GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 767
0 members and 767 guests
No Members online

Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Damn. If I ever get married, I was intending on asking the H&A to be my bridesmaids. I would have paid for your beer and everything.

In keeping with the actual thread, I've never been a bridesmaid.
I'm IN! I am a professional wedding party member.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Damn. If I ever get married, I was intending on asking the H&A to be my bridesmaids. I would have paid for your beer and everything.

I will totally go against my morals if free beer is involved, as long as it's good beer and not like Coors or some shit.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:

Beer? No grateful deads?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm engaged now =) I'll be having 4 bridesmaids. I was going to have 5, but one of my navy friends will be on deployment in October. Our guest list is just shy of 200 people.

My bridesmaids are buying their own dresses (Anfred Angelo, coblat blue, any dress style they want) also any shoe style they want. I will be paying for their hair and makeup.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
OMG, I bet you like have a really nice rock too!!!!!111

Um, if you pay attention to KSUViolet's post - she asked what you were doing if you were engaged, or what you had done if you were married, so I'm a little confused as to where your snarkiness for this post is coming from. After all, all I did was answer her questions.

***edit****oh shame, you deleted it.

Last edited by amanda6035; 02-26-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The Conservinator keeps hinting, but I just won't say yes until I know that Ann Coulter, Zippy Zamboni, Harry Baals, and Dale Terry all have the date free.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 PM

I read this book on my vacation to Cuba (yes, it's legal for me to go there) and I was LMAO:

2 different covers for 2 different countries...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 PM

I've been pretty lucky with the weddings I've been in (5 total). I've never been asked to wear a dress that I would rather slit my wrists than be seen in. Like the big pink one on that book cover.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-27-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
i have been in 7 weddings. yeah. so....now that i am finally the bride, i've just taken things that i liked/appreciated about my bridesmaid experiences and placed them to use for my 7 bmaids. and yeah, 7 is a lot....huge bridal party....but they are each very special to me and could not have been done without! technically i have 8, though, as my fiance made my best guy friend one of his groomsmen. yay!

they each picked out their own dress. they are all blue, long, alfred angelo, but they picked out what looked best on them. plus, being 7 of them....i didn't want them to look like cookie-cutters. overload! so, they are doing their dress thing, wearing whatever shoes, jewelry they like, and fixing their hair what looks best on them. i want them to feel comfortable as i know it's a long day for everyone. my gift to them is a huge monogrammed bag with goodies to pamper.

i struggled with how many, too. honestly, i coulda put 10 people up there with me.....but there had to be a cut-off. yes, i have dear wonderful friends....and you do, too....so figure out who you NEED. who will calm you, make you laugh, be your errand person, etc. i needed all these girls with me.....high maintenance, ok? if you want a lot or just a few, it's your day and you can do what you want.

My Facebook
Old 02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
I personally haven't been in a lot of weddings as a bridesmaid, but I have a lot of friends who have gotten married in the past 3-4 years and I know how they asked people to do things. I also worked for a catering company for a long time and worked hundreds of weddings so I saw many different things (and heard many bridesmaids complaining out of ear shot of the bride!).

Despite not being engaged (and not even having a boyfriend at this point) I still know what I 'want' when I get married. I know which 4 friends I'd like to ask (each from a different point in life, although most of them have met each other at least once by now) and that leaves room for the groom to tell me which sister he wants in the wedding party (I have older half-siblings who are all married and I love them, but don't want them in the wedding party).
I although have a thing for uniform dress--but I'm not super picky. Yes, I will be that bridesmaid who sits with her MOH and picks out dresses to show everyone. Fortunately, I'm not a 'skinny Minnie' and neither are most of my potential bridesmaids and the MOH (only one of them is really that much smaller than I am and she's still a 'normal' size) so they don't have to worry about that. But besides having the same dress (and picking the color of shoe I'd like them to wear) I don't care what their shoes, hair, makeup, etc. look like. I want them to be comfortable dancing.

I'm also fortunate enough to be from a large city (Chicago) that's usually quite reasonably priced to get to on any airline. The girl who will be my MOH still lives in Chicago and the other 3 all live in bigger cities at the moment (Boston, New York/New Jersey area, and St. Louis). Even if any of them move to smaller places, getting to Chicago is still easy. That's really something to think about--if you're from a large city, don't go have the wedding in the teeny town you went to college in or some farm in the middle of nowhere. I had one friend who was from DC but had her wedding in Virginia in a place near hotels but only accessible from the DC airports--about 2-3 hours away! Beautiful place, expensive to get to! (Flight to DC plus car rental and hotel--and we were over 21 but under 25 so it was an extra $25 a day!). If she had done it in DC things would've been more accessible and better on everyone's budget (especially the bridesmaids who also had dresses and shoes to pay for! She paid for hair/makeup--but that really wasn't a lot in the grand scheme of things). Even if it were in Alexandria it would've been a lot easier to get to and less expensive. So yeah, please think about location and your friends when you're inviting them (and ESPECIALLY if they're in the wedding party!).
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kathy View Post
In terms of paying, I think most women when they agree to being a BM think they will have to pay for the dress, accessories and alterations. I personally think if a bride makes all of them get their hair and make-up done the same, she shouldpay for that. I also think it's ridiculous to expect everyone to get Vera Wang bridesmaid dresses and Jimmy Choo shoes.
Agree here. I am fine with (and except to) pay for my dress and stuff when someone asks me to be in their wedding. However, I do not plan to send tons of money on a dress and shoes I will never wear again. I had this happen for a wedding I was in, and then I couldn't be in my other close friend's (became engaged a few months later) wedding.

