GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,512
1 members and 1,511 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
33girl -I totally agree. The big complaint among UA boosters who also happen (in large numbers) to be Greek, is that the UA kind of dismisses the Greek system as a small pimple on the....well you get the picture.

Guys would love another crop of "in the accepted circle" girls. Sure, they get hung up on tiers just like a lot of people, but girls are girls and you can't beat a sorority girl!! Guys rush is formal, by the way, and takes place after the girls. From all accounts, it is a crazy drunken experience that occurs under the facade of organized invites and rounds.
At least the IFC chapters have it right.

Kidding aside, while Arkansas' IFC chapters may have a more structured formal rush week, there are little to no rules regarding contacting rushees prior to the formal rush. I am pretty sure most (all?) chapters still have summer rush events and informal parties.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavycutchip View Post
Hoping its not wishful thinking, but I am hoping that one of the reasons why 3 of those NPC groups didn't pursue re-colonization at Arkansas is because they already have large colonizations planned for this year (Phi Mu at Kentucky, Theta at Oregon, and DG at Alabama). I guess I am the eternal optimist that NPC groups might want to come along soon, and get the opportunity to create a great chapter with some wonderful women who go to school at Arkansas
If I may address the bolded. This is a good example of a campus with good panhellenic relations. Both Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Alpha Theta are allowing Phi Mu to host their recruitment events at their house. To be clear, Phi Mu's colonization recruitment happens after formal recruitment.

I would also like to note that when Alpha Phi colonized at UK a few years back, each new Alpha Phi "pledge" received a "Panhellenic Big Sister". The "Big Sister" was a member from one of the other UK chapters who was there to help give them the “UK experience” of being a pledge at UK. As in giving them gift bags, setting up mixers, making sure they were included in all Greek community events etc.

Finally, when Alpha Phi went before the Lexington zoning board to request land next to campus be rezoned to allow for a larger house, the UK Administration was supportive as well as the UK Greek Community at large.

Having the campus panhellenic (and campus administration) help a new colony, in turns helps to make the colonization successful. And strengthens the whole Greek community.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
A chapter is not going to be competitive (meaning they will not make quota) on that kind of campus without a house. That is a big hang up with any group considering expansion. Even if you had three chapters without houses ----

It is always hard to find available suitable land. It needs to be close to where the other houses are and big enough to build a comparable house to be competitive.
Also, at ANY competitive campus - for a new chapter to succeed, it must have many women (as in, 2/3 or so) who choose to join it EVEN IF THEY COULD JOIN ANY OTHER GROUP ON CAMPUS. It can't be all the "leftovers" who got cut. That's why most colonizations at schools like this are publicized far in advance.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

And no matter how many girls go bidless, many will not take THAT chapter, regardless. And that's the thing. A colony isn't necessarily going to become THAT chapter, but apparently there are, what, 18 NPC chapters who are worried they would be. The revenue would be there if they could more or less guarantee the new member classes to justify even a very expensive expansion (say that 3 times fast) but not if they're afraid they're going to crash and burn within 5 years.

Undoubtedly they'd come on campus with a huge bang, and could probably get 200+ new members if they wanted to. But what happens 2 years later when their members start graduating out? That's a pretty expensive crystal ball, if you know what I'm saying!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM

A Little Rock area Sigma alumna forwarded me this article today:

Sorority Recrutment Sets Record at Arkansas

Lakers Nation.