GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,579
1 members and 1,578 guests
speedsters

Old 01-22-2020, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Random Pairs

So as not to hijack the IU recruitment thread, what colleges/universities do random pairs between Fraternities and Sororities? People say it works at all these other places, but I haven't heard any names.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Rod,

In the early 2000s, San Diego State University used random pairings for our Greek life events such as Greek Week. Since I was working in the Academic Advising Office and not in the Greek Life Office, I can't remember if Homecoming was random pairing or GLO choice. However, Greek Week was definitely random. SDSU has a large variety of GLOs and councils beyond IFC, NPHC and NPC. We also have the United Fraternity and Sorority Council (USFC) which houses the culturally-based, multicultural, and special interest GLOs.

The staff at SDSU's Greek Life Office was a big proponent of the idea that we are all Greeks *together* and supported measures which would bring unity across all of the councils. One of those measures was the random paring of GLOs from all four councils as teams for the huge Greek Week. For their part, the students were willing participants. I recall that the members would always seem to be having a great time during Greek Week - even when paired with groups they didn't really know. Yes, there is some talk of tiers at SDSU; but, not at all like other universities. I think we have a general culture of tolerance here in Southern California or maybe just San Diego. That said, it's definitely do-able.

Here is an older article which does a decent job of spelling out the Greek Week events: https://thedailyaztec.com/21653/dail...k-for-charity/

True and Constant
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Iowa State does random pairing for both Homecoming and Greek Week. You can't be paired with a group you've already been with for the past year.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan did when I was there, for Greek Week and Homecoming. And the campus where I advise does, too.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou
Old 01-22-2020, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Florida State did when I was there. Social chairmen/women literally drew names out of a hat.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Mizzou
Yes, Mizzou definitely randomly assigns pairs for HoCo and Greek Week. They've been doing it that way for a long time. And some years, there have been pairings between one sorority and two frats, which works given that many of the sororities are twice the size of some fraternities.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Obviously a much smaller campus than any listed so far, but Butler has always done it this way - random pairings on a rotating basis for homecoming and any other big all-campus activity events such as "Yell Like Hell." Back in the day, it was random pairs for Spring Sing, too. They also include all on-campus housing units, not just GLOs. Sometimes three groups are paired together, such as two sororities and one fraternity, or one fraternity/one sorority/one dorm.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Syracuse University does random pairings also. As was described for San Diego State, these include other Councils along with NPC and IFC
Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas
Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

In the early 2000s, IU did do random pairs for Greek Sing. However Greek Sing died when you would no longer have new members doing something the rest of the chapter was not

Ohio University did random pairs for Greek Week back in the day. Sometimes they would double up fraternities if the numbers were off- so two smaller fraternities with one sorority.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-23-2020, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
In the early 2000s, IU did do random pairs for Greek Sing. However Greek Sing died when you would no longer have new members doing something the rest of the chapter was not
We bailed on Greek Sing long before that. Too much work and we sucked anyway.