GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 678
3 members and 675 guests
LarryByday

Old 12-30-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Looking for some advice!!

umm thanks for the help :\

Last edited by St3ph888; 12-30-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by St3ph888 View Post
Hi everyone!

Okay so perhaps it's a bit soon to begin thinking about fall rushing for 2007 - but I have a couple questions, and if anyone has feedback feel free to PM me or just leave a reply here!! thanks!

A little background info: this year I was a freshman and I was completely excited about rushing, long story short I got cut from all but my bottom 2 choices.. Gave one a try, it totally wasn't the one for me, and dropped before initiation. So I can't do spring informal - I have to wait until next fall. So I tried to work on my grades, as of now after 1st semester i have a 3.23 ( I'm hoping to raise it with next semester) Okay so I go to a mid-sized university in the mid-west. less than 10% of people are involved in greek life, and there are only 6 PHC sororities. ( If you really must know what school PM me, but I think I've given you a pretty good idea)

Okay now for my questions!

1. Last time I didn't have any REC's, and I was thinking this time I really should get some REC's - How do I go about getting some REC's? I know someone who was my manager at the pool last summer who was a member of one of the sororities that my school has, but she went to a different school. So how do I ask someone to do one for me? I really want to get rec's for at least my top 3 from last year, is that overkill? oh yeah, and is there any place here on GC that I can go to find someone willing to do a REC for me?

2. How much do you think it will hurt me that I de-pledged? and is it something I should bring up? or should I only talk about it if they ask me? Also what should I say about my reasons to de-pledge? Should I go into details?

3. I'm really nervous about going to the house I depledged, I mean the girls there were really nice, but It just wasn't the one for me! I don't want to be mean or rude to these girls, because they were all really nice to me, but I mean it's totally going to be pretty awkward.. What if they ask me questions like why did you depledge etc. or what do i do if they are completely mean to me? which I totally doubt, but you never know...

4. Last year during rush, I asked a TON of questions, and I thought this would be a good thing, but now i'm feeling like it may have hurt me, It wasn't like anyone had to pull teeth to get me to talk to them, but I'm feeling like it may have hurt me, so do you think that a girl going through rush should let the sorority member do most of the question asking?

5. If anyone else has any other advice for me i would LOVE to hear it!!

Thanks everyone!!
I think the best advice you are going to get is:

Use the search button, conveniently located at the top of your screen.

Then, if you still have questions, people will be more likely to respond.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3ph888 View Post

1. Last time I didn't have any REC's, and I was thinking this time I really should get some REC's - How do I go about getting some REC's? I know someone who was my manager at the pool last summer who was a member of one of the sororities that my school has, but she went to a different school. So how do I ask someone to do one for me? I really want to get rec's for at least my top 3 from last year, is that overkill? oh yeah, and is there any place here on GC that I can go to find someone willing to do a REC for me?

Ditto everything DBB said.

Regarding recs, I'm going to be blunt by saying this, but I absolute hate it when PNMs come on GC thinking they'll find someone who will write them a rec. I know that there are some GCers who are actually willing to do so...why, I don't know -- because I can't imagine writing one for someone I don't even know in real life. Slapping my name and my word is a big deal, and I won't even take that risk in doing so for someone I don't know.

My advice -- get out there and put forth effort in finding alumnae you can meet who will possibly write recs for you. Go to www.npcwomen.org search for the contact info of the Alumnae Panhellenic in your area and take it from there. Since you won't be rushing till the Fall, you have some time, but I'd get on it soon.

Recs don't have to be written by alums of your school. As long as they're a member of the sorority, they can write you a rec.

But again, please do a search of this forum. You'll be surprised that there are many women in the same boat as you and have had their questions already answered over and over again. Maybe that's why no one's responded so far.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Unregistered-

Oh noez! We ran her off!

LOL @ DBB quoting the original post.