GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,063
1 members and 1,062 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Dying.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

So did your sister turn in her pin/terminate her membership or take alumnae status?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my goodness, this is more suspenseful than my own recruitment. Hope that you get USC!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm amazed that somehow, someone got me to cheer for USC, but here we are.

Ahem... please continue!!! I'm hoping you're wearing red and gold (wow - I really never thought I'd say that).
Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

What? Don't leave us hanging!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Must. Finish. Now.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

HereComesTheSun, please don't Wait 'Till the Sun Shines, Nellie to finish your story!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I was really hoping for the final installment. Also, I generally root against USC as a rule, but here I am hoping USC is victorious.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well later that night, my stomach was in knots and all I could think about was how I made the wrong decision and I should have suicided.

Then at around 1 in the morning, I get a call from my sister telling me I got a bid from Rutgers. I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. I told her to stop kidding because my sister is a jokester, but she was being completely serious and told me that I was in the top 25 of the bid list and she talked to my friends in USC and I was on their first bid list, but not that high, so unless I suicided, I wouldn't have been in USC.

I cried and cried and cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I was so shocked, hurt and confused. I talked to my Rho Gamma and she told me I was under no obligation to go to bid day if I didn't want to and if I still had just one little ounce of wonder if I got in USC to go to bid day breakfast, but after talking to my sister. I knew it wasn't a joke even though I hoped and prayed it was.

I went to the bid day brunch and we waited and waited to see what bid we got or if we're sticking to the theme, get their college acceptance. At the end when our Rho Gamma passed us our envelopes, I could see through and it said Rutgers. So ironically recruitment was like my actual college application process and I didn't get into USC.

I started crying and I cried even harder when my friends were jumping next to me screaming because they all got their number ones and everyone ran out of the room to run outside to their new sisters and I just cried and then left. The worst part in the world was that USC and Rutgers are next door neighbors and just feet from each other, so I had to see everybody in USC screaming and embracing their new members and I had to walk with my tail between my legs to Rutgers.

It's still even hard to this day.

It's been three weeks since recruitment ended and I talked to my big and just dropped today. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to the chapter and one of the older members said: "We know you really liked USC, but we put you in the top 10, so we got to have you instead of them." They said those exact words and that was the end for me.

I talked to the director of Greek Life at my school and explained what happened at Rutgers and what went on and she told me I actually wasn't the first person that this happened to and there are other girls that complained of this happening at Rutgers.

I actually talked to 2 other girls in my pledge class that were legacies and had the same exact thing happen to them.

I feel so disappointed with what happened and I honestly feel robbed of a good sorority recruitment experience. I wish I could make it a happy ending and I wish I could have stuck it out, but I couldn't make myself be a part of something that just wasn't for me.

It hurts telling this story and it hurts to have to see all of my friends in my hall go to swaps, get ready for chapter and have retreats and get excited for homecoming and getting initiated. But I stand by my decision, even if it hurts me.

Last edited by HereComesTheSun; 09-10-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so sorry. That just stinks all the way around.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTheSun View Post
Well later that night, my stomach was in knots and all I could think about was how I made the wrong decision and I should have suicided.

Then at around 1 in the morning, I get a call from my sister telling me I got a bid from ADPi. I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. I told her to stop kidding because my sister is a jokester, but she was being completely serious and told me that I was in the top 25 of the bid list and she talked to my friends in USC and I was on their first bid list, but not that high, so unless I suicided, I wouldn't have been in USC.

I cried and cried and cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I was so shocked, hurt and confused. I talked to my Rho Gamma and she told me I was under no obligation to go to bid day if I didn't want to and if I still had just one little ounce of wonder if I got in USC to go to bid day breakfast, but after talking to my sister. I knew it wasn't a joke even though I hoped and prayed it was.

I went to the bid day brunch and we waited and waited to see what bid we got or if we're sticking to the theme, get their college acceptance. At the end when our Rho Gamma passed us our envelopes, I could see through and it said Rutgers. So ironically recruitment was like my actual college application process and I didn't get into USC.

