GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,680
0 members and 1,680 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Is she signed up for the interviews for DPhiE?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iu mom View Post
Well said carnation our whole family is Greek and IU WAS the only university with the exact program my daughter wanted- a science (kinesiology) degree WITH dance- it's VERY VERY difficult to be admitted to this program with its audition admission process as well as having to get into IU at the same time- as an IU-of-stater we pay and it's fine because if what IU offers - that being said from a family if Greeks and many very active alum she WANTS to be greek AT IU and that won't be satisfied by a club membership - so we are still hoping for a COB
Ummm - just off the top of my head - Bowling Green State and Texas A&M both offer such a program - combined kinesiology and dance major
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Is she signed up for the interviews for DPhiE?
No. I know some will say that's her own fault then but the truth is having been exposed to greek life her whole life she wants the experience that includes living in a house. I was a founder of my chapter and graduated never living in a house and although I love my sisters it was NOT the same experience and my daughter knows that because I've talked about that forever. So as unpopular as that is to those either in an in-housed chapter it is based on experience that I speak. College is truly more than just what you learn in a classroom and I believe that living in a sorority house is a huge educational experience - that said my daughter maximized til the end had enough to choose from after 12 to pref 3 housed houses just didn't work out for her.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No. I know some will say that's her own fault then but the truth is having been exposed to greek life her whole life she wants the experience that includes living in a house. I was a founder of my chapter and graduated never living in a house and although I love my sisters it was NOT the same experience and my daughter knows that because I've talked about that forever. So as unpopular as that is to those either in an in-housed chapter it is based on experience that I speak. College is truly more than just what you learn in a classroom and I believe that living in a sorority house is a huge educational experience - that said my daughter maximized til the end had enough to choose from after 12 to pref 3 housed houses just didn't work out for her.
Part of a college experience is experiencing your own path and not your mother's. Just a thought. Your bias may cost your daughter a chance at a Greek experience. Period.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I'm not planning to read through 55 pages, but doesn't IU use RFM so that more girls would get cut early rather than after Pref?
RFM most likely was a complete cluster this year with a round of parties being eliminated. AND I STILL NEVER GOT AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was a member of a housed chapter at another Big Ten university, but never lived in. I commuted from home (about ten miles) because my parents were not willing to pay for housing although they paid for all of my education otherwise. I was chapter president twice (with a special dispensation to live out from our national executive board - not the norm), a Greek Week co-chair, university homecoming overall co-chair, and active in many other honor societies and groups on campus.

Your college experience is what you make of it. Living at home did not ruin my college experience. I was at the house more than some of the women who lived in. I ate there often. I slept over at times. I developed many wonderful friendships with the women in my chapter that continue to this day.

I know that IU is a different place, but to choose to not be Greek over being in an unhoused chapter is crazy IMHO. I will say this. It takes courage and a certain amount of self-confidence to buck the system and be willing to do something different than everyone else. Some women are able to do that and some aren't.

But I have no sympathy for anyone who laments not being Greek when they weren't willing to give every chapter a chance, especially if it is the unhoused chapters.

Maybe it will work out for your daughter eventually. Or maybe she needs to reevaluate her options and ask which is more important - being Greek or living in a sorority house. She may have to choose. If she waits and does formal recruitment again next year and doesn't get in, she'll have lost out on a full year of being Greek at that point and may not get another chance.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
RFM most likely was a complete cluster this year with a round of parties being eliminated. AND I STILL NEVER GOT AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.
I'm waiting to see the answer as well.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy88 View Post
I understand what you are saying, it is a common problem that women don't maximize their options. This is very easy for you to point out, because you have been around for a while and understand that you need to maximize your options to win at this game. However, these 18 year old women don't understand this. You are too hard on them. Please have some compassion. They don't know the game as well as you do.
I will respectfully disagree, that is why they have Rho Gams and I am quite sure this was explained to them repeatedly.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What was the question?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=suzy88;2257845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
So, first I agree with cinder and other posters that this was not an unfortunate situation. This young woman was sitting in a spot that another girl could have been in and she chose not to attend the parties. That sounds incredibly selfish. I feel no sympathy for her. Second, I want to point out your statement about being "18" and not knowing the game as you claim these women don't understand. You do realize you can join the military at 17 with a parent's signature--right? als463, how is that relevant? Well, if we have young men and women fighting for our country at an age we have all decided is adult enough to make decisions regarding life or death, I'm not going to sit here and boo-hoo because Suzy Snowflake decided not to maximize her options and now she has no sorority to call home. Maybe she should be a little less picky at a place where sorority recruitment sounds like a modern day Hunger Games.[/QUO

