GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,489
0 members and 1,489 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Skin care products

I'm looking for a moisturizer for my upper body. Everything I have tried makes me break out in little bumps on my arms and shoulders. I have tried a lot of the name brands, and nothing seems to work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hypo-allergenic body lotion? Preferably in the under-$15 price range, that I can use daily.

PS I already use Dove soap and sometimes liquid soap, but it doesn't soften my skin enough.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried Dove Deep Moisture body wash? It really does moisturize your skin, and it's non greasy. My younger sister uses it with good results, and she has the most sensitive skin of anyone I've ever met. And, if you're feeling like being cheap (like me), I've found that the Target knockoff works just as well.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if it's hypo-allergenic, and it doesn't fall in your price range (it's around $20 a bottle), but I really like Clinique's Deep Comfort body moisturizer. I generally use it in the winter when my skin is driest, then switch to an Aveeno moisturizer in the summer (just the basic Aveeno daily moisturizer).
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
Have you tried Dove Deep Moisture body wash? It really does moisturize your skin, and it's non greasy. My younger sister uses it with good results, and she has the most sensitive skin of anyone I've ever met. And, if you're feeling like being cheap (like me), I've found that the Target knockoff works just as well.
I have used that, along with a few other body washes. They also cause the bumps. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I don't know if it's hypo-allergenic, and it doesn't fall in your price range (it's around $20 a bottle), but I really like Clinique's Deep Comfort body moisturizer. I generally use it in the winter when my skin is driest, then switch to an Aveeno moisturizer in the summer (just the basic Aveeno daily moisturizer).
It is a bit above budget, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Not personal experience but Vaseline Hypo-allergenic lotion got really good reviews and isn't very expensive.

Biggest complaint looks like it doesn't absorb well for some people.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in a very dry climate (a desert, actually).

First thing: see a dermatologist, if you can. Those "little bumps" can be a symptom of something. Get it ruled out.

I spray a light body oil all over me when I'm finished showering, before I towel off. Neutrogena makes a sesame oil that isn't terribly expensive, and absorbs quickly. There are others, I'm sure. I let it absorb a little bit and then pat dry. It may not be hypoallergenic enough for you, so check the label - but it's Neutrogena & that's what they advertise (that their products are hypoallergenic).

Then I slather on lotion. I like AmLactin & get it at Costco; it's in your price range. It fits the hypoallergenic requirement. I let the lotion absorb and then make sure it's all rubbed in before I start dressing. This routine works & has kept me from dreaded alligator skin feet (endemic to AZ, sadly).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My routine is pretty much like AzTheta's - oil body spray (I think it's some kind of flower oil? I don't know) after the shower & then I use two lotions - this stuff by Vaseline and Palmer's Cocoa Butter Vitamin E lotion.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Mary Kay's visibly fit body lotion or hydration lotion?
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Cetaphil, if you haven't tried it yet. I have sensitive skin and use their whole line -- it's the only thing that doesn't make me bumpy, and it's cheap.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I live in a very dry climate (a desert, actually).

First thing: see a dermatologist, if you can. Those "little bumps" can be a symptom of something. Get it ruled out.
Thanks for mentioning that, but it only happens when I use lotion or shower gel. I actually get it on my legs too, but not as much.

To the person who suggested Cetaphil, I have used their cleanser (it works well) but the lotion was too light and evaporated quickly.

I did just buy the Vaseline "gentle" moisturizer (I forgot the name and it's upstairs) - it was the closest to "hypo allergenic" I could find.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, but it only happens when I use lotion or shower gel. I actually get it on my legs too, but not as much.

To the person who suggested Cetaphil, I have used their cleanser (it works well) but the lotion was too light and evaporated quickly.

I did just buy the Vaseline "gentle" moisturizer (I forgot the name and it's upstairs) - it was the closest to "hypo allergenic" I could find.
If you are getting the bumps after using lotion or shower gel you are most likely a bit allergic to those. In addition, a lot of people that have allergies get "bumps" on the back of arms. My allergist checks me for them each time I am in his office. I have found that regular body exfoiliation helps in addition to not skipping/forgetting to take my allergy medications. The Tea Tree Oil Body Wash from The Body Shop was really helpful for my mom.

It is good to see a dermatologist about those as stated earlier.

More information on those "bumps" can be found here:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...to-do-about-it
Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM

I've had a lot of luck with a line called Cera-ve. My dermotologist recommended it and I've been very pleased. I use both the cream and lotion, depending on skin needs. There's also a facial cleanser but I haven't tried that. Walgreens and Target both carry it.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
If you are getting the bumps after using lotion or shower gel you are most likely a bit allergic to those. In addition, a lot of people that have allergies get "bumps" on the back of arms. My allergist checks me for them each time I am in his office. I have found that regular body exfoiliation helps in addition to not skipping/forgetting to take my allergy medications. The Tea Tree Oil Body Wash from The Body Shop was really helpful for my mom.

It is good to see a dermatologist about those as stated earlier.

More information on those "bumps" can be found here:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...to-do-about-it

Oh my gosh - thank you for this link! I was on accutane last year - From June until this past January, and while my face is phenomenal now, I notice these bumps on my upper arms alot more than I used to. I'm not sure if the accutane affected my arms some how, and short of going back to the derm, I have tried exfoliating and scrubbing and lotions with no luck.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I ditto the Cetaphil. Also, what about Eucerin's Aquaphor? My son has severe eczema, and Cetaphil, Aquaphor and Johnson & Johnson's yellow baby wash are the only things that dont make him break out in a scaley rash. I also only wash his clothes in All Hypoallergenic laundry detergent.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a huge fan of philosophy's moisturizers and I have pretty sensative skin. But I also love, love, love Avon's classic Skin So Soft body oil spray. My hubby even uses it now. lol. We both have dry skin from being in the pool and spa every day. It's the only thing that really gets me moisturized.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.