GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,487
Threads: 115,372
Welcome to our newest member, kasra

Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I was also shocked to see cut-offs on the Mizzou examples. I would only wear those to wash my car. I think if there are shorts and T-shirt days, the safest would be Sperrys or sandals (not flip-flops obviously).

I am also from Colorado and was slightly offended by the socks with sandals comment. It's not THAT bad here. Okay, my dad really does wear them, but the only thing he ever rushed was the offensive line.

I guess ever since Crocs, Colorado is known for ugly shoes. My high school was full of girls who wore Vans every day, but that is not me. A lot of people here also wear those "These are not shoes" shoes, which look like Sperrys for hippies to me. I'm not a chaco girl either, but I think if you wear them normally then you probably could on shorts days.

I think the kitten heel suggestions are coming from alumnae. I don't think they are terrible, but seriously what 18 year old wears those? I'm not buying anything for recruitment that I would never wear again. I do think it would be odd to NOT wear heels with a preference dress unless you had an injury.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackRush View Post
I think the kitten heel suggestions are coming from alumnae. I don't think they are terrible, but seriously what 18 year old wears those?
One who doesn't want to throw her back out?

One who already has a boooottaaaaay and super high heels just accentuate it to a ridiculous degree?

One who is a tad self-conscious about her height (remember these are girls just out of HS where half the guys haven't grown yet) and already has to keep herself from slouching when she wears flats, let alone heels?

As I said, maybe girlfriend in the picture has the personality to carry it off and is working it like the rent is due, but I know that I would have been hideously uncomfortable in the 80s version of that outfit. Discomfort is never a good look for rush.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year at Mizzou was 2005, but I've been back assisting and in an advisory capacity for my chapter since then (and my biological sister is an active there at the moment). So while my info is current, just take it with the knowledge that I'm a little older than the actives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradokat View Post
Also, I have tinsel extensions in my hair right now and I plan to go back to feather extensions soon, but I was wondering how popular these are in missouri/at mizzou? I don't want sororities to cut me just because I have weird stuff in my hair lol
I'm going to say no on the tinsel, but you could probably pull off A feather. A lot of the girls do "feather parties" kind of like a Mary Kay thing—someone will host and everyone comes over with wine, etc. More fun than going to the salon. Plus, if you're not planning on changing your style permanently, you do have to let a bit of yourself shine through when dressed up for rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It says that the rush fee covers (among other things) 3 t-shirts - I'm guessing they get 2 for the first round (over 2 days) and one for philanthropy round. That is covered in the book the girls get I'm sure. I don't think they are saying the rushees should just show up in any old random t-shirt.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
Ummm NO. No Tom's shoes. No birks. Say yes to ballet flats and kitten heels. Even really cute espadrilles (the wedgy cute ones, not Tom's shoe style) would work with an adorable sun dress. You should really visit the polyvore thread and look through the sets. Missouri-- at least where I come from in Missouri, is pretty conservative and preppy. You should be polished down to the last detail but not overdone.
Yes (you'll see birks and Toms on campus, but those same girls will be wearing nicer shoes for recruitment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
I was surprised to see that in both days, the recruitment t-shirt was paired with denim (I think the shorts even looked like cut-offs?). Is that really appropriate for Mizzou, or should PNMs really wear nicer shorts or pants? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma_sailor10 View Post
I just went through rush at Mizzou last year, and that is mostly what the girls wore. Some chose to wear khaki shorts or even skirts, but that was a very small portion of the group. Most people kept it pretty cute-but-casual.
I don't want to say you're remembering this incorrectly, but there was certainly variance in what many of the groups were wearing last year—some contained more um, casually-dressed girls than others. We'll assume different Pi Chis told their groups different things on the first day of Open House, but the actives expected girls to have it figured out by the next day.
The pictures in the PHA book are very, very, casual versions. In an effort to make it more no-frills and get more people involved, yes, they've shown pictures of dressed down examples. Don't wear what they're wearing. It's like how they tell you recs aren't "necessary." Dress it up.

Edit: that pref dress is cute, but you should absolutely be wearing something that a)fits b)allows you to sit. Err on the side of conservative.

Last edited by annabella; 07-30-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One who doesn't want to throw her back out?

