GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,463
1 members and 2,462 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership Review

my chapter is going to be participating in a membership review in the next couple of days and I am pretty nervous as I don't know what to expect and was wondering if anyone that has participated in a membership review that has passed the interview had any tips of how to act or what to say etc. I understand that different chapters are faced with reviews for different reasons. I guess during our review they are going to be considering whether we passed our drug test, made grades, and if we are up to date on our finanacial dues. Unfortunately for me I am not sure if i will pass my drug test its gonna be 50/50 and i will be on the fence between the pass/fail. I havent made grades either but i am really good about paying my dues on time. We are given an oppurtunity to plead our case and back ourselves up. Im just nervous as this is nationals and its a really big deal and Im not sure what to say or how to act. I personally believe honesty and sincerity go a long way and if one shows the willingness to change and turn shit around that they will appreciate that. So if anyone that has been through one of these has any tips that would be great because Im not ready to be kicked out. Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
my chapter is going to be participating in a membership review in the next couple of days and I am pretty nervous as I don't know what to expect and was wondering if anyone that has participated in a membership review that has passed the interview had any tips of how to act or what to say etc. I understand that different chapters are faced with reviews for different reasons. I guess during our review they are going to be considering whether we passed our drug test, made grades, and if we are up to date on our finanacial dues. Unfortunately for me I am not sure if i will pass my drug test its gonna be 50/50 and i will be on the fence between the pass/fail. I havent made grades either but i am really good about paying my dues on time. We are given an oppurtunity to plead our case and back ourselves up. Im just nervous as this is nationals and its a really big deal and Im not sure what to say or how to act. I personally believe honesty and sincerity go a long way and if one shows the willingness to change and turn shit around that they will appreciate that. So if anyone that has been through one of these has any tips that would be great because Im not ready to be kicked out. Thanks
The bold should tell you that we can't give you "advice" on this. You just need to be honest.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

So if you believe in honesty and sincerity, will you admit to drug use even if your test comes out clean?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
So if you believe in honesty and sincerity, will you admit to drug use even if your test comes out clean?
idk. thats a tough one. I feel like I should regardless
Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 PM

They are making you take a drug test? I've heard of everything you mentioned above for a membership review, but that is a new one for me.

I guess it wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility if they are trying to determine how wide spread the drug use/rumor is in the chapter.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

DER, you already know the answer in you heart. You want us to tell you everything will be all right, but we can't do that because we are not your sisters. It will be your sisters, even if they are from HQ, who determine if you stay or go. Ask yourself if you have been true to the promises you made, that is how they will judge you.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:25 PM

I think this is a guy, not a girl.

If a fraternity was wasting my and other brothers' money on drug tests, whether I indulged or not, I'd be outta there.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you're questioning how you're going to come out on the drug test, you can pick one up at Walgreen's or CVS for about $18. That said, I disagree with the above. If your chapter has a drug problem and it's affecting your membership intake and reputation, the drug testing is a pretty reasonable response. Drugs are too much of a liability, and once you let them get out of control, they can destroy your chapter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 01-29-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think this is a guy, not a girl.

If a fraternity was wasting my and other brothers' money on drug tests, whether I indulged or not, I'd be outta there.
Cosign what Kevin said. Also drug use is against the 9 basic expectations, which I believe is something most NIC fraternities abide by.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Yup. I'm betting most here are assuming the drug issue in the above chapter is marijuana. My experience is that some undergrads can handle it without it affecting their studies while other kids simply flunk out of school.

Also, we assume marijuana, but we could be talking about benzos, hydros, meth, etc. I actually had a young man as a witness in one of my cases about a year ago who was there to say he had smoked meth with the mother in the case (the opposing party). The kid was acting very odd and inappropriate. Turns out he was a member of one of the fraternities on the campus of the chapter I advise. Unsurprisingly, that chapter is and was performing in such a way that if they were a Sigma Nu chapter, they'd likely be shut down.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Unsurprisingly, that chapter is and was performing in such a way that if they were a Sigma Nu chapter, they'd likely be shut down.
Exactly. If they're all that tweaked, the chapter is probably a shitshow anyway. So why not just close it and be done with it, rather than tearing it apart with a membership review?

Because the chapter might be on a desirable campus and they know once they're off they'll never get back on?

Ah, thank you, alterof33girl! That answers the question.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactly. If they're all that tweaked, the chapter is probably a shitshow anyway. So why not just close it and be done with it, rather than tearing it apart with a membership review?

Because the chapter might be on a desirable campus and they know once they're off they'll never get back on?

That's exactly right. No one wants to lose a chapter on a valuable campus.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It might not be a chapter wide issue. We had some people using drugs in my chapter and the alumni did a membership review. It caused some issues for a couple of years, but now the chapter has definitely turned themselves around.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Not a valuable campus.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not a valuable campus.
I assume you know the OP's chapter...then if that's the case, just shut it down.

IMO membership reviews do nothing but destroy friendships and tear apart chapters and leave the equivalent of this guy behind to rebuild them: