GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,064
2 members and 1,062 guests
zavictoiajnr131
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

**Trying to stay away, but...***
The Iota Iota Chapter at MTSU closed in December and they were guaranteed a return. We still have to pay the rent on our chapter room during that time, but we have any time between 2007-2010 (2008 is probably the target) to reopen and our plans to build a house when the other sororities do are still in play. I think it just varies from school to school and who you are dealing with at the school.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHBrown View Post
**Trying to stay away, but...***
The Iota Iota Chapter at MTSU closed in December and they were guaranteed a return. We still have to pay the rent on our chapter room during that time, but we have any time between 2007-2010 (2008 is probably the target) to reopen and our plans to build a house when the other sororities do are still in play. I think it just varies from school to school and who you are dealing with at the school.
I believe that The University of Kentucky Collegiate Panhellenic Association has something similar in place. When an NPC chapter closes, they have the "right" (not sure if this is the proper term) to return within a certain number years. If they do not return within the allotted time, then they have to wait until the campus is open for expansion. It is my understanding that the NPC chapters that have previously colonized at UK are to be given priority in terms of presentation. However, that does not guarantee that any of them will be selected to present.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Edited to add: As other GCers have pointed out, most -- maybe all -- NPC sororities, in their efforts to revitalize chapters, may have taken steps somewhat similar to those being discussed in the DZ - DePauw situation. For instance:

The March 21, 2007 Bowling Green (Ohio) State U. paper has an article about the “reconstruction” of an NPC sorority chapter (NOT a Delta Zeta chapter) there a couple of years ago, reporting some similarities -- or the perception of similarities -- with the DePauw Delta Zeta situation:

http://media.www.bgnews.com/media/st...-2783729.shtml

Excerpts from longer article:

Two years ago BGSU's [_____name omitted for this excerpt] sorority went through reconstruction because of recruitment problems according to Holly Houtz, senior and [________] vice president of recruitment at the time.

Houtz said only five of about 30 girls were asked to come back and rebuild the chapter and they all fit a criteria similar to the Delta Zeta's at DePauw. . . .

. . . Houtz said pretty girls may sometimes be used as a recruitment strategy.

"Looks had a little to do with it. Two years ago when our sorority was bigger, it was known as an uglier sorority, and they did get rid of lots of the uglier girls," Houtz said. "But some of those girls didn't have the GPA's or the time to commit as an active member of the sorority. The girls that were asked to come back were very cute, typical sorority girls, petite and cute. They didn't ask back any of the overweight girls, there was a definite trend."

Houtz said she was asked to come back but declined because she would be too busy to commit during her senior year. . . .

Houtz, along with the [_________] sisters who where not asked to return, were granted alumni status, just like the Delta Zeta sisters at DePauw.

Houtz said she is not angry with national's reorganization process . . . .

Last edited by exlurker; 03-21-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
The March 21, 2007 Bowling Green (Ohio) State U. paper has an article about the “reconstruction” of an NPC sorority chapter (NOT a Delta Zeta chapter) there a couple of years ago, reporting some similarities -- or the perception of similarities -- with the DePauw Delta Zeta situation:

Two years ago BGSU's [_____name omitted for this excerpt] sorority went through reconstruction because of recruitment problems according to Holly Houtz, senior and [________] vice president of recruitment at the time.

Houtz said only five of about 30 girls were asked to come back and rebuild the chapter and they all fit a criteria similar to the Delta Zeta's at DePauw. . . .

"Looks had a little to do with it. Two years ago when our sorority was bigger, it was known as an uglier sorority, and they did get rid of lots of the uglier girls," Houtz said. "But some of those girls didn't have the GPA's or the time to commit as an active member of the sorority. The girls that were asked to come back were very cute, typical sorority girls, petite and cute. They didn't ask back any of the overweight girls, there was a definite trend."

Houtz said she was asked to come back but declined because she would be too busy to commit during her senior year. . . .

Houtz, along with the [_________] sisters who where not asked to return, were granted alumni status, just like the Delta Zeta sisters at DePauw.

A few questions about the article:

Quote:
Tammy Sudhoff, Delta Zeta president of the BGSU chapter, said the process was sincere and by the book, and the media is to blame for reinforcing the negative stereotypes of Greek life.
How in the heck does this DZ president know how things were done at the DePauw chapter if she does not go there? Based on a lot of DZs here, a lot of alumnae leaders don't even know what happened at DePauw. And if she'd not referring to the DePauw incident and the other incident instead, she's not even a member of that sorority, so how would she know??

Maybe those girls weren't "committed to recruitment"
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

not University of Depauw or Delta Gamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
A few questions about the article:

How in the heck does this DZ president know how things were done at the DePauw chapter if she does not go there? Based on a lot of DZs here, a lot of alumnae leaders don't even know what happened at DePauw. And if she'd not referring to the DePauw incident and the other incident instead, she's not even a member of that sorority, so how would she know??

Maybe those girls weren't "committed to recruitment"

that artical was so full of errors, i know an email was sent to the editor-in-chief and the reporter to clarify some points. Things have to be in Context since it's about Depauw and not some other unnamed University with 40,000 students. Hopefully they do... I love how DG was mentioned when Zeta is definatley different than Gamma. Also, good point, Nationals isn't telling the alumnae leaders everything, so why would they tell a collegeiate president everything?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Edited to add: As other GCers have pointed out, most -- maybe all -- NPC sororities, in their efforts to revitalize chapters, may have taken steps somewhat similar to those being discussed in the DZ - DePauw situation. For instance:

What's wrong with saying this is a chapter (Beta Mu) of Kappa Delta?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
What's wrong with saying this is a chapter (Beta Mu) of Kappa Delta?
I think the point is more that EVERY sorority has done it.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think the point is more that EVERY sorority has done it.
Yes, that was the intent. I thought if people wanted to see exactly which sorority was mentioned, they could use the link.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post

How in the heck does this DZ president know how things were done at the DePauw chapter if she does not go there?

