GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Bringing the Greek Community Together

Hey all,

So I am running for a Panhellenic Council position called Membership Director which involves bring the Greek community closer to each other. I was wondering if any of you had ideas on how to do that. So far, I was thinking of a few ideas.

1. A Scavenger Hunt
- Sororities and Fraternities would be assigned scavenger hunts in which they would have to find at least one member from each Greek organization, a fun fact about each of them, etc.

2. "You know you're Greek when..."
- I would want to create a facebook group called "you're know you're Greek when..." in which people could make fun statements such as "you know you're Greek when you know what your sisters/brothers are thinking."

Just small things like that. Any ideas you guys have are greatly appreciated!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, the "cutesy" things didn't really work for the LGLO/MC Greeks. If folks wanted to join forces, it was with some sort of service or programming. Maybe consider doing something like that.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
On my campus, the "cutesy" things didn't really work for the LGLO/MC Greeks. If folks wanted to join forces, it was with some sort of service or programming. Maybe consider doing something like that.
Co-sign.

I think there is a basic question that would need to be answered here: What do you mean by "Greek"? Do you just mean NPC/IFC orgs, or do you also mean NPHC, LGLO, Multicultural and other social GLOs that may be on your campus but that may be outside the NPC/IFC tent. I think the parameters of "good ideas" are going to vary depending on how this question is answered.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ditto. They had to force my chapter to participate in the Greek Unity events in the 1990s and we still did not participate in all of them. We considered them stupid and a waste of time, particularly for a small chapter that was busy (as far as Greekdom is concerned) planning campus events, parties as fun fundraisers, and community service.

To the OP, I recommend doing a survey of ALL of the councils/conferences of Greeks on your campus to see what they prefer. It is often the case in mixed conference/council campus that the events are centered around NPC/NIC and the non-NPC/non-NIC organizations feel as though they had no input.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

This is all very helpful! Thank you guys so so much! I am talking about The National Panhellenic Council and the Council of Fraternity Presidents Members
Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudGreek View Post
This is all very helpful! Thank you guys so so much! I am talking about The National Panhellenic Council and the Council of Fraternity Presidents Members
To make sure I am understanding this, are you from one of those schools (UGA, for instance) that confuses some people and has a Panhellenic Council for the National Panhellenic Conference?

1. Are there only NPC and NIC sororities and fraternities on your campus?
2. If not, why does Greek Community only mean NPC and NIC?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
2. If not, why does Greek Community only mean NPC and NIC?
And if the "Greek Community" in this context only means NPC and IFC, then what message does it send to the other Greeks (and the campus at large) that they are excluded from activities designed to bring "the Greek Community" together?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I only saw one campus that used "Council Of Fraternity Presidents," and it had 3 NPHC organizations that were city-wide. That might be why she's only referring to the NPC/IFC groups.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I only saw one campus that used "Council Of Fraternity Presidents," and it had 3 NPHC organizations that were city-wide. That might be why she's only referring to the NPC/IFC groups.
Yes and I think that school has been discussed on GC before because a username was talking trash about the less visible NPHC on that campus.

If this is the same school that we're thinking of, the OP should specify "NPC and NIC Greek Community." On that school's website, the NPHC is listed as part of "the Community." If the OP is truly looking for the Greek Community, the OP may want to see whether the citywide NPHC chapters have active members on the campus.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Beware with scavenger hunts. Zeta actually considers them hazing now so check with each sororities nationals to make sure you are doing everything above board. Good luck!