GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,935
0 members and 1,935 guests
No Members online

Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiBeteDean Send a message via Yahoo to PhiBeteDean
All Orgs That were founded before 1930/Why I pledged stories

Hello I am just curiuos to try and find out how many organization were founded before 1930? My org Phi Beta Psi Sorority inc. was founded February 15,1904 I am just curious to see how many orgs are just as old as my is .

Phi Beta Psi is a non-collegiate sorority founded February 15, 1904 in Columbus Ohio at Old North High School. A Hundred and two years later we are still here, it is amazing to see an organization last that many years.

Being an member of this greek chat, I have seen some many organizations that I have never heard before. And if any of you are like me you are infatuated with greek life.

Being a soror was my dream from very young,in fact since I was 12 years old. It was a dream I never let die no matter how hard the struggle how diffuicult the commitment, how long it took to find my greek family. I am 22 living out my dream as a member of Phi Beta Psi's Alpha Gamma Chapter in Manhattan,NY. I have great sisters that are genuine and are truly caring. The day I began pledging Phi Beta Psi and crossed was the happiest moments I can remember.

I want to here your story. So if you feel as passionate as me about you sorority no matter when your org was founded, tell me your story.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. was founded Jan. 5, 1911 on the campus of Indiana University by 10 African American college students.

During my freshman year in college I knew nothing about greeks. It didn't dawn on me until I saw guys walking around campus wearing the same letters that I grew up seeing in the family basement. I put 2 and 2 together. I said "Hey those are the symbols in the basement. I've seen dad wear the same symbols". Well, my fathers fraternity was the 1st fraternity I saw on campus (not a Kappa). His fraternity stuff is all over the basement, but I never knew what it was before I left for college my freshman year.

Well, I was really curious so I started asking upper classmen questions about the different greek orgs. Each of them had their own image and were all very different from one another. After asking questions and seeing a lot of them, none of them seemed to interest me, so I decided not to pledge at all. That all changed when I saw the Kappas (Nupes) for the 1st time on campus. They were standing in front of the student union building and some of their cars were parked in front, with Kappa stickers ect. on the windows, license plates ect. They drove the best cars on campus, wore the nicest clothes and all the best sororities wanted to throw parties with them. I thought this was so cool. They were the talk of the campus. I did more research and in the year book they had the highest GPAs out of all the other fraternities on campus. That was it! I knew then that this was what I was going to pledge. At the time, I was only 19 and when I saw how close they were and how popular they were, and how many members that are world icons, I really wanted to be a part of that.

A year later me and 5 other guys received our acceptance letters, pledged for 16 weeks and became members. 219 guys came to the fall interest meeting the year before and only 8 were accepted. Two dropped out and 6 made it. The day the 6 of us finally made it in was the happiest day of my life.
Romans 1:16

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 08-25-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sig

The Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity was founded on December 10th, 1899 at the City College of New York

When I came to college, I had absolutly no interest in joining a fraternity. Some of my friends pledged in the fall, and after seeing how much of their time it took up, all I could think was "why would anyone do that". However, the day after they got in they were so excited about it. In the following months I could see a difference in the way they acted. Their grades improved and everyone wanted to hang around them. I decided to pledge in the spring and it was probably the best decision of my life.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Alpha was founded March 1st, 1868 at University of Virginia.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Delta fraternity was founded on November 5, 1914 at Syracuse University. It was originally a fraternity of Italian-Americans at a time when very few Italian-Americans were enrolled in colleges. In 1965 the requirement that brothers have Italian heritage was eliminated.

Last edited by apd76; 04-14-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Kappa Sigma was founded at the University of Virgina December 10, 1869. Though we can trace our roots back to the 1400 Bologna, Italy.

Before attending college, I wasn't quite sure which fraternity I wanted to join, but my options were limited. My dad was a Phi Kappa Pi at the same university but it hasn't been on campus for a long time. So my three options were Kappa Sigma, Kappa Alpha, and Theta Chi. Before I started school I went to a Kappa Sig rush party and instantly knew thats where I belonged, so I guess you could say I was a suicide bid. But the struggle has been long, we only had 6 active members at the time, but our alumni chapter is the biggest in the world out of any fraternity, so with their help in one semseter we are now 35 strong and currently constructing a 12 bedroom half million dollar house. Which puts us by far in the best financial condition out of any fraternity/sorority on our campus since we have such a huge alumni backing they finance things such as rush and social events for us.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

1858 - Delta Tau Delta is founded at Bethany College in Bethany, Virginia (now West Virginia). Eight undergraduates, angered by a fixed vote for a prize in oratory to be given at the Neotrophian Literary Society – a forum for students to practice and demonstrate skills in poetry, public speaking and writing essays – respond by forming a secret society. The society is to see that the Neotrophian is returned to popular control.