She read the press kit.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzdelta2007 View Post
that artical was so full of errors, i know an email was sent to the editor-in-chief and the reporter to clarify some points. Things have to be in Context since it's about Depauw and not some other unnamed University with 40,000 students. Hopefully they do... I love how DG was mentioned when Zeta is definatley different than Gamma. Also, good point, Nationals isn't telling the alumnae leaders everything, so why would they tell a collegeiate president everything?
I'm actually an advisor at Bowling Green State University. (Though I hadn't seen this article yet - thanks to GC for bringing it to my attention. )

My guess is that the "Gamma" was a typo on the author's part - Dr. Binder (Director of Greek Affairs) is a wonderful, very knowledgable individual, and I'm sure he wouldn't have made that mistake in the article.

As far as the size of BGSU, it definitely has nowhere near 40K students. An e-mail came out on the all advisor listserv regarding recruitment, which stated that there are approximately 7,300 undergraduate men at BGSU and about 650 of them belong to an IFC group. (Unfortunately there weren't numbers for sororities in that particular e-mail, but I would anticipate the female numbers being very similar to the male numbers.) In that regard though, it is very different from DePauw, which had a huge percentage of Greeks. BGSU might have more students overall, but only about 10-11% are Greek.

I will agree with one thing in the article though - Kappa Delta has been very successful in their reorganization. There are some unique aspects to BGSU's Greek situation though. (Well, unique to me, coming from a campus where chapters owned their own off campus housing.) At BGSU, the Greek housing is owned by the University. Some sororities reside in cottage style housing that has a total capacity of 15-20ish members. Other sororities live in larger housing that has a total capacity in the 30ish + member range. There's recently been a trend that the sororities with the smaller houses have been faring better in recruitment - the theory being that PNMs know that they will be less likely to be obligated to live in for an extended period of time and/or "forced" to live in as upperclassmen. (This is a trend that has played out over the course of a few years - I was a little skeptical at first when undergraduate students explained that to me, but even the Panhellenic Advisor confirmed that it seems to be the case.)

I've been told that a fraternity (Pi Kappa Alpha, I believe) left campus housing, and has doubled in size since losing a chapter house residence. It seems strange to me, because the intuitive thing would seem that a chapter without a facility would struggle more, but that appears to be the way it plays out on campus. (I'm hoping that this will work in favor for our chapter, which will not be having on campus housing next year.)
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Some Mods seem to do that lately don't they?

The important thing is the situation at hand and I hope it does not hurt the National Sorority over all.

I beleive it was also stated that DZ will never be allowed on the Campus again.

I beleive the school trumps the Organization.

The Sorority loses at this campus only and does have a chance at other schools except for teh net working among schools. Lets hope this turns out for the best dor DZ..

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
I believe it was also stated that DZ will never be allowed on the campus again.

I believe the school trumps the organization.

The sorority loses at this campus only and does have a chance at other schools except for the networking among schools. Let's hope this turns out for the best for DZ.
Maybe President Bottoms said they won't be allowed back if he's still there, but I believe this is a case of "never say never."

What would have made more sense would be for him to say that as long as the same women are in charge they wouldn't be allowed back under his watch. Things can change dramatically from administration to administration as far as the direction they want the sorority to go.

And as I stated before - if he thinks DZ is the only sorority that's ever done anything like this, he is living in a happy fairy land.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
I beleive it was also stated that DZ will never be allowed on the Campus again.

Not sure where you read that, but i asked administration. They are off indefinatley. they probably wont be on campus in the next 5 years, definatly not by 2009, i am almost certain. If they apply to come back on campus and they can show that they deserve to be on our campus again, I am sure they will back, but Nationals is going to have to have to truly work with the School and willing to compromise in order to come back.

To susan314, I was exaggerating numbers meaning we dont have plethora of extra independents that are the 'ideal' (whatever that means to you) sorority girl and i don't think that Nationals understood this.

Last edited by dzdelta2007; 03-22-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzdelta2007 View Post
To susan314, I was exaggerating numbers meaning we dont have plethora of extra independents that are the 'ideal' (whatever that means to you) sorority girl and i don't think that Nationals understood this.
Yes, I understood that from your original post. I should have been more clear in my response - I was trying to give a general idea of what the campus was like at BGSU, since there was an article demonstrating the recent successful reorg of the KD chapter there. (If people were trying to see, in general, whether a similar reorg could be successful on other campuses, I thought it would be helpful to understand what BG's campus is like.)

Additionally, I should have mentioned the strength of the Greek Affairs office at the university. (I alluded to it in my comment about Dr. Binder, but didn't elaborate on their graduate assistants and programs offered by the office.) I strongly suspect that part of the reason that the recent sorority reorg was successful is due to how supportive the Greek Affairs office is on campus. They do a wonderful job of providing resources and programming for chapters who might be having troubles (whether it be with recruitment, scholarship, or any other aspect of Greek life). In the short time that I have been involved with Greek life on BGSU's campus, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Greek Affairs office. Compared to what I've been a part of and/or heard about some other campuses, I have never witnessed a University office being so supportive of Greek life. (I'm sure that there are other universities like that out there, I just haven't seen them in action for myself.)
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what I just thought of? I don't know why I didn't think of it before....

It's never a good idea to start a war with the media.
Closed Thread