GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,648
2 members and 1,646 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 01-07-2019, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Question about legality of re-rushing

Hi! I have posted on this site before and have one last burning/concerning question. I have seen many posts about this before but want to know the specifics. One of my past sisters dropped/resigned from our sorority in her third year to sign up for formal recruitment the following semester. She was able to contact other orgs on our campus for COB/informal but decided the one that she wanted was not open for COB. So she signed up for recruitment and had no problems signing up and has not been caught thus far. To my understanding, I know that this is "illegal" or not recommended. But at my university, they seem to be slack on checking names in the system because many other girls have done this when a chapter closed at my school. I am concerned for this sister and want to see what would happen/logistics to this plan of re-rushing. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's. Not. Allowed. End of story. If a woman is initiated into an NPC sorority, she may never join another. There are no exceptions. Your campus may be "slack" but the national organizations would almost certainly terminate the membership(s) of any woman who was caught doing this. And all it would take would be one person calling the national organizations to report this.

And, considering that you recently started a thread with the name of your organization and university, the cat may already be out of the bag. I would delete your post...or maybe FSUZeta will delete it out of courtesy.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 01-07-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your kind words. I do appreciate them. I will wait until the account you mentioned will delete this thread/post because frankly I do not know how to delete posts on this chat. Again, thank you.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswizzle View Post
Hi! I have posted on this site before and have one last burning/concerning question. I have seen many posts about this before but want to know the specifics. One of my past sisters dropped/resigned from our sorority in her third year to sign up for formal recruitment the following semester. She was able to contact other orgs on our campus for COB/informal but decided the one that she wanted was not open for COB. So she signed up for recruitment and had no problems signing up and has not been caught thus far. To my understanding, I know that this is "illegal" or not recommended. But at my university, they seem to be slack on checking names in the system because many other girls have done this when a chapter closed at my school. I am concerned for this sister and want to see what would happen/logistics to this plan of re-rushing. Thank you!

Is your sorority a member of NPC? Is the second sorority your friend tried to join also an NPC sorority? If so, this story does not sound plausible. If your friend did that, then it would be an extremely tasteless and inappropriate thing to do. The other sororities on campus surely know that she is already a member, right?

Make no mistake - as my sister Sciencewoman said, a woman initiated into an NPC organization may NEVER initiate into another one. This includes re-rushing at her current campus or trying to re-rush at a different university. If a woman is caught doing this, and she likely will, she will lose her membership in the second ("new") sorority and probably her first sorority as well. This is not an urban legend or a scare tactic. I know first-hand of a situation exactly like that just this year - a young woman re-rushed at another campus and joined a different sorority. The second sorority was displeased to learn the woman they initiated was already an initiated member of another NPC sorority at a different campus. The woman's membership was promptly revoked. It was a very sad situation.

I am very sorry that you are experiencing struggles with your current chapter. It would be in your best interest to try and make the best of your current situation.

Wishing you the best.

True and Constant
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

She's an ADPi at the University of San Diego. However, there is no way that a girl would get initiated, be a member for years, drop, and re-rush at the same school without getting caught.

Last edited by carnation; 01-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

I changed her sorority name to everyone's favorite : ABC.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

carnation, good to know. Interestingly enough, I am an alumna member of the Gamma Phi Beta chapter at her university.

What's sad is that she attends a beautiful campus at a well-regarded university. Her chapter is a good size, comparable to the others, and super cute.

True and Constant
Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswizzle View Post
She's not allowed to do that. The only way she would ever be allowed to join more than one (NPC, I'm assuming) sorority is if she joins one, drops before initiation, and re-rushes one calendar year later. And as far as the school slacking off, well...let's just say social media has a tendency to expose people at some point or another
Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

The university may well be happy to take her money and let her sign up for rush. That means little. She will not receive a single invitation to any party from an NPC organization. Won't happen.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
She's an ADPi at the University of San Diego. However, there is no way that a girl would get initiated, be a member for years, drop, and re-rush at the same school without getting caught.
Hmmm..... Perhaps it is time to call troll on this poster?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

1) OP said this woman dropped/resigned her membership in Sorority #1. She is no longer a sister! She does not have the rights and privileges to be called a sister!

2) Sisters protect each other. The woman is NOT a sister, why is OP protecting this woman when she knows that the woman is illegally planning to go through recruitment?

3) OP said that this woman dropped out after 3 years. a) that means woman is a junior. She already will stick out like a sore thumb. b) Greek systems, even large ones, have someone who knows someone from each chapter. Unless this woman did not participate in ANY activities within the Greek system, there is no way no one would know she had/does belong to another chapter on campus. c) as far as I know (and I could be very wrong), Greek life receives a roster of all members. There is no way this woman could go through recruitment on the same campus without numerous red flags popping up.

4) The story sounds and smells very fishy to me.

DaffyKD

Last edited by DaffyKD; 01-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 AM

At any rate....this isn’t the university’s job to check names in “the system.” The university could care less if someone joined a different NPC every year.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
At any rate....this isn’t the university’s job to check names in “the system.” The university could care less if someone joined a different NPC every year.
EXACTLY!!!! The university is not there to enforce NPC rules.