GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,438
1 members and 2,437 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-1999, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Fundraising Idea

CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG!!!!

This is the only way to rasie money!! Pop open a few cold ones and pour them back. Just think of all the money you can raise by taking all of the cans from your frat house and stealing all of the ones off the lawn of your rival frat house and returning them to the redeption center. For those of you in Michigan you get an extra bonus!!! Lucky bastards!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-1999, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Umm, excuse me jason, but if you are already in michigan, you have to PAY the ten cent deposit WHEN you buy the beer, just like you do when you pay the FIVE cent deposit in surrounding states, like NY. THe real trick is to live in a state bordering Michigan and bring a whole stockload of bottles there. And if the bottles are stolen you get 200% profit. Think of all the community service you just did!

-- on a related topic, i need another rund raising idea for my less emotionally and physically motivated brothers. WE've tried can food drives, but that invovles moving, got any better ideas folks? something where we dont do anywork would be great.

thanks guys!
Old 09-28-1999, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to LanderAEPi
Lightbulb

I have two ideas. Currently, my chapter (Sigma of AEPi at Washington University) does a huge philanthropy in the Spring called "Rock-N-Care". Basically, brothers sign up for 24-hour time slots, and we allow one member of each class to participate (one pledge, one sophomore, one junior, one senior). Each of those guys sits in the chair and rocks continuously for 24 hours (no, there is no sleeping involved). The event is held in a MAJOR high traffic area on campus, and we have bands playing, footballs/frisbees being tossed around, and food being grilled -- around the clock. Now, another event that my chapter USED to do before "Rock-N-Care" was called "Couch-Potato-a-Thon". Basically, the house brought a couch, a TV, and a VCR to the Quad. The TV was plugged in, and brothers did the same thing as "Rock-N-Care", except while watching TV on a couch. It was three brothers at a time, and they couldn't leave the couch for ANY reason for 24 hours. Hope that helps.

------------------
Joshua
http://artsci.wustl.edu/~jlgoldwa

--
"Round here we talk just like lions
but we sacrifice like lambs" -AD
Old 11-05-1999, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

though i'm from a sorority, we all need cash none the less. If house parties and socials at bars don't work(which is what we always do), try selling goldfish, candy bars and flowers. we sold them in the student union-where all the greeks have tables-and made cash. it's a slow flow, but it works. all you have to do is sit there. charge an extra few cents for delivery. drinking is the way to get cash,though. find a sorority and do it together so more people come.
we also put a soda machine in the house. you'll be amazed how much money you'll get from your own brothers(put some beer in there too). You can rent the machine. you know, if you steal some empty kegs you get a nice deposit!!: )If you're desperate, raise brothers' dues and rent(if you have a house)
some fraternity raised money by getting sororities to give one picture of a girl for a beauty contest. anyone could cast their vote for the best at a dollar each. Some of the pics get crazy in order to make it fun.
One of my sisters came in second and it was a joke picture!! you could also put a lot of something in a jar and people could pay to guess how much is in there and then win it. these little things add up to cash. good luck
Old 11-28-1999, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Krunchy,
Are you serious?? You're promoting drinking on a BBS as a fund raiser? Think about the image you just put out there of Greeks. Grow up please!!
Old 12-03-1999, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you know that most Wal-Marts will double your profit. Our sorority does car washes at Wal-MArt. In just a few hours you can make over $600.00. We did it and we were only out there 2-3 hours. (We made 300.00 walmart added the rest). I think this is a quick and easy way to earn money.
Old 01-15-2000, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

we save our yogurt lids-and Yoplait donates 5 cents a lid to breast cancer. we have been saving for a while--and you'd be suprised how fast it adds up!
Old 01-23-2000, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

