GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,548
2 members and 1,546 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Elon Recruitment

Anyone been through it? Anyone know anything about toughness, quota, and number of girls that go through it? Results from last year? Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjen View Post
Anyone been through it? Anyone know anything about toughness, quota, and number of girls that go through it? Results from last year? Thanks
Here is some information that I posted in another thread about Elon's recruitment:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=elon

Total I believe is at 120. Fall COB is based on the number of available spots in each group - there is not a set qouta like for Formal Recruitment which is held in January. I am not sure which groups are participating in Fall COB. Fall COB is only for upper classmen.

Last formal recruitment, I believe qouta was around 38. Many chapters took qouta additions. Qouta has steadily been in the mid 30s to low 40s over the last 2 to 3 years. If my memory serves me correctly there were about 400ish PNMs that went through formal recruitment.

As for difficulty: I think Elon's recruitment can be difficult if you get your heart set on certain groups. Recs are not necessary but can help you stand out from the crowd. Elon takes very well rounded students who have good grades - so standing out during recruitment can be difficult.

The worst thing that you can do at Elon before recruitment is be "that girl" - the one who gets sloppy drunk, who hits on fraternity guys with girlfriends, who makes out with someone in the fountain, etc.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by MaggieXi; 09-01-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Shout out to PNMs at Elon University

So... how's it going ??? Looks like you are about to be hit by another blast of arctic weather. Don't be putting away your mittens, yet.

Recruitment Schedule:

Tuesday, January 26, 7:30 p.m.
Recruitment Convocation, McKinnon Hall

Wednesday, January 27, 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Information Round – Visit all 8 sorority houses.

Thursday, January 28, 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Philanthropy Round – Visit maximum of 6 houses.

Friday, January 29, 11:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Sisterhood Round - Visit a maximum of 4 houses.

Saturday, January 30, 12:00 – 5:30 p.m. (Weather Outlook: SNOW all day !!!)
Preference Round - Visit a maximum of 2 houses.

Sunday, January 31, 12 NOON - Bid Day.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

good luck to your daughter. please let us know how it works out.

and hang in there mom-i was in your shoes 4 years ago, so i know what you are going thru.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

And isn't it a bit odd that they have to postpone it when all the PNMs are within walking distance to the houses? I guess some older girls in the houses and certainly the staff & any alums who are helping with recruitment would need to drive in from elsewhere, and that one NC snowplow is going to be pretty busy elsewhere tomorrow. Seriously, I am not from the South and 6 inches doesn't seem like much to me. Better safe I guess. My daughter is having a GREAT time in rush, loves the 4 she went to today. Fingers crossed. This is VERY stressful for moms.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Classes start Tuesday, though people start returning from break on Monday so it may get a little crazy with Bid Day activities and snow still on the ground and all. Hopefully somebody posts pictures or videos.

Animal_House, where did you dig up that 80s video of recruitment? So funny to see where fashion was thirty years ago, but I bet the moms on this thread are getting a kick out of the googly eyeglasses, caterpillar mustaches and poofy hair. And those facial expressions… ahahaha, I just can’t stop laughing. ROFL!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref was this morning, and I believe bid day activities will begin tonight around 8. It'll be a shortened bid day, but at least they'll get it all in. I was planning on going down to help, but I'm snowed in.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
P.S. I'm still a bit confused regarding the Barbie's Rush username. What is going on with that? Also, I think it was way out of line to post things about someone not being able to have children or having a successful career. That was horrible.
Those quotes from BR were taken out of context, and if you saw the posts that BR was responding to, you may feel different. I mean, you might not, but regardless, I think there's more to it then what you see in this thread...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Dang, what’s with all the variations on Barbie names? Let’s just say I am referring to the Barbie who is being abusive --- Bully Barbie, in my book. Thanks for pointing out a potential offence, Benzgirl, clearly no two Barbies are the same. For the record, everything I post on this board is intended to be supportive and well-meaning. I understand very well the stress sorority recruitment entails and apologize if anyone has misunderstood the messages I’ve posted here thus far.

I do, however, beg to differ with Kappamd regarding a different take on what a “reputation” represents. Reputations, while not always entirely deserved, may well be all you have to work with before you’ve had a chance to validate or disprove what you can’t help hearing. I consider my previous post regarding Bully Barbie a public service to the community that is frequenting this thread. Posters who regularly manipulate threads through taunting and insults are trolls, and a troll by any other name is a bully. Bullies have serious problems and they can rear up their heads any time you don’t check them on their behavior.

