GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,222
1 members and 1,221 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pt2005
To my Delta sister greek, this is such a nice thread that u have started and although i myself dont post as much as i would like to, i had to post to this.

I am a neo(SPR 05) and i recently became a member of Sigma Gamma Rho and my chapter is the first and only NPHC on the yard. In my family there is no greeks and no one knows anything about greeks but the sterotypes. At my school there was no NPHC only the NPC organizations. As students and women of color we felt as though we needed an organization that would exemplify our roots and cultrue. Therefore, for the past three years there was numerous interest sessions amongst ourselves and research because we def. wanted an NPHC organization but we wanted one for the right reasons. And i will say that the first Sigma woman that i met was Northeast Regional Syntaktes Felicia Blakeney and this woman was WONDERFUL! She showed Sigma in such a classy, dignified way that i was so intrigued. After almost a year after an interest meeting she had at our school she still kept in touch with us and stayed with us till the very last decison was made. And i would like to say that thank you yo my SoRHOr Madame Syntaktes Blakeney for showing us the RHOyal Blue and Gold light. Since then, I have been nothing but proud to say that i am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority!

Being a member of an NPHC has not only allowed me to meet some great Sigma women, it has allowed me to meet wonderful people in general.
Thanks for sharing this Sorhor. Sorhor Blakeney is very thorough and extremely helpful. Maybe I can get her to tell her story on GC.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Did any of you know which BGLO you wanted to join before you knew what college you were even going to?

If so how much did the national stereotypes or outside pressure play up to the reasons why you joined that fraternity or sorority?

Of course that's probably a question a lot of people might not feel comfortable answering, but I look forward to hearing from those that do want to share.

-Rudey
Yes, I knew that I was going to be a Delta since I was a small child. My mother is a Delta and actually was a chartering member of an Alumnae chapter in Atlanta which she and some other sorors chartered following their undergraduate studies when they pledged in the 70's. Growing up I learned so much about what it really meant to be a Delta woman as I saw my mother carrying out business in the Sorority as well as being such a good mother and taking care of our family. She is the best example I have ever had of a strong Delta woman. Because I had such first hand knowledge of what it took and meant to be a Delta, as I got older, the stereotypes didn't bother me. I was fortunate to know that they were based on marginal situations and not the true essence of the purpose and existence of Delta Sigma Theta.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
Yes, I knew that I was going to be a Delta since I was a small child.
You mean, you knew you wanted to be a Delta and hypothetically would not stop until you became one.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, since I am one now, I think it is safe to say that I ALWAYS KNEW I would be a Delta.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
Yes, I knew that I was going to be a Delta since I was a small child. My mother is a Delta and actually was a chartering member of an Alumnae chapter in Atlanta which she and some other sorors chartered following their undergraduate studies when they pledged in the 70's. Growing up I learned so much about what it really meant to be a Delta woman as I saw my mother carrying out business in the Sorority as well as being such a good mother and taking care of our family. She is the best example I have ever had of a strong Delta woman. Because I had such first hand knowledge of what it took and meant to be a Delta, as I got older, the stereotypes didn't bother me. I was fortunate to know that they were based on marginal situations and not the true essence of the purpose and existence of Delta Sigma Theta.
I hope one day that I have a daughter and share a similiar story as yours!

Hearing all these stories kinda makes me wish our recruitment was similar. Instead we get COB or COR and it's kind of like a scramble to get girls. Thank you for your stories!

KLTC
Old 04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to elldawg
I saw the light!

After transfering from one PWI to another after 3 years of college, I found myself to be a bit of an outsider. I was never into parties, and I didn't have any friends in the area. I decided to become a member of Black United Students (BUS). As I worked with BUS I discovered that very little happened in terms of black-sponsored events without the participation of the NPHC greeks. Unfortunately, none of the CHAPTERS were doing much.

I got a little frustrated, so I submitted an editorial to the campus newspaper addressed to the NPHC greeks. I wanted them to understand the power they had on campus, and I couldn't understand why they weren't doing more with it. Nothing really happened afterward. Still frustrated, I decided I had to see why these greeks had so much clout. I went to the Greek Forum, an event where all of the NPHC orgs presented themselves and their respective orgs. Then each group gets a break-out room and all of the orgs get to speak to the interests in private. Of course their were introductions in each room, and in each room, they recognized my name from the editorial. Apparently most of them were pissed and had discussed it at length, including the Sigmas. I remember walking into the Sigmas room and this 300+ lb. brother was looking at me kinda crazy and he said, "I'm surprised you would even show up here."

I was leaving the event pretty much thinking that I had wasted my time. As I was leaving, this brother came up to me and started talking to me about my article. Our converstion led to us discussing all kinds of things, including his frustrations with greek life, and campus life in general. He talked about his experiences and accomplishments on campus, including being Homecoming King. I thought it was pretty impressive for a brother to be elected homecoming king at this PWI and still be the kind of brother that is well connected to the black folks on campus. Needless to say that Tierney Bates was then, and is now a mentor for me. He introduced me to Sigma and the men of Iota Beta chapter. I was subsequesntly initiated into Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and have not looked back since. (Except to shine the light on brothers coming behind me!)
Old 04-11-2005, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
I think my story may sound the same as the other ones, but it's my story, so I guess it's unique to me

I knew I wanted to be a Delta before I knew what college I wanted to attend. I went to Berkeley High and Cal Berkeley was a stones throw away, so various NPHC members would come to perform community service, i.e., tutoring, mentoring and so on. I really didn't have a full understanding of what a member of a greek org. was, but it looked fun. I would attend various social events and step shows and the ladies in red always won and they always looked like they were having fun. Even if they didn't know each other, they never let that on. Mind you, I didn't know Sigma Theta..all I knew was Delta and that they wore red.

It wasn't till my senior year that I learned more about the Fab Four and more about Delta Sigma Theta. When I got to college, I was paired up with a young lady who looked out for me, letting me know what teachers to take and avoid. When I would see her on campus, she always made a point to speak and include me in things. She became a member that same year and my big sister a year later!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by babe'sbabe
Just to add to where I left off in the previous post.
I attended a predominatly white university and the HBGLOs did not do annual intake. The AKA chapter had a line the second semester of my freshman year. The good thing about this was that my current roomate was now a member, the bad thing was that I was now unsure if another intake would occur before I graduated.

During the next few semesters I was at 110% trying to get ready for the next rush. I even formally expressed interest to members of the chapter. I was ready! The fall of my junior year I believed that they would hold a rush. However, they did not. Around the same time I interviewed and was accepted for a internship that would require me to transfer to another university for the spring semester. I sat on the fence a long time concerning what I was going to do. I knew that if I was away, I could not participate if rush was held. I spoke to several older members and was told "academics first". I pondered a bit more and with a heavy heart I withdrew from the University and headed home for break.

During the spring semester I attended the new university but still kept in touch with my friends at my home university. I remember when I found out that rush was held. I ws devistated. I knew then that my dreams of undergradate membership were over.

Coming back to campus the following fall (my senior year) was difficult. All my friends were members and I was still the aspirant. In addition, I was a senior and knew there would not be another line.

Graduation came and went. Law school came and went. The state bar came and went. My desire to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority did not. After moving to a new city and starting my new job, I went about the business of putting my face and name out in the community. I met the "right" people and went to the "right" events.

After no less than 10 years of admiring and desiring, I was initiated into a graduate chapter (One month ago today). And I must admit, it feels good to be one the other side.

I appreciate you sharing your story. It was indeed beautiful and I know it will serve as motivation for someone. Many times individuals let the hype of becoming initiated during their undergraduate career take precedence over more pressing issues. It seems that the lifetime commitment is somehow forgotten and only the thoughts of "wearing letters" on campus envisioned. Congratulations on achieving your goal and your diligence gains my utmost respect.

Last edited by The Truth; 04-11-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Another story

Bringing this back to the top because I like to educate... it's the teacher in me.

I attended a coming out show last week of my newest Sorors at Howard U. I always bring my daughter and this time I made my sons tag along. All of the D9 fraternities were there of course but one made a lasting impression on my oldest son. I don't know if it was their call, colors or what. I believe it was their overall representation. I won't say which one. :wink: (discretion) He has made up his mind that this is what he wants to be BEFORE college.

Whatever they did last week caught his interest and I began to tell him that some of his teachers, a former principal, and other men in his life who have made an impression on him are members of this fraternity. He was even more intrigued. He has already started reading and finding out more about this great organization. I was very surprised at him and his interest. He is also reading my Divine 9 book

I posted this because this is another example of how SOME of us are able to make this decision so early and how unique that is to the NPHC and the history of our organizations in the black community.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Re: Another story

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
Bringing this back to the top because I like to educate... it's the teacher in me.

I attended a coming out show last week of my newest Sorors at Howard U. I always bring my daughter and this time I made my sons tag along. All of the D9 fraternities were there of course but one made a lasting impression on my oldest son. I don't know if it was their call, colors or what. I believe it was their overall representation. I won't say which one. :wink: (discretion) He has made up his mind that this is what he wants to be BEFORE college.

Whatever they did last week caught his interest and I began to tell him that some of his teachers, a former principal, and other men in his life who have made an impression on him are members of this fraternity. He was even more intrigued. He has already started reading and finding out more about this great organization. I was very surprised at him and his interest. He is also reading my Divine 9 book

I posted this because this is another example of how SOME of us are able to make this decision so early and how unique that is to the NPHC and the history of our organizations in the black community.
I absolutely *heart* this story. Good to know that there are so many men in your son's life that he can look up to.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Re: Another story

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
Good for you for taking him! May he work hard and have the opportunity to join the org of his choice.

I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to iotamason Send a message via MSN to iotamason Send a message via Yahoo to iotamason
To build a tradition and not rest upon one.
also for networking.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
My family is West Indian, so growing up I knew no black Greeks whatsoever. I think my first exposure even to the IDEA of black greek life was the movie School Daze, and the stereotypes of sororities in that movie. I saw that movie when I was 8 and I carried those images around with me for a good long time, thinking members of x org were all like this and y org were all like that.

Then I had my first real job, and it was something of a nightmare. I hated working in that law firm, and throughout my whole experience there was one friend I had who was kind to me, and in large part kept me going throughout. She was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, and completely changed my mind about what it meant to be a part of such a wonderful organization. The sisterliness that she showed to me when she was under no obligation touched me deeply, and throughout the years I have tried my best to model that behavior- always giving a hand up to people, regardless of what we share or don't share.

When I got to college, there were no active NPHC sororities. Both had gone dormant. My sophmore year there were rumblings that two would be coming back to our campus. I was still torn because of the stereotypes that I'd assumed for so long were the truth as a child, but I did my research, and was blown away when I realized all of the women that I considered to be my idols who were members of Alpha Kappa Alpha (not to leave out other organizations- I had a similar sense of pride in black women, and wonder at all that we do reading about the history of every sorority in the D9). Ultimately, it was a matter of personal experience. I didn't have any with members of Delta Sigma Theta, but I had a very special place in my heart for AKA.

And that was it for me.

The funny thing was that looking at my line, we broke every steroetpye on record. We range from dark to light, short to tall, slim to 'thick'. Some are very 'ladylike' and some are unconventional in many ways, but we all had incredible ambition, drive and I have rarely been in the company of a more intelligent and learned bunch of young women. I respect that immensely.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iotamason View Post
To build a tradition and not rest upon one.
hardyharharharrrrrr...and goonygoogoo......
Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasad1913 View Post
Well, since I am one now, I think it is safe to say that I ALWAYS KNEW I would be a Delta.
This is an old post but Phasad is still a sucka.