For anyone who likes to dance I have an intereesting fundraiser. We had a local store owner donate 5 different sized trophies. Then we allowed anyone who was interested to join a dance contest for $5 each. We held the contest at Traders Village, which is a local, large market. At the end of the contest, the audience voted for the winner. We didn't make a lot of money on the contesants, but during the contest we walked around the audience with buckets. We made most of our money on the donations from the audience.
Old 03-15-2000, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to lizzie3d
A couple Greek orgs on my campus do a similar event to the events discussed earlier, which they called a Rock-A-Thon. Another Greek org did a 48 hour Teeter Totter-A-Thon, which was fun, especially when paired up with another Greek org.
Liz
Delta Delta Delta
Theta Sigma

[This message has been edited by lizzie3d (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old 03-31-2000, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Our Secretary just contacted Wal-Mart and the guy told us that they would match the funds we raised, but all the proceeds had to go to a charity. The money couldn't be retained by us. Does anyone have any information on this?

James

Quote:
Originally posted by jenn:
Did you know that most Wal-Marts will double your profit. Our sorority does car washes at Wal-MArt. In just a few hours you can make over $600.00. We did it and we were only out there 2-3 hours. (We made 300.00 walmart added the rest). I think this is a quick and easy way to earn money.
Old 07-11-2000, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

the theta chi chapter at my university does a "homeless weekend" every year. they set up thier sofas, blankets and whatever else and are "homeless" for a weekend. they rely on the rest of the campus to bring them food and they're not ALLOWED to move (except to go to the bathroom.) what better way to get your bros to do nothing for a good cause?

etienne
sigma alpha iota
hartt school of music-univ. of hartford.
Old 07-17-2000, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My sisters and I had a great fundraising experience last fall semester. We had a Crab Raffle--with the purchase of a two dollar ticket, one could win a bushel of crabs, a dozen ears of corn, and a case of soda. (We are a non-alcoholic sorority, therefore, we couldn't raffle a case of beer-but we tried). Anyway, we let the raffle last from the beginning of the semester until the beginning of October. In the end, we made about $2,000! And to make things even better, companies donated the prizes to us!!! This is such a great way to make cash--we are doing it again this fall!! Good luck to all.

Jadey
Zeta Chi Chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma

[This message has been edited by Jadey28 (edited July 17, 2000).]
Old 08-01-2000, 09:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Thumbs up

Here are a few things that have worked well for my chapter:

Bakesales
Garagesales
Bottle Drives
Selling Cookie Dough
Selling Chocolate Bars
Selling Candy Grams

We have also put together a Fashion Show for Cystic Fibrosis and this year we will be doing either a hockey or softball tourney to raise money for ANAD (Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders).
Old 08-29-2000, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Here's one.....

It's called a "Tuck In."

Good for both sororities and fraternities...

Okay. All you have to do is get a list of your brothers (or sisters) with the times they're available in the evening and take it around to the other greek organizations (of the opposite sex - so if you're a sorority, you would go only to the fraternities).

Now, you tell them that for $5.00, the girls (or guys) can sign up to have a particular member of your organization come to their house and read them a bedtime story.

* * If a sorority is doing the reading of the bedtime story, our org. went in pairs, for safety reasons.

* * You may also have to read the stories on chairs or the floor of your parlor given that most members of the male orgin aren't allowed in the upstairs of a sorority house.

This fundraiser is fun for everyone, and you're going to make plenty of money doing it. All you need are children's books (I recommend that you bring several so the person you're reading to can choose).

It's a great bonding thing too, for those orgs that don't generally mix. Real fun.

------------------
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Eta - formally
Beta Kappa - presently
Old 10-02-2000, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school we would pass out programs and do clean up at the Patriot Center. Thats where we had our Basketball games, Rock Concerts, and events. Another idea might be to do a golf fundraiser and do it with a sorority. We did one once with a credit card company. Our biggest event was helping the American Cancer Society every year raise money. We would do it at the local Marriott where they had a fashion show. Dressed in our kelly green jackets. We'd sell azaelas and help give out gifts to guests/participants that came to the show that donated or bought for the cause. A very good time I must say. Doing theme nights at bars or clubs with a sorority is a good one too. If all else fails I guess you could start charging at your parties. Think PCU.(movie)

FYI: Sam Walton, Founder of Walmart, is a Beta Theta Pi.

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited October 02, 2000).]