GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,362
1 members and 1,361 guests
John

Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't look at Oakland. It is quite a drive, but I'll check it out. We checked out Wayne County, Monroe County, Henry Ford and Schoolcraft Community Colleges. Then Wayne State and Eastern Michigan. I forget about Oakland U, even though my mom graduated from there in 1979, when I was 14!

They actually are offering Spanish II during the second summer session as a night class. I do have to say, I'm kind of surprised how high their tuition is, but I'll see if she's interested.

Last edited by AGDee; 04-27-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there any way she could take the class online? I'm teaching a high school Spanish class online this summer, so I would assume there would be an online equivalent for the university level. (But you know what they say when you assume something...I could be wrong.)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I didn't look at Oakland. It is quite a drive, but I'll check it out. We checked out Wayne County, Monroe County, Henry Ford and Schoolcraft Community Colleges. Then Wayne State and Eastern Michigan. I forget about Oakland U, even though my mom graduated from there in 1979, when I was 14!

They actually are offering Spanish II during the second summer session as a night class. I do have to say, I'm kind of surprised how high their tuition is, but I'll see if she's interested.
Nice, I hope it works out!

Some other smaller schools I can think of off the top of my head (no idea what their summer course offerings are or what tuition would be--some could be pricey but I bet not Barnard pricey)

Concordia in Ann Arbor (Christian school, but if she doesn't mind that...)
Madonna in Livonia (Catholic, but not in-your-face--I took a course there one summer in high school. The calendar may not line up though)
UD Mercy
Rochester College
UM Dearborn
Washtenaw Community College
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Her school will not accept credits for online classes, unfortunately. That has added to the difficulty.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Her school will not accept credits for online classes, unfortunately. That has added to the difficulty.
W&L has the same policy. They also won't accept community college credits once a student has matriculated.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
W&L has the same policy. They also won't accept community college credits once a student has matriculated.
I guess that's how exclusive schools stay exclusive.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I was surprised that she can get credit for community college classes, but there are forms to fill out in advance for approval. For something like Spanish, it's not tough.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I guess that's how exclusive schools stay exclusive.
That was exactly my thought at the beginning of the year. Now I feel it goes deeper than that. Between AP and dual enrollment, my daughter would have started college with 31 credits if she'd gone to the state university where I teach. W&L granted her 9. And, they wanted her to repeat the same level foreign language course she'd already gotten an A in as a dual enrollment student. Her advisor overrode that. In retrospect she should have repeated the course. The language courses were the hardest ones this year. The level of rigor, and the reading and workload greatly surpasses what she'd previously experienced, and I can say she's getting a great education.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Barnard has them take a language placement test, which I think is a good idea. Three years of high school Spanish got her placed into elementary Spanish II. That is similar to my own experience. I had four years of high school Spanish and I took Spanish I in college because I was worried that I wouldn't have learned the same basic vocabulary that was expected. I was glad I did that because we covered in one semester everything we had covered in four years of Spanish in high school.

Overall though, I would say the level of rigor in all of her classes far surpasses the level of rigor in 90% of my classes at the state university where I went. My classes were all about "read the book, listen to the lecture, regurgitate the information on an exam." Hers are very different, strongly geared toward more critical thinking and analysis of the subject matter, not just regurgitating what she read and heard in lecture.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She will become a strong, beautiful Barnard woman, majoring in unafraid. She's going to make a brand new start of it in old New York. And if she can make it there, she's going to make it anywhere...
This lovely quote says it all (I just read your post in the other thread). Congratulations to you and Hypo, AGDee!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I was going to try to find this thread and gave up...lol. She's done welo! Has had a job offer since January and will be moving to DC after she does one last internship this summer in NYC! Geaduation is May 17 th at Radio City Music Hall!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Hypo and to Mom!!!

Generallygreek is also graduating next month from W&L...whew, we made it through one more life event, Dee!