GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,214
3 members and 1,211 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
Who are the usual suspects?
I'm thinking he's referring to SLB/SLG, ODP/KDX, etc

Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm thinking he's referring to SLB/SLG, ODP/KDX, etc
Only one (as you know) is NALFO. So I thought there were others he was talking about.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't know.

Quote:
btw, Chi Sigma Upsilon Sorority is and has long been defunct. I don't think they ever madeit out of the 90's.
Thanks. I didn't know. They have a website up, but I did not dig deep enough on it. Now that I went back, they had events till 2004. Sorry.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Only one (as you know) is NALFO. So I thought there were others he was talking about.
You are right Monarca, out of the ones mentioned by K_S, only KDX is still a NALFO member. I had heard that another usual suspect which is out of NALFO was NAK.

The reason of my asking is for real curiosity. Although Greek since 97, I am a 2001 alumnus, so I am crude on most NALFO orgs, since SLB joined much later and didn't get to meet any on campus (besides OeDPh, KDCh, LThPh and LThA). Now, visiting their webpages, this is what I have found out about NALFO orgs.

Sororities
-The webpage for KDCh uses both Latina based and Latina founded in the "About" section.
-The webpage for GAOe say they are "Latina-founded, multicultural organization"
-About OePhB, they say they are "Latina-oriented, not Latina-based," whatever that means.
-The rest are clearly LGLO's.

As for the fraternities,
-I've heard that some chapters of LSU also throw out the diverse card, although the website clearly indicates LGLO.

I was wonder about the orgs that LatinaAlumna had in mind when she open this thread.

Edited as adviced.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Last edited by Little Dragon; 05-02-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: LSU
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
You are right Monarca, out of the ones mentioned by K_S, only KDX is still a NALFO member. I had heard that another usual suspect which is out of NALFO was NAK.

The reason of my asking is for real curiosity. Although Greek since 97, I am a 2001 alumnus, so I am crude on most NALFO orgs, since SLB joined much later and didn't get to meet any on campus (besides OeDPh, KDCh, LThPh and LThA). Now, visiting their webpages, this is what I have found out about NALFO orgs.

Sororities
-The webpage for KDCh uses both Latina based and Latina founded in the "About" section.
-The webpage for GAOe say they are "Latina-founded, multicultural organization"
-About OePhB, they say they are "Latina-oriented, not Latina-based," whatever that means.

As for the fraternities,
-I've heard that some chapters of LSU also throw out the multi card, although the website clearly indicates LGLO.

I was wonder about the orgs that LatinaAlumna had in mind when she open this thread.
LSU will occasionally use the word diverse but rarely says multicultural (To be honest never ran acoss the use of "multicultural" myselfit but I could be wrong). Just a slight correction because there is a distinct difference betwen the two in my view.

Last edited by Monarca7; 05-03-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LSU will often use the word diverse but rarely says multicultural (To be honest never ran acoss the use of "multicultural" myselfit but I could be wrong). Just a slight correction because there is a distinct difference betwen the two in my view.
Correction noted. I think I have heard the same, but remembered Multicultural due to the MSU connection. Thanks.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Correction noted. I think I have heard the same, but remembered Multicultural due to the MSU connection. Thanks.
Cool, I figured. No harm no foul.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Out of NALFO, looking at the past as I understand it, Gamma Eta Sorority (member of NMGC), Chi Sigma Upsilon Sorority (Former member of NMGC), Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity (since recently member of NIC), and Delta Delta Coed Fraternity were Latino founded, but moved officially to multicultural, some not even mentioning the change in their own histories.
I think it's their prerogative to not mention it in their public histories if it's no longer who they are.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I was thinking about the orgs that are now using different terminology and/or that have members who are now calling their orgs "multicultural." Actually, the thread was prompted by a post I saw that day from someone in a current NALFO org who said referred to her org as "Latina founded but multicultural."
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I was thinking about the orgs that are now using different terminology and/or that have members who are now calling their orgs "multicultural." Actually, the thread was prompted by a post I saw that day from someone in a current NALFO org who said referred to her org as "Latina founded but multicultural."
Just a question -

Do you think that it would be more accurate now to use the term: "Historically Latino/a GLO".

That is what has happened to the NPHC and NIC/IFC/NPC. Clearly today none of these orgs consist on a single race / ethnicity of membership as they did at their founding and much of their early history.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Just a question -

Do you think that it would be more accurate now to use the term: "Historically Latino/a GLO".

That is what has happened to the NPHC and NIC/IFC/NPC. Clearly today none of these orgs consist on a single race / ethnicity of membership as they did at their founding and much of their early history.
I'm not sure which phrase would be more accurate, because I don't know what they mean to the different organizations at this point, and some of these groups have eliminated their use of "Latina/o" entirely.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not sure which phrase would be more accurate, because I don't know what they mean to the different organizations at this point, and some of these groups have eliminated their use of "Latina/o" entirely.
I always wondered how the alumni felt about changes like that.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know, right? I wonder what the founders think, too.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I'm reminded of this quote by audaz49:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audaz49 View Post
Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc. is a Latina sorority with multicultural membership...I can't say what will happen with the future standing of SLG as a Latina sorority, what I know is that currently we are just what I have said time and again, and I am proud to be a part of this sorority. The future of Sigma Lambda Gamma is in the hands of every woman who becomes a member, and I most definately cannot speak for all or even most of them. I can speak for me, and I can honestly say that whether SLG becomes Multicultural or stays Latina, I will always uphold the principles and motto of my beloved sisterhood.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.