GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,096
1 members and 1,095 guests
Sarak24034

Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I'm confused. Am I crazy or do your letters link to a UGA facebook page? Is this a joke?
You're definitely not crazy. Thanks for pointing out the facebook thing. I was too lazy to figure out how to make a Gamma when doing my signature so I just copy/pasted from facebook.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPDPrez View Post
What I shouldve said is that an once important member of the organization didnot want to be affiliated with us. Other members of the organization felt that it would be a good idea for us to keep our letters, otherwise...
I see. I think what's confusing me is not that they some of them didn't mind you using their letters, but that your org's history appears to indicate that this Canadian fraternity was actively part of the founding of Omega Phi Delta s.o.

Quote:
History

Omega Phi Delta is a social organization designed to fit the needs of college men and women looking for brother and sisterhood within their university. Established in 2002 Omega Phi Delta began as an all male organization and until 2006 did not have any women members. The values of the organization were shared by both interested men and women and with the unanimous decision among current brothers Omega Phi Delta became an organization for both men and women.
From this, it sounds like that Canadian fraternity went co-ed in 2006. Then your site further explains:

Quote:
Understanding Omega Phi Delta s.o.

Omega Phi Delta s.o. is a social organization for women who share common interests. Its about being best friends and always knowing that you have a shoulder to lean on. It's about togetherness and openness. If you feel that these things represent you we welcome you to learn more!
The connection between this and the previous history is unclear, but it looks like you're associated with the Canadian fraternity in some way. But, as you've said, this is not so. They only "felt that it would be a good idea for [you] to keep [your] letters." Now, I wouldn't suggest that you share private information about your history on your public site, but I think it's important to be as clear as possible so you can set yourselves apart (particularly as a local organization).

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i'll be completely honest.
we did a process into how we chose the specific letters we would like to stand for... and we based a few things surrounding the meanings and reasons why we chose them. three weeks later we stumbled upon an organization in canada that claimed to have already established the same letters. We did <i mean our vp> some reasearch and we tried to do the best we could to establish an agreement with the members of the fraternity... and just recently their site was dismembered... and we havent been able to contact them

Point is... my sisters and i werent about to change the letters... no others letter fit like these do... and while some of their brothers understood that, not all of them did...
so technically we arent really affiliated or associated with them.. it was out of respect that we acknowledge the use of the letters by another group-- which by me is okay as long as they respect the letters the same way i do

i hope this clears things up for you
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
i'll be completely honest.
we did a process into how we chose the specific letters we would like to stand for... and we based a few things surrounding the meanings and reasons why we chose them. three weeks later we stumbled upon an organization in canada that claimed to have already established the same letters. We did <i mean our vp> some reasearch and we tried to do the best we could to establish an agreement with the members of the fraternity... and just recently their site was dismembered... and we havent been able to contact them

Point is... my sisters and i werent about to change the letters... no others letter fit like these do... and while some of their brothers understood that, not all of them did...
so technically we arent really affiliated or associated with them.. it was out of respect that we acknowledge the use of the letters by another group-- which by me is okay as long as they respect the letters the same way i do

i hope this clears things up for you
Ok

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

ok!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

but id love to actually find an organization in the states with my letters
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
but id love to actually find an organization in the states with my letters
Why?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC2theEC View Post
I'm in a local sorority over at Elmhurst College in Illinois and we were originally the Little Sisters of Alpha Tau Omega but they're no longer on campus. Now we're Gamma Chi. I haven't heard of any real organizations with our name but people always get us confused with recruitment guides and Gamma Gamma Chi.
A little sister group that's now Gamma Chi.

Let the inside jokes fly.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

why not??
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
why not??
Because usually, members/founders of sororities (and fraternities) like to be distinct, which is why much thought is put into things like the selection of letters, colors, motto, symbol etc. Given that there is a finite number of letters, overlap often exists (most often due to a lack of research), but (speaking from my personal experience as a member of a GLO and that of my friends/family that are GLO members) I have yet to come across someone who desires to share letters with another organization.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority shares our letters with a group of seventh and eighth grade girls in Texas, who are part of an organization that promotes self-esteem and community involvement. The girls had selected the letters, and then their teacher googled the name to see if there were any organizations that shared it. She contacted us for permission to use the letters (the girls were already so excited about it!), and of course we gave it. We've kept in contact with them ever since, and we're sort of acting as their big-sisters.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphi_girl View Post
My sorority shares our letters with a group of seventh and eighth grade girls in Texas, who are part of an organization that promotes self-esteem and community involvement. The girls had selected the letters, and then their teacher googled the name to see if there were any organizations that shared it. She contacted us for permission to use the letters (the girls were already so excited about it!), and of course we gave it. We've kept in contact with them ever since, and we're sort of acting as their big-sisters.
Sigma Delta Phi is also the name of a fraternity at my school, otterbein college.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiRhoPres
Lightbulb

I could only find a few people who were kidding with the name Pi Rho. I'm not sure if there's any serious organization other then us with those letters. Thats kinda why we like them, cause they can be a joke but we used the fire symbolism to really mean something to us.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Burn Brightly sisters!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

incorporate your letters!!