As for the bridesmaid (not engaged, yet) situation... I will be forced with 6 as a minimum. I have two brothers, he has three, and then his best friend. A las only one sister in the group.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You know we're all in.

I have been a bridesmaid twice, once when I was 3, and at my brother's wedding. I got kicked out my sister's wedding party! Go me!

Now I know you all want to hear the eviction story so let me tell away. I'm really not bitter, I think this story is hilarious.
My sister got engaged and became a bridezilla. Not long after she got the rock, we went up to David's Bridal, she found a beautiful dress, decided it was the one and that was it. The woman at the store told her not to look anymore because she'd just keep finding more and more dresses she liked.
Well, she kept looking anyway, and found two more dresses she wanted. At this point it was getting out of hand...I travelled with her to go see dress 3, the one she wore at her wedding (thank god!) but I told her what everyone else was thinking-you cannot have three dresses, you already have a dress, you need to stick with the one you have.

She went crying crocodile tears to my mother, said how mean I was (!) and that I wasn't a bridesmaid anymore. Suited me fine, less effort for me.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
You know we're all in.
Damn, we have perps!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
Damn, we have perps!
Seriously, wtf.

I'm having six bridesmaids (two biological sisters, three sorority sisters and a high school friend) and they all paid for their own dresses. I told them to just wear shoes and jewelry they already own and to do their own hair.

And to the person complaining about having the wedding outside of DC - it is SO EXPENSIVE to hold an event in DC. Most people I know who get married around here do it outside of the city. Makes me glad to be getting married in Ohio (even though I hate that place with a passion) - it's literally half the price I would pay here for the same thing.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
I was the one complaining about having the wedding in DC...and also I think I made a point of saying that something close and accessible (like Alexandria) was a totally fine and viable option...there are also closer places in Fairfax County and in Maryland that are great too. And not terribly expensive. I realize DC proper is expensive. But no offense, this girl could've afforded that!
What I was really complaining about was the absurdity of doing the wedding 3 hours from DC in an inaccessible place (only accessible by car--a cab ride would've cost millions!) where the closest airports are in the DC area. Meaning that all of us from out of town had to pay for rental cars. None of us were 25 at the time (so add to that $25 extra dollars per day per driver) and even more for 2 of us to be able to drive the car. The 3 of us that shared our car ended up paying for only 1 of us to be a driver and so she got stuck driving. There were about 20-30 of us who went to college with this girl who came from out of town and all of us had to pay for freaking rental cars and extra drivers. I think for those 3 days, the 3 of us who shared the car spent at least $150 a piece. And we got the cheapest car we could. I think a little more. Add to that a hotel room and air fare and oh yeah, a gift...I spent nearly $600 to attend this wedding. And I wasn't even in the bridal party! I was in school at the time (as were a lot of us) and had just come off of a year of Americorps service...so I didn't have a lot of cash.
This girl was a good college friend and I wanted to go--but she also made a point of telling us that this place wasn't an expensive place to be as a guest since the rooms were 'reasonable' and car rental wasn't too bad. Yeah right. What's her idea of expensive? My friend in the bridal party spent at least $800 on this wedding (I think a little more) since she had to pay for a dress and shoes. I'm sorry--when most of your friends are in grad school or don't have a lot of money, making your wedding in a place where they would spend this much on a wedding is ridiculous. I know a few people who didn't go because it was too cost-prohibitive. One friend, after saying she'd come, once she saw how much she'd have to spend told the bride that she was sorry but it just wasn't financially possible with grad school was told by the bride "this really isn't expensive at all--and you got a scholarship for grad school--don't you have savings or something?". Needless to say they aren't friends anymore. The friend in grad school had a scholarship, yes, but it didn't cover everything and she was working a job to pay for things.
Many friends (including the bride from this wedding) went to a wedding for another friend from DC about 6 months later. It was in Potomac, Maryland. I spent the same amount of time in the area for her wedding, spent the same amount on a gift, and took a cab with friends both ways to the hotel (where the wedding was also held). How much did we spend? About half of the other wedding. I was a bridesmaid in this wedding--and I spend $450 total for everything including my dress and shoes. I remember bride from wedding #1 making a comment that more people from college seemed to be at this wedding. No one had the heart to look over and say "Look honey, 2 of us could come here for the price of 1 person going to yours!"