GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,471
0 members and 1,471 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2020, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Wearing Letters

I am curious as to whether women on your campus or sorority wear their letters or greek apparel. When I was at ULCA Many years ago it was not considered cool to wear shirts and sweatshirts with your letters. Instead for events we would wear shirts with our sorority spelled out. I noticed on Instagram a lot of the girls wear UCLA apparel instead of sorority apparel (unless it is Bid Day or an event). As a woman who didn’t rush until she was a senior (I was a transfer student), when I went through formal rush I was surprised at how many of my classmates were actually greek! I wanted to participate in informal recruitment prior to formal recruitment but I didn’t think I knew anyone in the greek system. Maybe things have changed but I felt like at UCLA there was greek life when you were on sorority or fraternity row and then there was your academic life on campus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

interesting. In many parts of the south, sorority members often wear sorority t-shirts (including party shirts), letters, hoodies, and jackets to class.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I still wear my letters discretely of course at my age! I am so proud to be a ZTA of Zeta chapter!!
Old 09-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I do too!
Old 09-05-2020, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdbruin View Post
I am curious as to whether women on your campus or sorority wear their letters or greek apparel. When I was at ULCA Many years ago it was not considered cool to wear shirts and sweatshirts with your letters. Instead for events we would wear shirts with our sorority spelled out.
It's interesting that you say this. Now I'm realizing that when seeing collegiate members recently - my chapter's social media, convention, etc. - there are rarely stitched letters being worn, and more often, our sorority name is spelled out.

Even looking at the shirts, sweatshirts, etc. on AST's online store, there are very few stitched-letter options. https://ast-emerald-boutique.myshopify.com

@~/~~~~
Old 09-05-2020, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

At the two campuses I went to you saw people wearing letters everywhere. We even had a day called "jersey thursday" At this specific university, all the sororities had hockey jerseys with letters on them in their specific colors and the fraternities had baseball jerseys. All the orgs would wear these around campus. If you were a new member and didn't have a jersey yet, you would just wear a pair of letters you had.

At least now that I graduated I wear my letters or various t shirts around the house, but I have a Tri Delta hat I wear everywhere.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-05-2020, 01:34 PM

It’s to get around the “no drinking in letters” bs. Not to mention some chapters say you can’t wear letters if you’re looking grubby. Women aren’t going to pay $60 for a sweatshirt they’re only “allowed” to wear at certain times.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You would think it would be encouraged to wear letters to class to market the sorority to pmns-especially a chapter who needs to COB. I never did buy a sweatshirt with the large stitched letters because it wasn’t a thing at UCLA. My husband went to a different college and was in a business frat and has his sweatshirt With the large stitched letters proudly hanging in our closet.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
People wear letters all the time at IU. I still wear mine on occasion.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Very prevalent in the south
Old 09-07-2020, 10:29 PM

Back in the day, we were asked to wear letters every Tuesday.

New members aren't allowed to wear the Greek letters, but they were asked to wear their bid day shirts, event shirts with the sorority name spelled out, or at least green and white - along with NM ribbons or pins.

Sisters could wear any of the above, or stitched letters, or we could dress to pin and wear our badge.

One semester, I had a class that had lectures only on Tuesdays. I think some of my classmates thought I only owned two sweatshirts
Old 09-09-2020, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the day, we couldn’t WAIT to get our letters! Every day was letter day for like two weeks after we finally got them. Part of the fun was getting to pick your fabrics and colors for your own sets.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

We wore our letters all over campus. My very first gift from my Big was an AOII jersey shirt with the fancy stitched letters. I still have it!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
New members aren't allowed to wear the Greek letters, but they were asked to wear their bid day shirts, event shirts with the sorority name spelled out, or at least green and white - along with new member ribbons and pins.

Sisters could wear any of the above, or stitched letters, or we could dress to pin and wear our badge.
Hadn't thought for a LONG time about how we wore NM ribbons to classes in Fall before we were initiated. Some days we pinned them to our Pledge Books, which we were required to carry at all times. Thanks for the nostalgia boost!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Back in the day, we were asked to wear letters every Tuesday.
*snip*
One semester, I had a class that had lectures only on Tuesdays. I think some of my classmates thought I only owned two sweatshirts
I literally LOL at this!