I started crying and I cried even harder when my friends were jumping next to me screaming because they all got their number ones and everyone ran out of the room to run outside to their new sisters and I just cried and then left. The worst part in the world was that USC and Rutgers are next door neighbors and just feet from each other, so I had to see everybody in USC screaming and embracing their new members and I had to walk with my tail between my legs to Rutgers.

It's still even hard to this day.

It's been three weeks since recruitment ended and I talked to my big and just dropped today. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to the chapter and one of the older members said: "We know you really liked USC, but we put you in the top 10, so we got to have you instead of them." They said those exact words and that was the end for me.

I talked to the director of Greek Life at my school and explained what happened at Rutgers and what went on and she told me I actually wasn't the first person that this happened to and there are other girls that complained of this happening at Rutgers.

I actually talked to 2 other girls in my pledge class that were legacies and had the same exact thing happen to them.

I feel so disappointed with what happened and I honestly feel robbed of a good sorority recruitment experience. I wish I could make it a happy ending and I wish I could have stuck it out, but I couldn't make myself be a part of something that just wasn't for me.

It hurts telling this story and it hurts to have to see all of my friends in my hall go to swaps, get ready for chapter and have retreats and get excited for homecoming and getting initiated. But I stand by my decision, even if it hurts me.
You weren't robbed, you just didn't get the experience you expected.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry you're unhappy. I don't think that if you were actually on your first choice's first bid list that it matters where your second choice ranks you.

Also, those are some pretty egregious recruitment infractions you've been throwing around. You shared those with the head of Greek life and there was no concern?

You tell an enjoyable story, but I think a lot of it is just that, a story.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

I was so hoping that you would get USC. I feel absolutely horrible that you weren't rushed for YOU, but as your sister's Legacy. Yes, we love our legacies, but for who each legacy is, not just for their family.

Well, maybe if you're a five or six generation legacy, there's a lot of pressure...

I hope you get a chance to go through recruitment again, and have a much happier ending!

Last edited by honeychile; 09-10-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I'm sorry you're unhappy. I don't think that if you were actually on your first choice's first bid list that it matters where your second choice ranks you.

Also, those are some pretty egregious recruitment infractions you've been throwing around. You shared those with the head of Greek life and there was no concern?

You tell an enjoyable story, but I think a lot of it is just that, a story.
It's not just a story and I wouldn't go through all of the trouble to tell a story that didn't even have a good ending.

I talked to the director of Greek Life and she said since I wasn't the only person this happened to at that chapter, that they were looking into it, but that was 2 days after I got my bid, so I have no idea what the status of that investigation is.

Before I talked to the director, I sent her an email and in the email she said:

"Each chapter submitted a list of the women who attended their parties on Preference Day. For some, that was 115 women and for others, it was 180 women. Quota (the number in a pledge class) was set at 52, so we essentially match women in the top 52 of their list. If a PNM is higher on another’s list, she will go to that chapter and the other sorority will look at number 53, and so on"

I did not just make up a story just for the heck of it. I wish it didn't matter where my second choice put me if I was on my first choices bid list, but apparently thats the way it is.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some inconsistencies here, however. I don't know the size of quota where you were so I'll make up some numbers. Let's say quota was 30. The first 30 people are put on the list in ALPHABETICAL order, not priority. There is not a #1 pick on the list. So you were not placed in their top 10 (unless quota was 10). If you were also on the first bid list of your preferred chapter but further down the list, let's say position #20, that doesn't make any sense because USC's first bid list is also alphabetical. You would have had the exact same position on both lists. Positions 31 and lower are placed in priority order. By the rules of most sororities (and it sounds true in this case), if you are a legacy and get invited to preference, you automatically go on the first bid list. Which, again, is alphabetical order. Person #10 has no more priority than person #30. If you put USC as your first choice and did not get into that chapter, they did in fact NOT have you on their first bid list. I'm sorry, but that's just how it works some times.