GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,656
1 members and 1,655 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-08-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Delta_theta Send a message via AIM to Delta_theta
Traditions.

What sort of traditions are out there that are of a more serious nature? Things that your chapter does that are classy/nice? be it awards, or an annual walk around town seeing this history of your house(we've had more than 5 different phsyical houses since the start of our chapters existance in 1891).

Most of the traditions we have like that involve our graduating actives(as I put in the last post), or our Candidates.
With our candidates, we take a history walk, and have something called Mecca(which I can kind of explain in PM for those that are interested, and active in Sigma Nu). We have a monthy bbq, and are restarting up an Annual smoker(which is another name for a BBQ) in which all the faculy and admin. of the college are invited. We choose a guest of honor among them, and honor them at the BBQ this year's smoker is being moved to the fall, and we are honoring our college's new president.

those are the main ones I remember right now. We have many other traditions of course, but they are smaller or of a less serious nature.

M.
Delta Theta 1150
Knox College
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Up til now we've really had no traditions that stuck (although 2 months into being a chapter that's sometimes hard to tell )

We do have a place reserved at the Bennigans accross the street from the University where we go eat/drink after meetings -- and have ever since the early days of being a colony.

We always stand when a lady enters the room (even if we're just lounging around the fraternity house or drinking at a party).

We try to portray ourselves as gentlemen (not always successfully but we get a gold star for effort).

Other than that, I'll letcha know in another 4 years or so. Don' t they say it takes 4 years to make a tradition?

LHT
Kevin
MT #5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-10-2002, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

We always stand when a lady enters the room (even if we're just lounging around the fraternity house or drinking at a party).

LHT
Kevin
MT #5
University of Central Oklahoma
This is so awesome that you guys do that!! Sigma Nu's are the best!!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Freshjive31
We have something we do called "Sigma Nu Island".
I can't say much about it because any one can read this post, but if you want to know more just e-mail me at freshjive31@hotmail.com. It was just about the most memorable experience of pledgeship.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

one of our funny traditions is at our bawlery brawl formal, we give out an award called the whale award, it goes to the brother who has slept with worst girl all year....quit a laugh

E-1366

Epsilon Chapter
Bethany College, WV
Old 06-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
one of our funny traditions is at our bawlery brawl formal, we give out an award called the whale award, it goes to the brother who has slept with worst girl all year....quit a laugh
That'd be hilarious! I don't know if the guy who I KNOW would win this would ever forgive us for making it public though. It's amazing how much effect a little beer can have on someone's standards.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-06-2002, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of our traditions are,

Every Candidate class visits the locations of our old fraternity houses and takes a picture of themselves in front of them.

Little Bro's make their big brothers a Badge, and big brothers buy their little brothers their first set of letters.

We all wear letters to school on every monday.

On the 26th of every month we have a house dinner at some buffet place and buy dinner for the brother who has done the most for the chapter that month. Our chapter was founded on May 26, 1951, thus the 26th.

Candidates don't wear letters until they're initiated.

We have a bottle passing whenever there is a Pinning, engagement, or Bun in the oven.

Every meeting is Formal.

there are a bunch more...

Awards:

Harpoon Award (an actual Harpoon), is given to the brother who conquers the largest female in a semester.

Alpo Award (dog dish with a can of alpo glued to the bottom), given to the brother who goes out with the ugliest girl in a semester.

LHT

Last edited by sigmanuzk; 07-06-2002 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:40 AM
wreckingcrew

Let's see...

Well, we have something called Tuesday Night Quarters. Basically, we all get together at someone's house every Tuesday night just to chill, and play a little Quarters. If you are interested in the game itself, i'll be glad to respond to a PM about it.

We also have something known as the BAJOW <Big Ass Jug of Wine>, i believe it may have been introduced to some of y'all before. Basically, if you and some of your bros are around just chilling, you go get a jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria, and when i say Jug i mean the big gallon sized one. Then, you pass it around and everyone (who is over 21) drinks it till they're done. Most of the time, it's a leisurely swilling of bad wine, although sometimes it can turn ugly. Whoever gets the last drop gets to name it, traditionally after a brother's mother.

Now to the more gentlemanly stuff,

If a female enters the chapter room, we announce them and all clap and stand respectfully until after she leaves.

At the end of every social event, we gather in a big circle, arms locked around shoulders, with only brothers in the circle and sing 'Freebird' by Lynard Skynard. This is in tribute to one of our brothers who passed away. It's a great way to end any event and show our unity.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The only real tradition that I know of right now, since we are a colony, is that we have an award called the Scotis Cup. A combination of two of our members nicknames (Scooter and Jayotis). Basically the award is given out at our Spring Formal to the member of the fraternity who makes the biggest idiot out of himself throughout the year. There was talk of turning the balloting into a Heisman Trophy balloting format. Not sure, but it makes for a good laugh of an acceptance speech.