One who already has a boooottaaaaay and super high heels just accentuate it to a ridiculous degree?

One who is a tad self-conscious about her height (remember these are girls just out of HS where half the guys haven't grown yet) and already has to keep herself from slouching when she wears flats, let alone heels?

As I said, maybe girlfriend in the picture has the personality to carry it off and is working it like the rent is due, but I know that I would have been hideously uncomfortable in the 80s version of that outfit. Discomfort is never a good look for rush.
I think 33girl is secretly talking to my mother (or is in fact my mother).

The heels in that picture are not the kind I was thinking of. You have to wonder if Mizzou purposely dressed those girls badly to weed out the PNM's that try to copy those styles instead of using the common sense God gave them.

I'm just saying that most young women 18-20 years old do wear heels when wearing a nice dress. Of course I'm bringing flip flops or something to run between houses... if I even make it to pref night.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Lane Swerve...Colorado Stereotype...

Quote:
Oh and I'm going to save time and stereotype you since you're from Colorado, but don't even consider socks and sandals.
You seriously think people in Colorado dress like that? The stereotype mentioned is typical of Northwest Metro Denver, specifically, Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont and Westminster.

The OP is most likely from Northwest Metro Denver, specifically, Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont or Westminster. THAT IS NOT TYPICAL OF COLORADO. I live between two of largest highschools in the state and have yet to see kids wearing any of the clothes that the OP mentioned.

I have not seen anyone in the Metro Denver wearing sandals and socks. I am not sure where you got that stereotype. Ditto for Toms. I have yet to see anyone trying on Toms at Nordies, although they sell them. As for Birks, you don't see them all that often, either. Again, you will see them ore in Boulder along with Teva's.

The funny thing is that I have seen Bid Day Photos on here of girls in Uggs from other schools outside of Colorado.

Oh and for the record, not all of us in Colorado smoke pot. I hate the stuff and look forward to voting against its legalization here. I just thought I'd say that because of all the media attention lately.

Instead of wearing Birkenstocks, I am wearing my Coach platform sandals...SO THERE.

<end of rant>
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
You seriously think people in Colorado dress like that? The stereotype mentioned is typical of Northwest Metro Denver, specifically, Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont and Westminster.

The OP is most likely from Northwest Metro Denver, specifically, Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont or Westminster. THAT IS NOT TYPICAL OF COLORADO. I live between two of largest highschools in the state and have yet to see kids wearing any of the clothes that the OP mentioned.

I have not seen anyone in the Metro Denver wearing sandals and socks. I am not sure where you got that stereotype. Ditto for Toms. I have yet to see anyone trying on Toms at Nordies, although they sell them. As for Birks, you don't see them all that often, either. Again, you will see them ore in Boulder along with Teva's.

The funny thing is that I have seen Bid Day Photos on here of girls in Uggs from other schools outside of Colorado.

Oh and for the record, not all of us in Colorado smoke pot. I hate the stuff and look forward to voting against its legalization here. I just thought I'd say that because of all the media attention lately.

Instead of wearing Birkenstocks, I am wearing my Coach platform sandals...SO THERE.

<end of rant>
lol.... chill girl! Don't be getting all pretentious with your crazy coach shoes.

Mean ol VS!

(A friend from college teaches in CO, her FB pics show all sorts of socks n' sandals combos! I just chuckle, it suits her personality.)
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was also shocked to see cut-offs on the Mizzou examples. I would only wear those to wash my car. I think if there are shorts and T-shirt days, the safest would be Sperrys or sandals (not flip-flops obviously).

I am also from Colorado and was slightly offended by the socks with sandals comment. It's not THAT bad here. Okay, my dad really does wear them, but the only thing he ever rushed was the offensive line.

I guess ever since Crocs, Colorado is known for ugly shoes. My high school was full of girls who wore Vans every day, but that is not me. A lot of people here also wear those "These are not shoes" shoes, which look like Sperrys for hippies to me. I'm not a chaco girl either, but I think if you wear them normally then you probably could on shorts days.

