GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 614
0 members and 614 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2001, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Question Greek Wedding Traditions/Ideas

Our sorority will be attending three sister weddings this summer alone - and we are wondering if any sorority/fraternity has any traditions, they would like to share, that they do when a brother/sister gets married? Actually, we would like to do something for the new grooms, to welcome them, as the sorority is a part of their wives lives and we would like to include them in it. Thanks!

------------------
Sarah Lyon
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
President, Iota Beta Chi Sorority
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
Old 03-13-2001, 12:33 AM

We have a sweetheart song - we circle the bride and groom and sing it.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

During I-week our new memebers make "wedding belts" They are made from ribbon (it is one of our colors)that is cut long enough to fit around your waist. We then use a smaller ribbon, in our other color, to make nine tiny knots that are tied to the ribbon. (the nine knots are for each of our founders).
We also "kidnap" the bride and take her out in the hall during the reception. We sing several of our songs with her.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

The ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha form a circle around the bride and sing our sorority hymn

sniff sniff it bring tears to my eyes

(at least 20 sorors were in the circle around me)

------------------
IVY in my HAND-- AKA in my HEART
Old 03-21-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MaryMayXO
When Chi Omegas from my chapter get married, they have their last candle past sometime on their wedding day. Usually, the sister getting married gets in a circle with all the Chi Omegas that are present at the wedding. Some girls do it before walking down the aisle, some do it at the reception. I have even heard of the bride wanting to do the candle pass right before she says "I do" during the actual ceremony. During the candle pass, all the sisters start singing "Shades" (a Chi O song)and the candle goes around the circle and on the 4th time, the bride blows it out. Usually the candle is from the sister closest to you and it is usually decorated in our colors: cardinal and straw.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryMayXO:
When Chi Omegas from my chapter get married, they have their last candle past sometime on their wedding day. Usually, the sister getting married gets in a circle with all the Chi Omegas that are present at the wedding. Some girls do it before walking down the aisle, some do it at the reception. I have even heard of the bride wanting to do the candle pass right before she says "I do" during the actual ceremony. During the candle pass, all the sisters start singing "Shades" (a Chi O song)and the candle goes around the circle and on the 4th time, the bride blows it out. Usually the candle is from the sister closest to you and it is usually decorated in our colors: cardinal and straw.

My chapter of XO really didn't have any particular traditions at the wedding. However, my brother's chapter of Pi Lambda Phi have a really cute tradition. While the pictures where being taken at the church, the brothers not in the wedding party would would oreo the happy couples car. Of course the fraternities letters were very large.

happyowl