GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,544
0 members and 2,544 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Got a text from my daughter. She has a full schedule of her "top twelve." She's glad to be in a t-shirt and shorts and comfy shoes today. They can visit up to seven chapters for skit round.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

AuburnMom08- remind your daughter that she isn't "cutting" chapters. She is just ordering them by preference. The problem that PNMs get into is that they start thinking "Why does this chapter keep asking me back? I already cut them." They haven't cut anyone. All the ordered list does is give Panhel a way to decrease the number of invitations for PNMs who are invited back to more chapters than they can return to in a day.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam713 View Post
Got a text from my daughter. She has a full schedule of her "top twelve." She's glad to be in a t-shirt and shorts and comfy shoes today. They can visit up to seven chapters for skit round.
Sounds like a great start for your daughter!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

The young lady I wrote a rec for is glad to be in comfy shoes today, too! She has enjoyed the whole process so far and likes all the groups. I don't know any details, but I'm pretty sure she had a full schedule yesterday. Her mom hasn't been able to talk to her in detail because something is wrong with her daughter's computer and her daughter didn't want to text all that info about 12 GLOs. Her roomie situation kind of took precedence in the communication arena over a happy recruitment.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII Angel, Thanks don't think I understand that clearly so I am the one who interpreted it as "cut" sinceas I recall from when I went through Rush we did indeed cut them and not go back there. So if she "ranked" them in the bottom five and then 2 others that were ranked say bottom 6th and bottom 7th did not invite her back how many parties will she have to go to? She was hoping not to have to go to the full 12 parties as she is certain several of those 12 aren't a fit for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
AuburnMom08- remind your daughter that she isn't "cutting" chapters. She is just ordering them by preference. The problem that PNMs get into is that they start thinking "Why does this chapter keep asking me back? I already cut them." They haven't cut anyone. All the ordered list does is give Panhel a way to decrease the number of invitations for PNMs who are invited back to more chapters than they can return to in a day.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Computer Glitches

One year at Auburn I remember on the first day of Philanthropy Day the sororities' party lists did not match the PNMs'. I believe it took several hours to sort it all out. The PNMs had the right sororities but just at the wrong times.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

panhellenic tries to give every pnm a full schedule(and make sure that all sorority parties are full). so, if your daughter ranked 7 houses as #1 and then the other 5 after that in descending order, and 2 or her top ranked 7 did not ask her back, choices 2 and 3 would be moved up to #1's, if they invited her back. if that didn't work, the computer goes to the next listed and tries to match that and on and on until the pnm has a full schedule or all her possibilities have been exhausted.

another look at a house on a different day has changed many a pnms mind.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmom09 View Post
AOII Angel, Thanks don't think I understand that clearly so I am the one who interpreted it as "cut" sinceas I recall from when I went through Rush we did indeed cut them and not go back there. So if she "ranked" them in the bottom five and then 2 others that were ranked say bottom 6th and bottom 7th did not invite her back how many parties will she have to go to? She was hoping not to have to go to the full 12 parties as she is certain several of those 12 aren't a fit for her.

Ooh...that's not a good idea. She doesn't want to be seen with an open party slot. People always assume they cut her rather than the other way around. Not fair but factual.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter's pinning ceremony was a few weeks after she got her bid - maybe a month? I don't remember specifically but it wasn't too awful long after. Different sororities may do it differently but hers was only the current members and the other new pledges.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

It will vary according to sorority but all of them will have the ceremony fairly soon. If your daughter does end up pledging the same sorority as you, you are generally welcome at all events as long as you notify the chapter President that you wish to attend. Having said that, I think that giving your daughter a little room at first wouldn't be a bad idea. This is the time she is starting to bond with her new sisters and getting her feet wet at school. I do encourage you to think about being present during initiation instead should she pledge your sorority. But lets not put the cart before the horse, she has a long way to go before you even need to think about that!

I DO encourage you to be present on Bid Day. Auburn welcomes family members to Bid Day and many attend. You won't be able to sit with your daughter but you will be able to be there for her after she gets her bid and be able to congratulate/console her. After she gets her bid she will be expected to go to her new sorority for refreshments and pictures and to get her 'Bid Day Bag' full of lot's of lettered goodies! Families are welcome to have refreshments as well and meet the officers and advisor. Every year I see parents who are instrumental in getting their devastated daughters to go and give their 2nd/3rd choice sorority a chance. With a little encouragement from Mom, most girls are able to recover their emotions and put on a happy face. It isn't long before almost all of the girls are glad they did go and didn't blow off their bid on Bid Day! Also, if your daughter does not get a bid to your sorority this may be the only chance you get to really celebrate with her in real time!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have anything to contribute- I just think it's neat reading this thread from the moms' perspectives instead of the PNMs'.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this generally an extremely busy day for current members? My daughter has only called me once today when they had a lunch break and she hasn't answered my texts for the last few hours...that's very unlike her and I'm curious as to what's going on at this step in the process.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
Is this generally an extremely busy day for current members? My daughter has only called me once today when they had a lunch break and she hasn't answered my texts for the last few hours...that's very unlike her and I'm curious as to what's going on at this step in the process.
I feel pretty comfortable answering this question, though I went to a west coast school: your daughter is probably EXTREMELY busy. Even after the madness of the parties are over (which likely would keep her away from her phone for many hours straight), there will be a lot of paperwork to organize (she has to sort out all the girls she met today!), a light dinner to grab (maybe) and then voting, then preparing for tomorrow's event. I remember many a night where the actives were up until midnight just voting, let alone preparing for the next day. Especially if there are many, many women coming through, all of the prep work for each round's voting will take a long time. Especially if the recruitment is even somewhat frilly, there will be lots of things to set up for tomorrow.

ETA: She may have been instructed to turn her phone off or leave it on silent in her room during parties (so it doesn't ring somewhere in the house in the middle of a round). At my school, we'd only get 10-15 minutes between parties, which was barely enough time to write up notes on who we met and get organized for the next round, let alone check a phone or text.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 08-11-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Between this party and the next set will come the massive cuts mandated by Panhellenic, where some sororities have to cut the majority of PNMs. They're probably deeply involved in membership selection sessions now and I'm really glad I'm not an active nowadays.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmom09 View Post
You have to watch out for this because she's only met them for one party. If she were to be dropped by the groups she really likes, would she prefer not to have any options?

I certainly don't mean that I want that for your daughter, but girls need to be careful. If they get cut by their favs in the next couple rounds, oftentimes they'd be happy to have some chapters to fall back on.

Only if your daughter knows that she'd rather not be greek than go back at XYZ should she be thinking in those terms with the first batch of invites, IMO.

It never hurts to have groups wanting you.