GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,560
1 members and 1,559 guests
navane

Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE Knoxville

Anybody know about a colony at Knoxville?

Now, there is a tough spot.

There is a webpage:

Tau Kappa Epsilon
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
"...not for wealth, rank, or honor,
but for the personal worth and charater..."
For more information, email us at tke@utk.edu.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE--U of Tenn-Knoxville

might check with HQ....TKE has some good chapters in TN,
but had never been in Knoxville. A group, perhaps spearheaded
by some Chattanooga transfers, started a TKE interest group, in
great opposition from some other greeks, perhaps the ersatz
dipshit Greek IFC crew.
Last I heard they were losin steam, had a helleva good start, but
I would not be surprised to see TKE lose this one...But might contact HQ. I would shit-can it if we could not get the blessings;
TKE needs no more uphill battles...IMHO....
Old 06-08-2004, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

TKE Knoxville was actually spearheaded by a brother from the Sigma Omicron chapter at Middle Tennessee State University (for the record). The problem that keeps them a colony has to do with rules involving the IFC at UTK. Apparently, in order to be considered an official fraternity there you have to have an established tradition with the school. This is a conundrum as an organization would need to be chartered in order to establish that tradition with the school. As far as sheer numbers, I'm not too sure as to their status. It is my belief that they're doing alright as a chapter, but I could be wrong.

By the way, thanks for the compliment Frater Conard for the 'good chapters in TN' remark. I do appreciate that.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for crashing your board (I was reading Reagan thoughts), but I wanted to chime in here. A guy I went to high school with told me that he was trying to get the TKE chapter started at UTK a few years back (sometime between 96-01) but said that they weren't recognized by campus. I don't know if that helps you out any or makes any sense, but I do recall him telling me about this.

Interesting article from a couple of years ago:
http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/article.php/2267

Last edited by DZHBrown; 06-08-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ryan400z
I go to UTK and know a little bit about the TKE colony here. They tried to get a chapter in 2001 but IFC would not let them have one for reasons I am not sure about. TKE has a decent amount of people but they do not have a house so nobody knows anything about them, they do their rush separately and the only reason why I know anything about TKE is my roommate was rushed by them freshmen year. My roommate was a really cool guy, a professional skateboarder, he never went TKE but said they were really down to earth guys and not the typical southern fraternity guys at UTK.
I think they deserved a charter here and it caused a bit of a controversy when IFC turned them down.
Overall, UTK is a very competitive greek school and IFC has not allowed a colony at UTK since 1986. The dean of students and the majority of our administration is very strict and the school is really beginning to be anti-greek in many ways, they do not stick up for greeks at all. I would not recommend TKE continuing to try and establish a chapter here in this hostile anti-greek school.
Also whoever wrote that editorial in the Daily Beacon must have been a TKE. I understand how he was pissed about not getting a charter but he used a lot of bias in his editorial. TKE is not the only fraternity that has been turned down here in the past few years, Chi-Phi has not been allowed to come back, Delta Sig did not get a charter and lost their colony and a few other chapters have not been able to establish their presence here.
P.S. I edited this because I used UTK and UT, which are both used when talking about the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, I changed that and am only using UTK. Also, Lambda Chi just recolonized at UT-Austin not Knoxville, Tom probaly thought we were talking about UT-Austin.

Last edited by Ryan400z; 06-11-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Yes, UT is a tough Campus. LXA just recolonized there and is slowly growing.! This was after many years of being very strong there!

Screw IFC, may Both Grow and prosper at UT!

Oh, for E C, when has IFC become PHC types?

Remember, it is not the name of the Fraternity, but the people who make it up and are Members

Oh for some, I would be on The LXA and TKE Threads than some of the others!

LX Z # 1
Alumni