I rushed Delta Tau Delta because of the brothers. I goto a school of 16 Fraternities, and it took me 3 semesters to find a fraternity I liked. After giong around and seeing many of the same stereo-typical Fraternities, it was good to find 60 guys who were extremely diverse. When people look at me, the last thing they think is I'm "one of those fratnerity guys" but I'm glad I found a group of guys who can get over a lot of the pety-ness brought on by fraternities.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated was founded on January 13, 1913 on the campus of Howard University by 22 courageous, determined and insightful women.

I came to college with a very limited knowledge of greek life. No one in my immediate family was greek (this has since changed but I digress). I went to school to study, graduate and kick it in the process. As I got involved in campus activities, I kept seeing the same few women. I decided to research and see what these women were about. Upon reading all that I could, I saw what these women were about and it was everything that I believed in and tried my best to do.

Finally, my chance came in 2001 to become what I had admired over these years. I love my D, my S and my T!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc., was founded November 27, 1919 on the campus of Oklahoma A&M College (now Oklahoma State University) in Stillwater, Oklahoma, by ten dedicated and inspired college bandsmen.

Kappa Kappa Psi is a fraternal organization that promotes the advancement of college and university bands through dedicated service and support to bands; comprehensive education; leadership opportunities; and recognition; for the benefit of its members and society.

When I started college, I had a limited knowledge of Greek life. I had a few relatives who were in D9 / NPHC orgs, but no one in my immediate family. I attended a HBCU so the majority of the active Greeks on campus were D9. I considered one of the D9 fraternities briefly but I didn't find one at that time that I throught I would be a good fit for (long, boring story).

A major part of my college life (apart from classes) revolved around band and band-related activities and that's when I heard about Kappa Kappa Psi. We didn't have a chapter on campus at the time, but I met some members of Psi on band trips and football games and was impressed at the brotherhood and camaraderie exhibited between them and their sister sorority (Tau Beta Sigma). So when the opportunity presented itself to take part in chartering a chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi on my campus and become a part of history, there was no question which way I was going to go. I have never looked back, and have never regretted that decision, and have been especially proud of seeing the bruhs/lines who have crossed through my chapter since that memorable day in 1988...
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922

Last edited by blkwebman1919; 01-10-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
Kappa Sigma was founded at the University of Virgina December 10, 1869. Though we can trace our roots back to the 1400 Bologna, Italy.
Same fraternity, pledged because I had friends and a couple of relatives who had pledged/joined different fraternities and sororities. I met the K-Sig guys, they seemed like a good group, so I pledged.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I joined my sorority because I wanted to make the University I attend seem smaller. Plus I wanted to live in the house, meet new people and friends. I also liked the idea of partying with fun girls, meeting cute frat boys and for the most part just keeping the family traditon going strong.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, INNNNNNNNNNCORPORATED(*pull back!!!*) was founded on JANUARY 9, 1914 on the campus of Howard University in Washington D.C, by the Most Honorable Founders A. Langston Taylor, Leonard F. Morse and Charles I. Brown. They wanted to create an organization that was inclusive rather than exclusive and apart of the community.

93 years later, OUR CAUSE SPEEDS ON!!!

Last edited by BlueNYC2; 02-06-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
Kappa Beta Gamma was founded in 1917 on the campus of Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. 95 years later I became a founding member of the Lambda Chapter at Northern Michigan University. I actually didn't even consider Greek Life until my *first* senior year because I had realized I had very few female friends anymore and was missing having feminine bonds. I recieved an e-mail that was sent campus wide looking for women interested in starting a new sorority on campus and decided to check it out, and immediately was hooked. Five years later I'm now serving on the KBG National board!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trueblueZTA
ZTA was founded October 15, 1898 at Longwood College. We are part of the "Farmville Four". Three other organizatiosn were born around the same time.
My mother was in a sorority when she was in college. So it's always been something that I knew I would do. I just thought I would pledge the same way she did. But the school I go to does not have her chapter. So I went to my school having my heart set on a particular chapter just because I knew someone already in it. I visited later and my mother made the comment that my grandmother was in a different chapter on campus and thats when my love for Zeta all started. I had been to the other two houses (we only have three chapters on campus!) and Zeta was my last party for the night. And as corny as it sounds when I walked through the door I knew I was home. I knew I wanted to spend the next four years with those girls. I was so lucky to receive a bid from them. And now I have another connection to my grandmother. My time in ZTA is almost up and I can not imagine what I am going to do without "my girls" once I have graduate....if you are thinking about rushing... GO FOR IT! It's the most amazing experience!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded on November 1, 1901 at Richmond College in Virginia.