GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,178
0 members and 2,178 guests
No Members online

Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

dropping a sorority to go to a cc?!

so right now i kind of have a huge problem. i decided that i want to transfer to a uc after 2 years, i am a freshman right now and am not too fond of the area i live in. but i am in a sorority right now and to transfer i would need to go to the cc in my town, and have to drop out of my sorority (right?) but i know a lot of the girls are not going to be to crazy about that.
i just wanted to know your opinions, are they going to hate me if i drop? i still would like to get invited to their parties and hang out with them but feel like i am going to be unwanted? i just don't know if it would be worth it.
thanks for your help
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided18 View Post
so right now i kind of have a huge problem. i decided that i want to transfer to a uc after 2 years, i am a freshman right now and am not too fond of the area i live in. but i am in a sorority right now and to transfer i would need to go to the cc in my town, and have to drop out of my sorority (right?) but i know a lot of the girls are not going to be to crazy about that.
i just wanted to know your opinions, are they going to hate me if i drop? i still would like to get invited to their parties and hang out with them but feel like i am going to be unwanted? i just don't know if it would be worth it.
thanks for your help
We can't tell you how someone else is going to feel about you leaving. That depends on your chapter and how they feel about it.

Also, depending on which sorority you're in, if are initiated and transfer schools (as long as you are in good standing) you are an alumna, which means you are still a sister, but not a collegian anymore.

I will say this, depending on the sorority, you won't be able to attend mixers and such because those are budgeted for those women who are paying dues to the chapter (you obviously won't be doing so because you are transfering).

I cannot speak as to whether they'll ignore you or not. However, do understand that the girls will move on and have other things to do, so it's possible that they won't all be like "OMG I miss undecided SOOOO much" all the time. It sometimes happens that women who transfer expect every single girl in the chapter to keep in touch all the time, and it's not always possible for them to do that. It doesn't always mean there are hard feelings though.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-13-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

You do not have to go to a community college to transfer to a UC. You do have to be very selective about the classes you take so that they will transfer. It's time to see your academic advisor.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
You do not have to go to a community college to transfer to a UC. You do have to be very selective about the classes you take so that they will transfer. It's time to see your academic advisor.
Attempting to transfer from a 4-year to a UC is extremely difficult, especially right now. Priority consideration is given to current CA community college students, and there are more than enough of these students to fill the enrollment targets for most campuses. OP is going to need exceptional grades and a compelling reason for wanting to leave her 4-year. "Not fond of the area" is not a compelling reason. Even without knowing her academic history, I would say her chances are slim at best in the current admissions climate, so there is probably no need to bring this up to the sorority. It's likely not going to happen.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am only a freshman right now at a 4 year, and next year i am planning on moving to the CC that is in the same town as my 4 year and then transferring. The reason i am concerned is because i am going to be living in the same town as these girls for a year without being in their sorority anymore
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

hijack -

What is a UC??
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
hijack -

What is a UC??
A University of California campus?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a mom's advice- get your ducks in a row academically FIRST. Then deal with the sorority. I can't imagine they will be ticked off at you for transferring. Transfers happen all the time, especially in this economic climate.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Just a mom's advice- get your ducks in a row academically FIRST. Then deal with the sorority. I can't imagine they will be ticked off at you for transferring. Transfers happen all the time, especially in this economic climate.
Yeah, exactly. If you have to go alum or self-terminate for some reason, I don't think they will be upset - it's not like you're going to join another sorority at the community college. Just stay in touch with them - you can still be a friend even if you can't be an active sister.

LatinaAlumna -are you saying she shouldn't bother doing this because she won't be able to get into the UC even if she does come from a comm college?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Also, depending on which sorority you're in, if are initiated and transfer schools (as long as you are in good standing) you are an alumna, which means you are still a sister, but not a collegian anymore.

I will say this, depending on the sorority, you won't be able to attend mixers and such because those are budgeted for those women who are paying dues to the chapter (you obviously won't be doing so because you are transfering).

I cannot speak as to whether they'll ignore you or not. However, do understand that the girls will move on and have other things to do, so it's possible that they won't all be like "OMG I miss undecided SOOOO much" all the time. It sometimes happens that women who transfer expect every single girl in the chapter to keep in touch all the time, and it's not always possible for them to do that. It doesn't always mean there are hard feelings though.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Are there any NPCs that force initiated members in good standing to terminate their membership upon transferring? I don't know the policies of all 26 NPCs, but no one has ever brought it up that their org had such a policy. I'd imagine that as long as you're an initiated member in good standing, you'll have alumnae status as a result of leaving your university.

Since you will be in the same town, you *might* be able to go to events, but you might have to pay for them individually.

If you want to keep in touch with your sisters, make an active effort to do that, instead of waiting around for them to come to you.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Attempting to transfer from a 4-year to a UC is extremely difficult, especially right now. Priority consideration is given to current CA community college students, and there are more than enough of these students to fill the enrollment targets for most campuses. OP is going to need exceptional grades and a compelling reason for wanting to leave her 4-year. "Not fond of the area" is not a compelling reason. Even without knowing her academic history, I would say her chances are slim at best in the current admissions climate, so there is probably no need to bring this up to the sorority. It's likely not going to happen.
I stand corrected. It wasn't nearly as hard when I was considering the UC program back in the day!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

LatinaAlumna -are you saying she shouldn't bother doing this because she won't be able to get into the UC even if she does come from a comm college?
No, my comments were in response to unicorn's comment that a person need not go to a CC to transfer to a UC campus.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
I stand corrected. It wasn't nearly as hard when I was considering the UC program back in the day!
It is shocking to see all the changes that have been made in the past couple of years due to high demand with a decreasing budget. This year, in particular, has been the worst.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

most often, if you leave a school and go to a different school, you would qualify for alumna status in your sorority. if your new school has a chapter of your sorority, you might try to affiliate and become a member of the new chapter, or you could choose to remain an alumna. some sororities seem to accept any transfer member of their sorority, while others meet the sister several times to determine if she would "fit in" with their chapter-if they decide that she would fit in, they will offer her an invitation to affiliate.

as others have said, your sisters should not get mad at you for transferring to a community college. hopefully they will miss you and be sad that you won't be with them.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
most often, if you leave a school and go to a different school, you would qualify for alumna status in your sorority. if your new school has a chapter of your sorority, you might try to affiliate and become a member of the new chapter, or you could choose to remain an alumna.
I think the problem is that she is transferring to the CC first, and in some sororities once you go alum (regardless of the reason) you can't go back.