GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,338
0 members and 2,338 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Freshman seeking a family.

I'm a freshman at Indiana University, and I've been gradually becoming more interested in rushing next year. But there are a lot of aspects that worry me:

- I'm not a partier. I don't drink or do drugs, but I don't think I'd mind going to a party to dance or anything.

- I'll have to rush as a Sophomore, and I don't know if that's too late.

- I'm not much of a "girly girl". I'll have my moments, but to me jeans and a t-shirt are the way to go.

So I'm worried that I'm too old and that there's no sorority that will fit me. But I'm a single child who hasn't made any good friends this year. I want that feeling of family and sisterhood that sororities promise.

So if anyone out there can answer questions, or just tell me more about the different sororities at IU (I don't know much about them, and their websites all say the same things...I want to know the truth...do they party? Are they more girly girl? etc. etc.), please let me know. I just need some advice and insight rightnow.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I absolutely know nothing about Indiana recruitment but a few comments: How will you know if you will/might get a bid unless you rush? If you don't then your chances are zero. ONE YEAR? The difference between 18 and 19 being crucial in terms of friends? Heck, some of my friends are 10 years older or younger than me. So what?

You may make friends with othe pnms. So, no matter what the outcome you will still be ahead.

Sartorial question: My daughter wears jeans and shirts (no necessarily t shirts) everday to class. The Monday night dinners she wears what is appropriate.

Partying question: As it happens my daughter doesn't like the taste of liquor. Hates beer...will sip a bit of my drink in Hawaii or on a cruise. Her boyfriend doesn't drink. Again doesn't like the taste....doesn't stop them from going to parties. This has nothing to do with religious conviction.

And...........when I was in college I devised a technique for drinking: Take two sips, carry drink for 40 minutes. Find an open window or an anemic plant. Water same or drizzle out the window. You don't have to wear this like a badge of honor, just do what makes you feel comfortable. (Who would know that I would be the one with the wine cellar all these years later?)
Old 04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

You should contact Bloomington's campus Panhel or Greek Life office for more info about recruitment and individual chapters. 95% of the people posting here will only be able to tell you information you could get through IU's websites.

IU recruitment is definitely competitive (1500-1800 women for 19 NPC groups), but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try. Bid or no bid, you will make friends during the recruitment process.

If I were you, I would look out for club call-out meetings during the Fall 2010 semester. Getting involved on campus is a great way to stand above your peers during recruitment. Is there a club associated with your major or prospective career? Are you passionate about politics or a social issue? There is SO MUCH to do at IU-Bloomington, and getting involved in non-Greek activities will help you during recruitment, both in padding your resume and potentially introducing you to active Greeks.

Definitely go through recruitment in 2010-2011, but remember that going Greek isn't the only way to make friends. A meaningful membership in any organization can be a great way to round out your college experience

EDIT: Don't forget about the non-NPC groups on campus as well. In my year at IUB, I worked with a girl who is a Theta Nu Xi and she absolutely adored her sisterhood. I had no intentions of going greek while at IU, but knowing her definitely made me want to know more about Greek life and MCGLOs.

Last edited by ASAlamb; 04-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

there are several threads about recruitment at IU. i believe that pnms have been advised to get recommendations. how are your grades? the sororities will be looking for pnms with good gpas. have you joined any clubs on campus? that will be important too.

you should give recruitment a try. i imagine that you will meet lots of pnms and sorority members who prefer to wear jeans and t-shirts to class. you should, however, find out what the appropriate dress is for recruitment and follow suit. just as you wouldn't show up for most job interviews in jeans and a t-shirt, you should put your best foot forward during recruitment.

you will not have to drink or become wild to join a sorority. just like in your dorm, there will be partiers, leaders, quiet girls, the studious, the religious, the non-religious, the athletes, the rich girls, the girls on financial aid and everything in between! sororities are made up of lots of different girls with different interests and backgrounds. within that larger group, there will be smaller groups-you'll find your niche.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-04-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Does anyone else have a sense of deja vu??

ellebud, I don't think castigating her for worrying about the age difference is really nice or fair. We say on here all the time that freshmen have a better chance at rush at some schools. Of course a year doesn't matter in terms of interests, friendships when you're not in school anymore. But she IS in school.

OP, ditto to what everyone else said. You will have to, as you get older, start dressing up sometimes...better to get in the habit now than later.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I do dress up..I'm in the Business School. I just meant that as more of a statement of what my fashion sense is, meaning that I don't really have one.

Maybe I'm just getting the media's image of sororities, but I'm hoping they're not true, and I guess I'm just looking for that reassurance.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As for the age, 33girl explained what I meant. I've read posts that say it's hard for Sophomore rushees to get a spot, so I was seeing if that was true or not. I'm find with making friends younger and older than me, but as for the rushing standards, I didn't know how much of a chance I would have as a Sophomore.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr_freak16 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I do dress up..I'm in the Business School. I just meant that as more of a statement of what my fashion sense is, meaning that I don't really have one.