I’ve been reading GreekChat since I registered as a member of this forum in 2007, but have only recently started posting. Unlike well-meaning comments I have offered in this thread, I've seen Bully Barbie post malicious statements on other threads and see that Bully Barbie has a real potential of setting off emotional upset. I caution readers of this thread, and Bully Barbie’s posts in particular: Don’t be naïve.

Now, returning to the true focus of this thread, Elon PNM’s… how’s it going?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Those quotes from BR were taken out of context, and if you saw the posts that BR was responding to, you may feel different. I mean, you might not, but regardless, I think there's more to it then what you see in this thread...
lovespink88,
I agree. I think there must be more to it than what I saw in this thread. That is why I was so confused. I have no idea what is going on with that whole username. From what I remember, Barbie's Rush has always been very sweet. I generally just read and sometimes make comments. I really didn't mean to come off as offensive.

I think we should always welcome positive things said about chapters, provided positive things are said about ALL of the chapters and not just the more popular ones. I believe in being panhellenic-spirited.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Barbie's Rush is always honest and was dealing with a troll in the posted comments.

Back to Elon talk: I've heard quota was 40!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntobewild View Post
Dang, what’s with all the variations on Barbie names? Let’s just say I am referring to the Barbie who is being abusive --- Bully Barbie, in my book. Thanks for pointing out a potential offence, Benzgirl, clearly no two Barbies are the same. For the record, everything I post on this board is intended to be supportive and well-meaning. I understand very well the stress sorority recruitment entails and apologize if anyone has misunderstood the messages I’ve posted here thus far.

I do, however, beg to differ with Kappamd regarding a different take on what a “reputation” represents. Reputations, while not always entirely deserved, may well be all you have to work with before you’ve had a chance to validate or disprove what you can’t help hearing. I consider my previous post regarding Bully Barbie a public service to the community that is frequenting this thread. Posters who regularly manipulate threads through taunting and insults are trolls, and a troll by any other name is a bully. Bullies have serious problems and they can rear up their heads any time you don’t check them on their behavior.

I’ve been reading GreekChat since I registered as a member of this forum in 2007, but have only recently started posting. Unlike well-meaning comments I have offered in this thread, I've seen Bully Barbie post malicious statements on other threads and see that Bully Barbie has a real potential of setting off emotional upset. I caution readers of this thread, and Bully Barbie’s posts in particular: Don’t be naïve.

Now, returning to the true focus of this thread, Elon PNM’s… how’s it going?
I don't care what your opinions about "reputations" are. We don't post them on GC. You should know that if you've been around since 2007.

Furthermore, I find it incredibly ironic that you are accusing BR of bullying. You don't consider calling out a poster, twisting her posts out of context, and repeatedly calling her names bullying?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

To Kappamd, click on following each Barbie's_Rush post in the ree-Xi collection I posted. You will find that comments are not taken out of context and many posters were offended by his/her comments. Then click on Barbie's_Rush screen name to see the pattern. Beyond that, calling a spade... a spade.

---------------------

Quota of 40 at Elon... that's terrific !!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I don't care what your opinions about "reputations" are. We don't post them on GC. You should know that if you've been around since 2007.

Furthermore, I find it incredibly ironic that you are accusing BR of bullying. You don't consider calling out a poster, twisting her posts out of context, and repeatedly calling her names bullying?
Thank you. Those posts were completely taken out of context. They were all in response to evil posts made by the oft-banned disgusting swamp beast once known as Blue Angel, using a troll ID designed to look like mine. Each time she was banned, those posts disappeared, so the Elon stalker has no idea what he/she is talking about.

To the Borntobewild Elon stalker: You have been around GC since 2007, and should know that posts about reputations are not acceptable here. You appear to have no connection to Elon as a student, PNM, member of a Greek organization, Greek alumna/e, employee or parent of a current student/Greek. Yet almost all of your posts involve Elon and are a little too interested in the sororities. It's much too Prune Taco-ish in my opinion. I am not a troll, but I do call situations as I see them.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi: Quota +4, for a total of 44 new members! I'm so proud of my chapter