GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,200
0 members and 2,200 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2002, 06:23 AM
GreekChat Member

snap bidding

I'm a new advisor on a campus that hasn't used snap bidding in the past but will this year. The only thing I'm unclear about is how PNMs are notified of their bids once chapters decide to issue them, and how are they accepted?

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2002, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

My advice to you is to do a search. There have been a few really good threads about snap bidding
Old 06-26-2002, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
The women who can get snap bids are ones who didn't get a bid through the normal process of recruitment. After we bid match, we take all of the women who didn't match and offer them to all of the chapters who didn't make quota for snap bidding. Once we have the decisions from the sororities on snap bidding, the Rho Chis contact the women in their Rho Chi groups who didn't get bids, either through recruitment or snap bidding to let them know. The ones who didn't get a bid through recruitment, but were offered a bid in snap bidding are told this, and allowed to respond. If she accepts the snap bid, she gets the bid and is added with the rest of the women who have bids. She receives her bid with all of the other women who got bids through normal recruitment.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

At my university I believe the actual sorority called the rushee and offered the bid but this was the early 90's and with all of the changes in rush rules the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if this has changed.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Our campus does a lot of COBing and Snap bidding.
The way it works for snap bid is that a list goes on out bid night of all the girls who a) dropped out of rush for some reason (a lot of girls do, for class reasons, family emergencies, etc.) b) got cross cut somehow c) just didn't go anywhere.
Usually starting at 10PM bid night the sororities can begin contact with them (off limits until then). Some people call, but our house calls and goes to their dorm with some small gifts, etc. with a small group of sisters.
We get excellent results from this. Sometimes quota just doesn't work right (especially on our campus) or girls get their hearts set on a house then when they get cut they drop out. This changes a lot of girls minds and seems to work VERY well at our campus. I wish i knew the number last year that were snapped or COBed. In our fall pledge class of 23, 11 or 12 were snap/COBed. I think every single house but one did this. Which worked great because it got numbers up for everyone.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If you contact your area NPC advisor (and reference the NPC Green Book), you can get clear instructions on how to handle snap bids.

Also, like someone else mentioned, search this forum. The topic has been discussed several times.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer the original question, PNM's are NOT notified. Snap bidding is done by Panhel right after the bid lists are completed. A snap bid looks and acts like and should be given at the same time as a regular bid. No one but the people who are doing bid matching should know who is given a snap bid.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

That isnt how we do snap bidding.
As soon as the bid matching is done and bid lists are given out we are offically able to snap bid. Because my school has a high drop out rate (and you can snap bid those women too) wehave women already out side of rush drop out's doors (of women that we want). There are usually 2-3 sisters with a bid and a bid day shirt and they extend the bid to the girl and if she accepts they bring her to the bid day party. Some girls dont accept, because they are unsure, but we bring them and 9 times out of 10 they accept later.
After the bid lists and no match lists are brought back by advisors we send teams out to meet women that we would like to snap bid.
But we do it ourselves, panhellenic doesn't help at all except to give us the withdraw and no match lists. Our membership person then tells us who qualifies for a bid and they are the ones we give them too. Typically 15 women (we have a high drop out rate remember).

Facebook
Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, now you guys are making me crazy!

I thought that a snap bid was what Kappastargirl said:

Quote:
To answer the original question, PNM's are NOT notified. Snap bidding is done by Panhel right after the bid lists are completed. A snap bid looks and acts like and should be given at the same time as a regular bid. No one but the people who are doing bid matching should know who is given a snap bid.
And what ilovemyglo said was considered COB.

Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright this is what I found.

Snap Bidding
Chapters, which do not pledge quota may offer bids to women who, have participated in the membership recruitment process through "Snap Bidding". The purpose of "Snap Bidding" is to allow a chapter to extend an invitation to membership prior to the time when bids are extended.

(so you would NOT know if you received a snap bid unless someone told you)

COB
Chapters, which do not pledge quota or pledged quota but did not reach Total (55), may take additional pledges through Continuous Open Bidding. Continuous Open Bidding (COB) may begin as soon as bids have been extended. The purpose of COB is to provide maximum opportunities for membership to the greatest number possible. Any matriculated, unaffiliated woman student is eligible for COB, without prior participation in the formal membership recruitment period.

Last edited by AOX81; 06-26-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Not when I was at school. Panhell did not help. We did not traditionally have COB at my school.

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl
Old 06-27-2002, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, at my school, girls that were snap bidded weren't told "Hey we are giving you a bid" as a matter of fact some girls never have known that they were snap bidded, they thought that was how everyone got their bids. You just let the woman know that she has been invited to join your sisterhood. Even with that definition given for snap bidding, the chapter could still do it. Snap Bidding

Chapters, which do not pledge quota may offer bids to women who, have participated in the membership recruitment process through "Snap Bidding". The purpose of "Snap Bidding" is to allow a chapter to extend an invitation to membership prior to the time when bids are extended.

Because women that did not necessarily COMPLETE formal recruitment (i.e. dropped out after 2nd round, didn't sign a pref card) can be snap bidded, it isn't COB. You have to have participated in formal recruitment at least some!!! So, that isn't COB.

Facebook
Old 06-27-2002, 10:20 AM

At my school, you could figure out pretty easily if you'd gotten a snap bid. You could go to a maximum of 2 pref parties and you were allowed to list only sororities whose pref parties you'd attended on your pref card, and sororities listed only women who attended their pref parties on their bid lists. So if you preffed at A and B and got a bid from C, it was plainly a snap bid. I think rho chi's explained it so the PNM's weren't thinking "where the heck did this random bid come from..." And since the sorority who offered you the snap bid wasn't listed on your pref card, you were not bound for a year.

Sororities at my school didn't do a lot of snap bidding - we tended to go the COB route - so I may not have my facts 100% straight
Old 06-27-2002, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, AGD, Phi Mu and Sigma Kappa are the only ones that snap bid (Last year SK gave a girl a bid the night before bid day which was a huge infraction!!!). AOPi and ADPi say that they would rather wait and do spring recruitment (so they are not always at total or get quota!). I don't know why, it isn't like other chapters care how you bid a girl, if she is a sister, she was obviously wanted there.

Facebook
Old 06-27-2002, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At our school, nobody knows if you were a snap bid or you got a bid through regular bid matching processes, and the only way you'd know is if the PNM or chapter says something.