that's a shame, if memory serves me they were relatively new to that campus.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Sad to hear. AGD just colonized in 2016. That school has had 4 NPC colonizations since 2013.
My understanding is that they had added chapters quickly in an effort to lower overall chapter size. That's the impression I got from this article: https://mustangnews.net/cal-poly-cha...ow-enrollment/

Too bad it didn't work out for our chapter there. It's always sad when a chapter closes.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
“We are disappointed that the national organization is choosing to close the chapter because it is not meeting its expectation around numbers,” Humphrey said. “It is incredibly disappointing to [the university] on a number of levels. First and foremost, because of the experience of the students in that organization and dedicated to that organization.”

Although small enrollment numbers caused the chapter to dissolve, Humphrey said the university hopes to add at least one fraternity or sorority per year to thin out enrollment numbers of large greek organizations.

“Large greek organizations lose their ability to be personal and the quality of the experience is diminished,” Humphrey said.

The AGD executive board was not immediately available to comment.

“If they were hoping to be a greek organization of 300 or 200 plus, Cal Poly probably was not the right place for them,” Humphrey said.
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But....campus total is presently 230. Math is hard?

This honestly sounds like he needs to stay in his lane and quit inviting sororities to colonize every other day, unless the women are unhappy in the chapters the size they are and begging for it to happen. He was at Arizona before this, you would think he’d get that NPC and IFC expansion are two different animals.

Yeah..I was wondering what he was talking about once I looked at Campus total.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM

The only way to keep groups under a certain size is to put on a cap, which would probably dampen a lot of groups’ interest in coming there and defeat the whole purpose.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu at Belmont has been suspended. This emergency suspension occurred during the middle of recruitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqdsmPU7Jw
Old 02-01-2019, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to ask a very ignorant question. I will admit, I am newer to Greek Chat, so I don't have a good frame of reference here.

Has there been a substantial increase in the number of sororities who are being suspended or having their recruitment periods interrupted with C&Ds? Is it just that I am now more aware of them? They seem to be occurring with much higher frequency than what I believed occurred in the past.

A group of friends and I were talking about this. Some link it to increased awareness of rights, some credit it to the fact that everything is recorded now while others say it is because kegs were replaced with hard liquor. Regardless of the reason, it breaks my heart when sweet sisters see their chapter dissolved.

So, am I off base here? Are the closures occurring with greater frequency now than they were say 10 or 20 years ago?
Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 AM

Yes, the increase has been substantial. I think all the things you mentioned are factors, plus the fact that pledgeship is much shorter with much fewer requirements and it is almost impossible to depledge a new member. If the sorority members are (in the eyes of the school or their nationals) not living up to the sorority standard, it stands to reason that the last thing anyone would want is for those members to be in charge of selecting more members.

I also think it has to do with some of the (lately very publicized) instances of women pledging a chapter that unbeknownst to them was in a state of turmoil, then 3/4 of the way into their pledgeship the charter gets revoked. Technically the women can be bid to another chapter immediately but that’s not always feasible. It used to be everyone just said “oh so sad” and life went on, but increasingly parents and lawyers are getting involved.