GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,688
1 members and 2,687 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb how do i start greek life on my own campus

Please help!!!
I am trying to get some information on how to start greek life at my school, the University of New England in Maine.
How do I start? How do we pick what our name is?? I would love any suggestions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-07-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
Do you have any other greek orgs on your school? If not then you get to start all of the traditions. I would look into your schools Student Life Office on how they want you to start a new student org. Then you nee to figure out if you want ot join a National organization. If you do you can contact them and they help you out with requirements on how to become chartered. I would recomend that way, becuase then you have support form a larger organization that can help direct you. But that is an argument that you could search for in other forums. Look for local v. National.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'll wholeheartedly agree with Pi Kap here.

First off, you need to feel out your Student Life Office. If they're interested in having Greek Life on the campus then you could win a great ally right there. If you go behind their backs you'll be fighting an uphill battle later on.

Look into national organizations though. Our expansion teams have done this a million times and really have the formula for success down pat.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-07-2002, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Big sisters- I want to go to SUNY in Purchase NY- but they have no greek life at all. They feel that fraternities and sororities would run the show and they don't want that superficial jock leadership on they're campus- they don't want anyone to feel discouraged by 'popular' people to express they're creativity. I really want this school so if i went and started my own greek life do you think the Student Life offices would be against me? I think greek orgs are healthy ways to meet ppl and to have sumthing to fall back on, but they don't see it that way- HELP (give me lots of info)
Old 07-07-2002, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
If the school is in any way publicly funded by the government they need to allow you on campus. According to Higher Education Act of 1965 and amended in 1998 Title 1 section 112 they cannot keep you from excercising your right to assemble and speak. Those are Amendments 1 and 14 in the Constitution. Just look for it on Google and it will come up. Try HR 6.

Last edited by Pi Kapp 142; 07-07-2002 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

That's great in THEORY but in practice there are lots of schools that ban Greek life. That doesn't mean that every campus that doesn't have Greeks bans them; some just never got a system started. If the school has explicitly taken a stand against Greeks, however, they still cannot stop you from forming an off-campus GLO. You just won't get school recognition or support, which is more serious than it may sound.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Simple!

Get a group of like thinking People together and start and Organization!

It is a lot of work but if you are serious then you may make it!

Are there others on your campus?

If so then you have a step up to getting recognized!

Dont try then you dont know!

Try and see, you may surprise yourself, I did!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Actually to elaborate on what Fuzziealum said your school doesn't HAVE to recognize you.

There is a constitutional right of association.

Pesky thing gets in the way of our benevolent administrators sometimes.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-09-2002, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forito Baroulko
Big sisters- I want to go to SUNY in Purchase NY- but they have no greek life at all. They feel that fraternities and sororities would run the show and they don't want that superficial jock leadership on they're campus- they don't want anyone to feel discouraged by 'popular' people to express they're creativity. I really want this school so if i went and started my own greek life do you think the Student Life offices would be against me? I think greek orgs are healthy ways to meet ppl and to have sumthing to fall back on, but they don't see it that way- HELP (give me lots of info)
Forito,

If you really want to attend SUNY in Purchase, NY, then I say go for it. However, I think you should go in with the realization that your desire for Greek Life may never come to fruition. When an administration is against Greek Life, it makes it very difficult to organize a GLO on campus.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just want you to realize that if you attempt to start a Greek organization on a campus that has an anti-Greek sentiment, then you're going to face a lot of problems. If you work hard, you may be able to overcome them, but it's important that you know the difficulties going in. Starting a new GLO is a tough process on a Greek-friendly campus. I can only imagine how hard it would be on an anti-Greek one. Good luck to you, though! The results of determination and hard work can be pleasantly surprising at times.