GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,277
4 members and 1,273 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 07-05-2001, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sketched - the Charleston version of sketchy; usually used as "that kid is sketched out."

Hard core - this is starting to go out of use, but it is used to add extra emphasis, as in "that kid is HARD CORE sketched out!"

As far as slang restricted to my sorority, we always talk about "Sweet Home Eta Lambda." We are the Eta Lambda chapter, so the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Sweet Home Alabama" is our chapter song. We sing, "Sweet home eta lambda, where the skies are so blue, and the Zetas true!" We also use the word "scandalous" a lot, as in "Those girls in XYZ sorority are scandalous!"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2001, 10:16 PM
UMgirl

We use the words sketchy and shady too, but i think out most unique one is Waffle House.
If you see one of you sisters being stalked by a guy at a party or wherever and she looks like she needs your help, you go up and tell her your leaving for the Waffle House, or ask her if she wants to go to the waffle house. Funny thing is there is a waffle house within like a 30 mile radius of us. But it works everytime
Old 07-05-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by nucutiepie:
Alpha Chi Girl, when discussing Yankee slang, how could you EVER forget WICKED????
As in "that guy was wicked sketchy..."

although its mostly a MA thing and you go to school in RI....
Oh, I know all about wicked...since I don't use it, I didn't post it.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Two of our sisters started the "Why you Jealous?" Its used for anything like I wake up, looking beautiful as ever, and see one of them and say "Why you jealous I look so good? Youre just jealous!" Also used as in: Look at that girl, shes just jealous cos shes not a Phi Sig! Its universal. We also use scandalous! Another is one my friend made up when I visited her at Clarion during my Sr year of HS... "My love for you is like Bizzorikork!" Bizzorikork is just a random word used for anything.

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!

[This message has been edited by AngelPhiSig (edited July 05, 2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Girl, when discussing Yankee slang, how could you EVER forget WICKED????
As in "that guy was wicked sketchy..."

although its mostly a MA thing and you go to school in RI....
Old 07-06-2001, 12:02 AM

"Frump" (i.e. I can't go out looking all frumpy like this)

"Pasty troll" (i.e. that pasty troll was hitting on my boyfriend!)

"TastyCake" (i.e. Did you see Sigma Chi's fall pledges? TastyCakes, every one of them!)

"N.V.D.Z." (i.e. a sister is not acting in a ladylike fashion in public so someone would go up to her and remind her that she is being Not Very Delta Zeta-like)

"Pull a Heather" (i.e. Heather was a new member who got depledged after appearing in Playboy. The pledge mom would remind her charges that they always needed to remember to represent the sorority in a good light, to not pull a Heather.)
Old 07-06-2001, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Hmm ...

We use "Powdonk" as hillbilies. I think that's an Iowan slang, so that's not original.

Also, we use "SCORE" while tallying one on the air, meaning we're "scoring" someone (if you know what I mean)

The original one is "the ROMANS", refering people from dorms. As we're Greek community here, "the Romans" community always try to compete Greeks in everything - homecoming, VEISHEA (ISU celebration) etc, but usually end up with losing tournaments or cancelling skit or whatever ... too bad for all of us, I guess.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a few things

Jesus - When my pledge class was pledging, there was a giant jesus statue in the basement, and one of the brothers made comments sarcastically asking if Jesus said it was ok (50% of our chapter is Jewish). Therfore whenever one of us did something stupid, one of us will say "Did JESUS say you could..."

Don't Be that Guy - Stolen from a scene out of PCU, said to someone who is ruining the good time or who is making us do something we don't want to.

Old 07-13-2001, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

In my chapter we use the phrase jam all of the time, as in, "I can't believe I messed up. What a jam!" or "Jam Job!" when someone messes up a lot.
Another one that we use a lot is adding "Yeah!" to the beginning of every phrase. Like "Yeah Greekchat"
Old 07-14-2001, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We always say "Money", a term used instead of cool or sweet. We also say Late instead of later, it is meant to say goodbye. A lot of girls use the term Johnny for that time of the month, I have no idea where it comes from.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We joke to our pledges that they are "becoming a Pi Phi" when they start to pick up these phrases:

1. Pretty sure
As in "Pretty sure I need to get to the gym after that dinner"
2. I feel as though...
As in "I feel as though I need to study all night to not fail this class."
3. Don't think that...
As in "Don't think that she didn't hook up with that weird guy last night (She did)"
4. Woot Woot
When we get excited we just say "woot woot, woot woot" in a monotone manner.
5. Shady
"That is some shady sh*t"
6. PS
" Oh yeah and PS: our calc final is next wed. ..could we be anymore screwed?"
7. The chandler "Could you be, could we be..."
"Could she be anymore obnoxious?"
8. Obese
" I am feeling rather obese today."
9. Guido-a sleezy type male.
10. MMmmm...not so much.
This has the most flexible usage. Basically a sign of disapproval. It can be a response to someone's question: "Did you make it to the gym yesterday?" -"Mmmm, not so much). Or if a guido guy walks by and smiles at you. You turn to the girls, put yourfinger up to your lips and say "Mmmm...not so much."
Just a few

Last edited by pbpck; 07-09-2002 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Hmmm...I never thought of this before! But there is a lot of stuff.

When I first joined, we used to call each other "peench" all the time.

Also lots of things were followed with "pretty girls":
"Come on pretty girls, let's go" or "Smile pretty girls".

We also call each other "hooch" in the most loving way...it's funny!

"SOOOOO": "I SOOOO kicked butt on that test" or "I SOOOO do not have any money in my account"

"I KNOOOOOOW!": DZ#1: "There were no close parking spots and I had to park all the way over at Wendy's." DZ#2 "Oh, I KNOOOOOWWW! They should SOOOOO build a parking garage here!"

We also call the girls in the chapter who share first names by their last name...
Old 12-15-2001, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brooklineu

LMAO...my friends laugh at me cuz I do The Chandler all the time...along with the "Oh....my....Gawd!" and Monica's "I know!!"

LOL

Haha..totally hear you on that one.

Oh yes, I forgot:

Get excited!

As in "Get excited Pi Phi!" we aaaaalways say that..it's like some sarcastic, self mockery thing.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl
Random is one of my favorite words. I use it all the time, and have turned everyone on to it.

"Sketchy"--definitely New England slang. Basically used to define someone or something who is less than legitimate.

"Shady"--same thing.

It also must be Texas slang, i have used sketchy for years
Old 12-15-2001, 03:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
I have used sketchy for years
Here in Australia, they say DODGY for sketchy!