GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,539
2 members and 1,537 guests
naraht

Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I know which fraternity is right for me?

I'm still in high school at the moment but here lately I've been interested in Greek Life and have really been considering rushing a fraternity. My only dilemma is I have no idea which ones to rush, is it the kind of thing where you just rush a lot in order to find the right one or how does that work? Thanks guys.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Focus on graduation, then worry about rush.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Focus on graduation, then worry about rush.

This.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

This is one of those things that will only make sense once you've already graduated and enrolled in college. You'll know the answer when you actually go rush. Until then, follow the advice of the above posters.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Graduation will come soon enough. Once you're in college, this is a fair question to have. But these are some things you should look for.

1. What is the GPA of the Chapter? You're going to college (hopefully) to get a degree. Make sure that a the fraternity you want to join can help you in that respect. What kind of scholarship programs do they have?

2. Each fraternity stands for certain values. Some overlap, but most boil down to gentleman behavior and honesty. But make sure that their values match up with yours.

3.See how they are viewed on campus. If people have only negative opinions of the Chapter then it might end up being a bad experience with you.

4. Check their Chapter and national website or more information.

5. Most importantly, make sure you fit in with the guys who are in the Chapter. If you like playing sports, but most of the guys in the fraternity enjoy staying in a playing video games instead, chances are you won't have a great time.

Other things to ask involve hazing, philanthropy, time commitment and accolades received. Just keep an open mind and good luck finding something that fits with you.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's what will likely happen:

1. You'll rush.
2. You'll get invited to a bunch of parties.
3. You'll either feel that the brothers you meet at the parties are A. Like you, and you enjoy their company. B. Not like you, and you don't enjoy their company.
4. You get invited to bid night of a fraternity (Or fraternities). Or you don't get invited to bid night of a fraternity.
5. You select to pledge the fraternity (Or fraternities) you received a bid from. Or you don't select to pledge the fraternity.

More times than not, the fraternity chooses the man. And then the man chooses the fraternity.