I think the kitten heel suggestions are coming from alumnae. I don't think they are terrible, but seriously what 18 year old wears those? I'm not buying anything for recruitment that I would never wear again. I do think it would be odd to NOT wear heels with a preference dress unless you had an injury.
Quote:

<end of rant>
You two need to ratchet it way down. I said what I said for a reason, because I have seen it in person and have answered the question when asked. I said it for the benefit of PNMs who may not know any better and if either of you think I'm off the mark then so be it. I'd rather say it and have some PNM or parent read it and know it isn't a good idea than have her do it and wonder if it had any effect on recruitment.

Yet again, stuck all up on kitten heel when what many of us are saying is a heel under four inches is something to look into. If shoes that cause pain, look out of place, make walking difficult or were borrowed from Nomi Malone at Cheetah's are what PNMs, and some collegians and alumnae think are de rigueur for preference then so be it, but everyone else reading don't think there aren't alternatives, there are. I've already got my letters & sisterhood so it really has no effect on me in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
lol.... chill girl! Don't be getting all pretentious with your crazy coach shoes.

Mean ol VS!

(A friend from college teaches in CO, her FB pics show all sorts of socks n' sandals combos! I just chuckle, it suits her personality.)
Srsly, I'm mean for trying to help people. I'm obviously trying to crush recruitment dreams by suggesting people wear shoes that look and feel good, but don't look overly comfortable. I own platform and four inch heels that were custom made (thanks friends who are professionals in the drag and burlesque industry!) but if they aren't appropriate for preference, even though they are built for supporting physical activity.

Granted it was the result of genetics (foot shape) and years of ballet and dance, in addition to questionable footwear choices in my youth; but after having $20,000 worth of surgery, losing the ability to be fully mobile and doing painful physical therapy for over two years, and I still have bouts with pain as well as a loss of feeling on parts of my feet there's a reason I keep at it on sensible shoe choices. What woman barely over 20 wants to hear that she needs medicine for degenerative osteoarthritis and if she doesn't go through with surgery that she'll be crippled later in life? I wish someone would have talked to me about what could have happened as a result of dance and shoes therefore being able to prevent or delay a serious and disruptive medical issue. Let the bitches hobble.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
hootyhoo I disagree with your kitten heel advice. In general the term kitten heel isn't well defined or understood, and is frequently used incorrectly. Originally it was the description for heels shorter than a stiletto, higher than a flat, and for young women. Look at these 94 items from Nordstrom that were a result of searching "kitten heel" and I see plenty of things that are neither outdated or matronly, and are appropriate for women 17-22. http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?keyword...edictiveSearch Heels under four inches and kitten heels will look matronly when worn with an outfit that doesn't complement the shoe. Women need to figure out what the look or theme of their dress/outfit is to find shoes that make the look congruent. The bigger problem is that most of the dresses out there and women this age choose, don't even come to their knee and are too short or too club trend to carry off a lower or kitten heel.

I don't think any PNM, regardless of being under 5'10" should consider high heels a must for preference or any other situation. High heels are often defined at 3.5" inches and above, and those aren't for every woman. Women need to find shoes that are comfortable, walkable, appropriate for the occasion, safe, and if that is not a high heel then so be it.

I don't personally adhere to trends from fashion week(s), but kitten heels (Stella McCartney, Valentino) were popular at Paris Fashion Week last October, with the collections shown at that time for spring and summer 2011. Anything that was haute couture has well made it into ready to wear lines and would be fine for a place like Mizzou. More have been seen this summer in Britain, & with the Duchess of Cambridge rocking them I can imagine many 17-22 year old sorority women seeing her as a fashion and style icon to look to and emulate. Christian Louboutin, Oscar De Renta, Jimmy Choo, Tory Burch, Miu Miu, DKNY, Pedro Garcia, Badgley Mischka, Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman and more all have low or kitten heel shoes available.
I'd much rather see a tasteful kitten heel on a young girl, than the hooker shoes I've been seeing lately... just my take!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.

