GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,160
3 members and 2,157 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-01-2003, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamGirlAY
Please give input...

Ok, so I'm sitting here working on a script for the children at my church for next Christmas, all based around the song "Do You Hear What I Hear" and in the process, I got this idea....

I ran it past my chapter president in email, but I'd also like input from you guys as well.
What if I could pull off a Greek holiday performance at my campus next year? Call it something like "Yuletide Bash" or something fun...because it wouldn't be limited to Christmas, I would love and welcome Hanukah (sry if it's spelled wrong!) and Kwanza and whatever else people have out there to be represented...it would show our diversity! As long as the material is clean and not offensive, the sky is the limit and it would not only be for NPC, but also NIC and NPHC as well. What I'm thinking is lip syncing songs for those who aren't confident in their voices, live performance w/ cd music for those who would want to sing, live musical performances from those who can (and if they put toghether bands or have bands, they can do their own spins on the music too...like spice up the traditional stuff with quick drum rhythms and loud guitar riffs), and even holiday comedy acts. What I'm thinking is my GLO will sponsor it, but any chapter who has performers is welcome to take part in the performance (I think give us a two hour slot and go from there...divide it out among the GLOs or something). Half the total ticket sales can go to our philanthropy (Juvenile Diabetes Foundation), but if another GLO chapter has 75% or more attandance, they get half of their ticket costs back for their philanthropies (an incentive to encourage Greek attendance). We will open the whole thing up to the campus and the community so they can see us Greeks in a whole new light! Maybe even I could get it recorded like all of my university's musical concerts are and we could sell the CDs...and if that does happen, then it will be the performers who sell them and the sales of the CDs will benefit the seller's philanthropies (if that makes any sense....an example would be if a DZ sings a song, then she has the option to sell CDs of the concert and half of whatever she sells goes to her philanthropy......I use the DZ's here b/c a friend of mine in my choir is a DZ and she has a lovely voice and you can bet if I can pull of this whole thing, I'll be asking her to make an appearance!

Please give me input on this. I know it will be a lot of work (I already told my president that), but I think it would be a great thing for my campus's Greek community...it would unify us, benefit our philanthropies, show Greeks in a good light to the campus and community, and above all, be an awful lot of fun!

~Jess
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-03-2003, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

You sound like a girl after my own heart! A very exciting concept, but possible timing conflict with finals /dead week. You cut down your window of opportunity. Still, it sounds doable.

I chaired the talent portion of one of our League's fundraisers. I also chaired the talent committee for our Cancer Society fundraiser. Once you get this into motion, I would be more than pleased to answer any questions. You are NOT starting too soon.

It sounds like this is your "baby" and from personal experience, it will be hard to trust others and accept their ideas, but you must.
Thats the key to getting people excited and involved.

Last edited by justamom; 01-03-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Idea

Sorry, I haven't responded to you earlier. I've got a bad cold and fever.

Sounds like a great idea!! Best of luck! It might take a couple of years to work all the "bugs" out, but sounds like it would be a worthwhile idea.

You should write up a plan and submit it to the Chapter for their input.

Have your Philanth. Coordinator (and EC) make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed! Don't forget those Risk Management Forms!

It's sad when any chapter ends up losing bunches of money on "worthwhile" projects.

LiEP,
Lynn