GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,074
1 members and 1,073 guests
LaneSig

Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy helppp. spring recruitment...

so i rushed for spring, seemingly got along with the girls.
got invited back to the house for a social.
they mentioned that bids were being given the next day.
yet no one ever heard back from the sorority..
were we supposed to pick up the bids? or were they being delivered?
does this mean we didn't get the bid? :/
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried contacting the house?
At my school, they call you either way, but if your recruitment process was especially large, they may not contact you if you didn't get a bid.

Try emailing or calling the house or your office of greek life.
I hope that helped!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDLove View Post
Have you tried contacting the house?
At my school, they call you either way, but if your recruitment process was especially large, they may not contact you if you didn't get a bid.

Try emailing or calling the house or your office of greek life.
I hope that helped!
haha i've thought about emailing the house, but i'm scared to find out about not getting the bid :/
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

when was this event? Was it two days ago, or a few weeks ago? I'd say your next plan of action depends on how long ago this was.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiTigergurl View Post
when was this event? Was it two days ago, or a few weeks ago? I'd say your next plan of action depends on how long ago this was.
the last event was on friday.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
haha i've thought about emailing the house, but i'm scared to find out about not getting the bid :/
Well, wouldn't you rather know then spend time dwelling on what could be?
Even if it isn't the answer you wanted, at least you'd know.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM

If this was an open bid party, it really was not wise of the sorority to say "bids are being given on so and so day."

If you haven't heard from the sorority, you didn't get a bid NOW. I would not call or email or otherwise pester the sorority though - it could ruin your chances of their giving you a bid at a later date. If they're interested in you, you will be invited to subsequent events.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok just my two cents here...but I would wait a little while before you contacted the sorority. Maybe they have decided who to give bids to, but are waiting before handing them out. Hypothetically: This could be for a number of reasons, assuming the event was friday night, they decided late friday night who to extend bids to. Saturday the school is closed. So Monday they submit names to panhel to make sure all girls are eligible to recieve a bid (grades, have waited a year, full time students, etc. etc). So it may take a few days for this information to get back to the sorority, or there could be anumber of reason you don't know yet. I would even think about contacting them until next friday AT THE EARLIEST!

Last edited by ADPiTigergurl; 04-13-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: major typo
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If this was an open bid party, it really was not wise of the sorority to say "bids are being given on so and so day."

If you haven't heard from the sorority, you didn't get a bid NOW. I would not call or email or otherwise pester the sorority though - it could ruin your chances of their giving you a bid at a later date. If they're interested in you, you will be invited to subsequent events.
Agreed. I didn't mean that she should flood them with calls.
I went through almost the exact same situation and spend 2 days without a call, going crazy. I simply called the number that was given to me at the beginning of COB and found out that I had received a bid but wrote the wrong number! Just my $0.02.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
the last event was on friday.
So the event was last Friday, and today is Tuesday? Perhaps they had some internal paperwork or meetings/discussion/voting that needed to happen, or check grades through the registrar or Greek Life before handing out bids. Handing out informal bids on a Saturday could be problematic if people already had plans to go out of town or something.

If you really want to contact them, why not send a thank you card for having you at the event and that you (enjoyed the pizza, liked the movie, think dodge ball was awesome, whatever the activity was) and you look forward to seeing them around campus. If you didn't get a bid due to space or something, and they like you, you have left it on a positive note. If you did get a bid and they couldn't contact you, now they can. Having good manners won't hurt you, and they will realize you are interested but not pushy.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Every chapter is different. We can't tell you for sure whether you're going to get one or not (or whether they were going to bring them to you or not).

If you feel the need to contct them, shoot the recruitment chair an email thanking them for inviting you and telling them you had a good time. I wouldn't outright email/call and ask if you got a bid.

I tell this story sometimes, but when I was going through spring recruitment, I went to events during the week, and did not hear anything back until the next Monday. I was convinced I wasn't going to get a bid. But I ended up being asked to attend another event on Tuesday and was asked to join.

Looking back, they had to clear my grades and get other paperwork in order and couldn't do so until the next week, hence the wait.

So you don't know whether you'll get one or not. Just be patient. Good luck.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
So the event was last Friday, and today is Tuesday? Perhaps they had some internal paperwork or meetings/discussion/voting that needed to happen, or check grades through the registrar or Greek Life before handing out bids. Handing out informal bids on a Saturday could be problematic if people already had plans to go out of town or something.

If you really want to contact them, why not send a thank you card for having you at the event and that you (enjoyed the pizza, liked the movie, think dodge ball was awesome, whatever the activity was) and you look forward to seeing them around campus. If you didn't get a bid due to space or something, and they like you, you have left it on a positive note. If you did get a bid and they couldn't contact you, now they can. Having good manners won't hurt you, and they will realize you are interested but not pushy.

As VandalSquirrel stated, you should send a "Thank You" card. I think that is (by far) one of the classiest things you can do, in general. It is so true that you can leave on a positive note. I try to send "Thank You" cards out to people who write me job/ school recommendations, send me gifts, etc. It does leave you on a positive note and it doesn't seem too clingy or weird. It seems nice. Because you seem very excited about getting a bid (like you are ready for Greek life) I wish you the best of luck! If you do get a bid, to this sorority, or any other, please come back here and share the news! I know everyone is excited for you!