GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,355
0 members and 1,355 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

A "Beautiful" Deferred Story! (Live!)

Hi! I just started go through rush yesterday and decided to share my story with y'all! A little background is that I go to a semi-competitive school in the South with 8 sororities! I have no background in Greek life what so ever since my parents immigrated to the US! They weren't against me rushing, but they were a little worried about the system.

I decided to name the sororities after some of the favorite beauty brands! The sororities are:

Benefit
Mac
Urban Decay
Laura Mercier
Makeup Forever
Stilla
Nars
Tarte

The order on the first day was:
Tarte
Urban Decay
Laura Mercier
Nars
Makeup Forever
Mac
Stilla
Benefit

Tarte:
I was really nervous about my first party. I didn't know anything about these girls since their "Get To Know Me" events were always at the same time as my Bible study. The first girl I talked to was really nice. We just talked about the basic questions and then she sat me down for their chants. The songs were really cute and I left the room humming to it! The second girl I talked to was kinda awkward, but I didn't really let that phase me.

Urban Decay:
I was really excited for this party since a really good friend of mine is in this sorority! She pretty much tackled me when I walked in the door and took me to meet her friends! We pretty much just did catching up since we had already knew each other!

Laura Mercier:
This was my favorite house from the first semester! I got picked up my a girl I didn't know, but we hit it off talking! We didn't have that much in common, but we just talked about traveling! Their song was amazing and super loud! The girls there seemed like they really love their sorority!

Nars
I came into the room thinking I wouldn't like this sorority very much. However I was so wrong! The girl that picked me up was amazing! We talked about how it was like not growing up in the US and how it was like growing up with another culture! She got all her friends to come talk to me! I was even the last person to the leave the room because she wanted me to meet more people!!

Makeup Forever
This was the house I liked the least for their first semester events. The girl that picked me up was super super boring and just tripped over her words. The whole time I just wanted her to bump me to another person! However the other two girls I talked to were amazing! I wanted to give this chapter another chance!

Stilla
I really really loved this sorority the first semester, but their party was a little bland for me. I just talked about the basics with the girls that talked to me.

Nars
This house had the highest GPA on campus, so I was kinda nervous about coming here. I had a great conversation with the girl that got me! I even met a girl who had lived in the same country that I had!

Benefit
This house was kinda meh to me. I have friends in this sorority, but I didn't really feel like I belonged there. I love their philanthropy though!

My bottom two were:
Tarte
Benefit

I'll update y'all tonight or tomorrow!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait, what about MAC?? MAC is my favorite!

I can't wait to hear the rest of this story!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to reconsider doing this in real time. You've given an awful lot of identifying information about yourself. It won't be hard for your school members to figure out who you are. You might want to just write it up each day, but wait to post until after bid day.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjino View Post
Hi! I just started go through rush yesterday and decided to share my story with y'all! A little background is that I go to a semi-competitive school in the South with 8 sororities! I have no background in Greek life what so ever since my parents immigrated to the US! They weren't against me rushing, but they were a little worried about the system.

I decided to name the sororities after some of the favorite beauty brands! The sororities are:

Benefit
Mac
Urban Decay
Laura Mercier
Makeup Forever
Stilla
Nars
Tarte

The order on the first day was:
Tarte
Urban Decay
Laura Mercier
Nars
Makeup Forever
Mac
Stilla
Benefit

Tarte:
I was really nervous about my first party. I didn't know anything about these girls since their "Get To Know Me" events were always at the same time as my Bible study. The first girl I talked to was really nice. We just talked about the basic questions and then she sat me down for their chants. The songs were really cute and I left the room humming to it! The second girl I talked to was kinda awkward, but I didn't really let that phase me.

Urban Decay:
I was really excited for this party since a really good friend of mine is in this sorority! She pretty much tackled me when I walked in the door and took me to meet her friends! We pretty much just did catching up since we had already knew each other!

Laura Mercier:
This was my favorite house from the first semester! I got picked up my a girl I didn't know, but we hit it off talking! We didn't have that much in common, but we just talked about traveling! Their song was amazing and super loud! The girls there seemed like they really love their sorority!

Nars
I came into the room thinking I wouldn't like this sorority very much. However I was so wrong! The girl that picked me up was amazing! We talked about how it was like not growing up in the US and how it was like growing up with another culture! She got all her friends to come talk to me! I was even the last person to the leave the room because she wanted me to meet more people!!

Makeup Forever
This was the house I liked the least for their first semester events. The girl that picked me up was super super boring and just tripped over her words. The whole time I just wanted her to bump me to another person! However the other two girls I talked to were amazing! I wanted to give this chapter another chance!

Stilla
I really really loved this sorority the first semester, but their party was a little bland for me. I just talked about the basics with the girls that talked to me.

Nars
This house had the highest GPA on campus, so I was kinda nervous about coming here. I had a great conversation with the girl that got me! I even met a girl who had lived in the same country that I had!

Benefit
This house was kinda meh to me. I have friends in this sorority, but I didn't really feel like I belonged there. I love their philanthropy though!

My bottom two were:
Tarte
Benefit

I'll update y'all tonight or tomorrow!!!
QFP.
Plus, the word you want is FAZE. "...I really didn't let that FAZE me."

Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, back away from the keyboard. The school you go to is very easy to identify and you have given so much info about yourself that you are then easy to identify as well.

I wish you the best of luck. Enjoy the week but keep all thoughts to yourself for now and then post (quickly) once recruitment is over. Writing it out in a word document so that you are ready to post the whole story in a very short amount of time will win you the most fans around here.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and have a great time! I can't wait to read the rest of your story...I do agree it's best to wait to post until after recruitment is done, just in case any active members from your campus happen to be lurking here during recruitment. .

I love winter recruitment stories, because you've had a chance to get to know sorority women during the fall and there is usually much more insight.

Please be sure to come back and post the rest!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekat View Post
Wait, what about MAC?? MAC is my favorite!
The OP listed Nars twice when she described her first round parties. I assume one of them is actually MAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
You might want to reconsider doing this in real time. You've given an awful lot of identifying information about yourself. It won't be hard for your school members to figure out who you are. You might want to just write it up each day, but wait to post until after bid day.
Agreed. There have been instances where chapters have identified PNMs by their rush stories, and rush rarely ends well for those PNMs, especially if the PNM says anything negative. Write it up, but don't post anything more until rush is over.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I would be interested in an update if you are willing to share.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys sorry this is taking so long but I'll be updating! I ended up getting extremely sick so much so that I had to leave school for a week!