GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,563
Threads: 115,240
Welcome to our newest member, oroteonovizi
» Online Users: 351
1 members and 350 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I emailed panhellenic a few days ago but I haven't gotten a response yet so I was wondering if anyone on here might know? I was just wondering if I should be able to sign up for recruitment yet? The website lets me agree to the terms but then when I try to fill out anything I get a blank page with the Greek logo at the top...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Not totally sure on this but I think registration starts April 1st or at least that's what their website says on the side(:
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah it's april! my mom told me after I had posted, which made me feel a little dumb haha!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Would either a maxi dress or skirt be okay for any of the recruitment days?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Skirts would be fine for some (potentially most of the days not 100% sure on the first few/pref). As for a maxi dress, I suppose it depends on how it looks. I feel like many of them are very very casual almost like beach cover ups.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

okay that's good to know! The ones that I was thinking of don't look to beachy to me but knowing that they often do come across very casual I won't make them a first choice of what to wear.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Also check out gogreek.wsu.edu if you havne't already Good Luck with recruitment.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't start the thread but thanks! I definitely have checked the website though
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

A few people have said that wsu recruitment is not too competitive. It is definitely not on the same scale of southern schools/Texas/etc but in the past year or two it has become more competitive due to increased enrollment and the numbers are only getting bigger! Recs aren't completely necessary but they would be super helpful of you are more of a shy personality/don't have stellar grades. They definitely can't hurt in any case!
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^I don't mean to sound defensive, but I don't think any of us said WSU's recruitment isn't too competitive. I think we agreed with you - it's competitive, but it isn't the SEC.

Last edited by AXOmom; 06-17-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I definitely never imagined getting so much advice from starting this thread. Thank you guys so much! Coug2012 hopefully we get to meet during rush(:

I only have one rec to one chapter so hopefully I dont become shy between now and rush week!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caylaashley View Post
Wow, I definitely never imagined getting so much advice from starting this thread. Thank you guys so much! Coug2012 hopefully we get to meet during rush(:

I only have one rec to one chapter so hopefully I dont become shy between now and rush week!
That would be awesome!I think I will end up having a rec to 6 chapters, hopefully that is enough! Have you gone on alive yet?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethomeXO View Post
A few people have said that wsu recruitment is not too competitive. It is definitely not on the same scale of southern schools/Texas/etc but in the past year or two it has become more competitive due to increased enrollment and the numbers are only getting bigger! Recs aren't completely necessary but they would be super helpful of you are more of a shy personality/don't have stellar grades. They definitely can't hurt in any case!
Increased enrollment doesn't make a recruitment more competitive since RFM has been used, more women are placed. Just look at what quota has been over the past few years (source: irishpipes threads) and how it has increased, almost doubled in fact, with the increase in enrollment and an economic downturn.

2011 quota/40 total/115
2010 quota/34 total/98
2009 quota/38 total/98
2008 quota/36 total/98
2007 quota/33
2006 quota/23

To get the clearest picture we'd need the number of women who signed up for rush, and how many were placed, but I am confident that it is at least at 85%, if not 90%. I'll give you that some dimension of competition can exist if a certain chapter has been naughty due to Risk Management issues and either is or isn't recruiting during formal rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
^^^I don't mean to sound defensive, but I don't think any of us said WSU's recruitment isn't too competitive. I think we agreed with you - it's competitive, but it isn't the SEC.
I haven't heard even one rumor or story that smells like a knockoff of a Designer Impostor that there is anything SEC like about Wazzu recruitment, ever. There may be a few individuals who are cray cray in the hay hay, but nothing en masse like we read about on GC.

I know I'd remember the story of someone who went to EWU, PSU, or Boise Clown College to rush because it was easier and then try and transfer in to one of the larger schools. I think it is actually the opposite in our region, statistically harder to get into the big flagship schools than a particular sorority as college admissions don't use quota additions.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota additions for college....hmmm, there's an interesting idea..

Totally agree with the rest of your post.

Not to knock the SEC or the South in general. I know it's not fair to paint everyone with the same brush, and I'm sure we sometimes hear the more extreme examples on here, but I think the "I HAVE to go to Camp Watamazuki, go to East Mississippi Prepatory High School, get 18,000 recs, and attend college sorority events and alumnae teas from the age of three so I can be a Zeta Zeta Zeta or I will be a social disgrace to my family and my entire community and be forced to live in isolation, friendless and without a job or spouse when I return home" would strike most people in the Northwest as complete and total looney tune bat-s*** crazy talk.

That doesn't describe WSU. It is competitive in the way most flagship state schools in most places are competitive. It isn't a breeze - you can't have a 2.6, wear an old sweatshirt and ripped jeans, put your hair up in a messy bun, decide you are only interested in 2 houses or you're done, and expect a good outcome. As I mentioned in the previous post - I don't think any of us suggested that (we talked more about Cougar cheese - didn't we?). A girl needs to have decent grades, keep an open mind, present herself well, and get recs if she can.

I'm guessing the placement rate is 90% and that of the 10% who don't get placed - 7% probably drops out. That's a complete guess and maybe it just reflects daughter's experience, but again, she didn't know anyone (and her last set of friends went through in 2010) that got cut entirely. She knew 2 who dropped (not including her which made 3). The 2 who dropped got placed through COB. Everyone else got a bid somewhere.

Now I will say, the "certain chapter being naughty and not being able to recruit" thing did happen and it won't be recruiting this year. Not sure how or if that will affect things.

Their numbers are going up for the same reason most school's numbers are going up in recruitment (I imagine)- more freshman coming in...They will probably have a large increase this year because UW, in an extremely controversial move, chose to lower the number of Washington freshman they would take in favor of OOS students, so WSU picked up a lot of that slack with the largest freshman class they've seen in quite a while.

Last edited by AXOmom; 06-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I was surprised to see a crest for Alpha Omicron Pi on the website, especially because they quote the AOPi party line on not using a crest on their info page.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 06-17-2012 at 12:47 PM.