GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,480
1 members and 2,479 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

IFC rules

We have recently recieved a memo at our school telling us not to use the word "Rush/Rushee"anymore but instead to use "recruit/recruitment" or diciplanary actions will be taken. My question simpily is... Can they do that?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze313 View Post
We have recently recieved a memo at our school telling us not to use the word "Rush/Rushee"anymore but instead to use "recruit/recruitment" or diciplanary actions will be taken. My question simpily is... Can they do that?
In my opinion, the school should not be able to dictate the terminology that is used. Many NIC/IFC fraternities' IHQs use "rush/rushee" (as well as "recruit/recruitment") as part of the fraternity's *official* terminology. And other terminology that some folk feel should not be used - like pledge, pledging etc. If your fraternity happens to be one of those NIC/IFC that *officially* uses rush/rushee, then I would get in contact with someone from HQ and ask them to fax or email you an official statement regarding your chapter's *correct* use of your fraternity terminology.

So how is your school going to monitor this? Are they talking about in print, verbally, or both? Have they said how they intend to discipline someone for letting slip "rush". Especially since that might be the *correct* terminology for their fraternity. Nor have they ever called rush anything but rush.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd also check with your HQ, but I don't see why it matters what word you call it.

The bottom line is recruitment is year round and rush is the time frame your school gives you to hand out bids. As long as your brothers know the difference, it shouldn't matter.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPhiPsi View Post
I'd also check with your HQ, but I don't see why it matters what word you call it.

The bottom line is recruitment is year round and rush is the time frame your school gives you to hand out bids.
I agree. Recruitment is (should be) year round. And personally, I have no issue with either terminology being used. Especially since rush - as I've always heard it used - is a set time period. As in Summer Rush, Fall Rush, and Spring Rush.

With respect to the IFC/NIC rush v. recruitment debate, this sums up my view. From the University of Rochester Fraternity President’s Council: Recruitment Presentation to the Management Committee.

Recruitment vs. Rush

1) Recruitment: System under which [IFC] as a whole as well as individual chapters can put their name out on campus to possibly attract the interest of potential new members.

2) Rush: Formal, orchestrated period during which individual people come to specific chapters to which they have an interest in joining, and at the same time, the specific chapters decide on whom is the best match for the chapter and to whom it would like to extend an offer (Bid) to become a new member of the chapter.

Quote:
As long as your brothers know the difference, it shouldn't matter.
Again, I agree. However, my issue is with a campus IFC that feels it is important to monitor the use of rush or rushee. And if necessary, take disciplinary actions for any "violation" as it were. That just seems way too extreme. Especially when the terms may be part of the fraternity's lexicon.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What school do you go to. I am the IFC Recruitment Chair at the University of Oregon. I hate using the words recruit and recruitment, I would much rather use rush/ rushee. Recruitment just makes it seems like they are joining the army or something. The IFC can pretty much do whatever they want to though. If you dont like you should run for a position on it next year.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDU View Post
What school do you go to. I am the IFC Recruitment Chair at the University of Oregon. I hate using the words recruit and recruitment, I would much rather use rush/ rushee. Recruitment just makes it seems like they are joining the army or something. The IFC can pretty much do whatever they want to though. If you dont like you should run for a position on it next year.
Freeze 313 has only posted on GC twice, and the last time (the post starting this thread) was last July. I doubt you'll get an answer from him, but his profile says he's in Oklahoma.