Don't really see any connection between military service and sororities.
My only point is 18 year olds make foolish decisions all the time. Not maximizing your options is as foolish as you can get in this recruitment, I agree. You can still have empathy for someone even though they chose badly. You can tell an 18 year over and over that she should go with any sorority that accepts her and she will find friends, but if she perceives that is not "cool" with her peers, she is not going to do it. I have empathy for them because they just don't have the life experience and maturity to make a good decision.

Let me be clear, I do empathize with them, really I do. I am pointing out this is not a heartbreaking situation, IMO. My own step daughter went through IU rush last year, went to three parties and suicided to one. She got a bid, very lucky for her. Believe me, I told her not to do it and I also told her that if that was her choice, she needs to be ok with the outcome if it didn't work out.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

As for the girl that had three pref parties and dropped? Honestly I would rather she dropped then than wait and drop on bid day or after. At least this way she didn't take a bid and drop-- because even if that spot was filled with a snap bid later, the snap bid didn't get to experience bid night and probably felt the sting of no bid after pref.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but then the girl and her mother have little room to complain about how unfair the IU system was to her.....
Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Okay, it's time to take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouths. It's reached the point that all empathy and patience has been consumed by the whining and rumor mongering. Dee said it, just above, and others have also said this nicely, multiple times, earlier in this Thread That Will Not Die. Here it is, no frills:

1) Membership selection is private. A chapter can issue a bid to whomever they want. Period. What happens after that is internal and is chapter business, including whether or not a new member has the required GPA. End of story.

2) IU chapters do not operate on a quota/total system. The individual chapters can take as many or as few members as they want. Got it? A chapter can choose, after formal recruitment, to bid whomever they want (including women who did not go through FR). Again, that is chapter business.

3) Stop making excuses for 18 year olds not understanding the meaning of "maximize options." There is a difference between dropping out of recruitment when you still have invitations, and going all the way through in good faith (including Preference), filling out the MRABA, and not receiving a bid. A HUGE difference. That is the crux of the issue; that is the sticking point of bed rush. That is what we NPC alumnae are saying. Bed rush: one campus in the entire NPC uses it. Animal Farm, anyone?

IBTL.

Big smile.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My daughter maximized til the bitter end, juggled rush with being in a show for the university, headed back to school with concerns about a sick relative at home, was a legacy and is registered for informal - she is devastated as all friends got bids and now she is watching girls get COB. She is the total package but can be shy sometimes when you first meet her- which having less parties was definitely a down fall for her had she had more rounds that would have 100% dissipated - she told me that she won't lose faith she wants to be greek. If not now next year even with the hurt. She is one if the most generous and dedicated people I know. She has turned down modeling jobs, professional dance options and other universities because IU offered her everything she wanted in a college experience .... On paper... But this bid less time for her has hurt so much but she prays daily she's offered a cob option. Things happen for a reason is my mantra but this is sad state events for her. She is maturely keeping her head up and hoping.
THIS is what I am talking about being a heartbreaking situation. Truly it is.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, adding another round of rush back in will only had in about 20-30 minutes more of actual conversation and that would be divided by 3 or 4 members. It's still not enough to warm up some girls. Really at IU they should add a full additional round to allow for a more civil level of cuts after each round. But it wouldn't solve the inevitable heartbreak and it would just drag out the torture. So really I don't see any win here without making wholesale changes that are simply not going to happen at this school (fall rush so it's happening before opinions are formed and more time allowed exclusively for the process and a traditional quota/total system are the 2 key ones IMO)

Also, at IU people should really stop saying it's a mutual selection process. At any school that's a stretch; at IU it verges on outright fabrication. You are visiting 21 sororities to see which one/s will allow you in. IF you can get over the idea that you have any say in which chapter/s will accept you and happily take any positive answer as success, then you dear IU rushee will probably be happier in the long run.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QfqxEmk...ture=c4-feed-u

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vxaZhQI0Rkc

Regardless of house or no house. Sisterhood is still a sisterhood. Here is adpi's and theta phi alpha recruitment video for this year. One housed vs one unhoused. Looks pretty much the same. All about friendship
Closed Thread