Last edited by summer_gphib; 07-31-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Originally posted by VandalSquirrel: Granted it was the result of genetics (foot shape) and years of ballet and dance, in addition to questionable footwear choices in my youth; but after having $20,000 worth of surgery, losing the ability to be fully mobile and doing painful physical therapy for over two years, and I still have bouts with pain as well as a loss of feeling on parts of my feet there's a reason I keep at it on sensible shoe choices. What woman barely over 20 wants to hear that she needs medicine for degenerative osteoarthritis and if she doesn't go through with surgery that she'll be crippled later in life? I wish someone would have talked to me about what could have happened as a result of dance and shoes therefore being able to prevent or delay a serious and disruptive medical issue. Let the bitches hobble.[/QUOTE]

I was being kind of flippant about what is a serious subject for you, so I want to sincerely apologize. It's easy to focus on something superficial like shoes when you are nervous about upcoming recruitment, but I know in reality it is not a big deal what kind of shoes anyone wears. And I was actually agreeing with the Colorado stereotype. I live in the mountains and most of my friends only wear makeup and do their hair for prom! Part of why I'm going to college in the South and going through recruitment is because I love things a little more formal and enjoy dressing up.

Last edited by RazorbackRush; 07-31-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: can't use the quote function right
Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, somehow I messed up the quote function above.

Last edited by RazorbackRush; 07-31-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

<end of rant>
It is also a pretty accurate stereotype for the foothills (Morrison, Evergreen, Conifer, Bailey). Not socks and sandals as much as just practical (i.e. ugly) shoes of all varieties. Of course three feet of snow will do that to a girl. There's nothing like wearing your sandals out on a warm morning in June only to have it snow in the afternoon. Colorado is such a beautiful place that maybe no one notices shoes as much here!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Yet again, stuck all up on kitten heel when what many of us are saying is a heel under four inches is something to look into. If shoes that cause pain, look out of place, make walking difficult or were borrowed from Nomi Malone at Cheetah's are what PNMs, and some collegians and alumnae think are de rigueur for preference then so be it, but everyone else reading don't think there aren't alternatives, there are.
What if they're Ver-sayce? Are they OK then?

LOL at the defense of Colorado. That sounds like everyone here the other week when Pgh got on GQ's worst dressed list and they ragged about everyone wearing Steelers gear all the time.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was being kind of flippant about what is a serious subject for you, so I want to sincerely apologize. It's easy to focus on something superficial like shoes when you are nervous about upcoming recruitment, but I know in reality it is not a big deal what kind of shoes anyone wears. And I was actually agreeing with the Colorado stereotype. I live in the mountains and most of my friends only wear makeup and do their hair for prom! Part of why I'm going to college in the South and going through recruitment is because I love things a little more formal and enjoy dressing up.
It isn't that serious, what is serious is how expensive the shoes that fit me that I want are, most start over $100 and that's unacceptable.

At the root of all this is confidence, being comfortable both physically and mentally/emotionally. If someone's feet are killing her, she can't walk, looks like she's playing dress up, she falls or trips, and just puts off a vibe of not being okay in a situation, it won't help at all. I got a horrible allergic reaction the other day, I actually scratched myself in my sleep I broke the skin, I was blotchy, puffy, and had hives, but I still managed to be flirty with some guy in the grocery store and forget that I wanted out of my skin.

I really was lucky that I got over being highly concerned what other people thought in early high school, and as long as I am appropriately dressed people can eat it for all I care. I've been served well that I can go into almost any situation and be okay, if not down right charming, even if I am covered in dirt, wearing dirty clothes, and haven't showered in days. I wouldn't show up to rush like that, but I know if I got a call to be ready in an hour to meet the Obamas or leave for a week at a site I'd be able to handle both in dress and manner.

For some it comes naturally, and others not so much. Fake it 'til you make it is not a bad idea if one doesn't over do it and come off over confident.

Quote:
What if they're Ver-sayce? Are they OK then?

LOL at the defense of Colorado. That sounds like everyone here the other week when Pgh got on GQ's worst dressed list and they ragged about everyone wearing Steelers gear all the time.
I've been eating a lot of brown rice and vegetables, there's always someone younger and hungrier coming down the stairs after me

Oh, like how everyone in Boise wears bluorange all the time because they are bandwagon Bronco fans? The team has that gimmick blue turf and since they just changed conferences they were told they can no longer wear their blue uniforms while playing at home on the blue turf. I swear there was more upset with those uniforms than telling us we can't have matching rush outfits anymore.

I think they should go with all orange uniforms. I mean since they were ranked so highly by CBS/SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ime/index.html in the crime stats of players, they could get double duty and save time by wearing orange to do their community service or weekend jail and then show up on the field.