Maybe I'm just getting the media's image of sororities, but I'm hoping they're not true, and I guess I'm just looking for that reassurance.
Are there any Greek women in your Kelley classes? Business is a pretty popular major among IU Greeks. You should approach these women about Greek life, recruitment, etc and try to befriend them. See if these are women you would want to call sisters.

(Go SPEA, btw )

Quote:
As for the age, 33girl explained what I meant. I've read posts that say it's hard for Sophomore rushees to get a spot, so I was seeing if that was true or not. I'm find with making friends younger and older than me, but as for the rushing standards, I didn't know how much of a chance I would have as a Sophomore.
It is harder for a sophomore at IU to get a bid, that's true. Think about it from the active members' prospectives: IU has a deferred recruitment, so a sophmore will realistically have 2.5 years to be an active, contributing member to the group whereas a freshman PNM would have 3.5 years to grow and develop within the sorority. It isn't impossible to get a bid as a sophomore, but it's important to be realistic about your prospects. There are chapters at IU that will probably cut you just because you're a sophomore unless you know women in that chapter very well, or stand out in a spectacular way.

Last edited by ASAlamb; 04-04-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm a freshman at Indiana University, and I've been gradually becoming more interested in rushing next year. But there are a lot of aspects that worry me:

- I'm not a partier. I don't drink or do drugs, but I don't think I'd mind going to a party to dance or anything.

- I'll have to rush as a Sophomore, and I don't know if that's too late.

- I'm not much of a "girly girl". I'll have my moments, but to me jeans and a t-shirt are the way to go.

So I'm worried that I'm too old and that there's no sorority that will fit me. But I'm a single child who hasn't made any good friends this year. I want that feeling of family and sisterhood that sororities promise.

So if anyone out there can answer questions, or just tell me more about the different sororities at IU (I don't know much about them, and their websites all say the same things...I want to know the truth...do they party? Are they more girly girl? etc. etc.), please let me know. I just need some advice and insight rightnow.
The bottom line is that in every group, there will be girls who are girly, others who are more casual, and any other number of "types".

Same with drinking. Some girls drink a little, some once a week, some more often. Some don't drink, and chances are, some drink a lot. In almost ANY gathering of college-ages students, you'll find that the tastes and habits run the gamut.

If those are the two things you are most worried about, I can assure you that not EVERY member of EVERY group is any one thing (except female). As for specifics regarding your school, talk to people in classes or go to the Greek Life/Panhel office.

The best advice I can give is that if you DO go through rush, keep an open mind, and tell yourself that the world won't end if you don't get a bid. There are so many other things to do and be part of. Of course, I hope that it works out for you. Above all BE YOURSELF. It sounds cliche but it's so true. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM

In terms of IU recruitment itself, this thread has links to a couple of other threads about rushing @ IU as a soph. Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=Indiana

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Do freshman have an easier time getting a bid? From what I understand yes. But in terms of actual age, the difference in AGE between a freshman and a sophomore can be days pr a sophomore can be younger than a freshman. For instance, in some public schools the cutoff date for kindergarten is December 1, in others September 1. In private schools the cutoff date is JUNE 1. And plenty of parents hold their kids back no matter what the cutoff date . In a year of kindergarten there can be kids who are 6 1/2 when they start and some.......4. So, I stand by the my advice about not worrying about making (or eliminating) friends because of class standing stands. As for being a sophomore and it being possibly more difficult to pledge: yes, in general that is true.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post

And...........when I was in college I devised a technique for drinking: Take two sips, carry drink for 40 minutes. Find an open window or an anemic plant. Water same or drizzle out the window.
hahahahaha this is great advice, hysterical!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
As for being a sophomore and it being possibly more difficult to pledge: yes, in general that is true.
Quote:
Thank you, drive the ##%& on through.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When I was in college I devised a technique for drinking: Take two sips, carry drink for 40 minutes. Find an open window or an anemic plant. Water same or drizzle out the window. You don't have to wear this like a badge of honor, just do what makes you feel comfortable. (Who would know that I would be the one with the wine cellar all these years later?)
This is pretty much the exact advice my mother gave me before I went to college, after I confessed I was worried about people partying all the time. Wise words

OP, I don't know anything about where you're rushing, so my advice will be rather generic. When asked, I always tell people to try recruitment. You may find a group you love and who loves you back, or you may not find that perfect fit. But you don't know unless you try! There are all types of sorority girls out there, and not all of them fit the stereotypes (I certainly don't!). Good luck with whatever you choose, though!

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Your class and plain jane attitude may not hurt your chances, but the fact that you're a Lord of the Rings freak may.