GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,110
Threads: 114,114
Posts: 2,150,331
Welcome to our newest member, hmnsqyah
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
lovespink88 lovespink88 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baby don't you want to go?
Posts: 4,007
Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Just going to answer the question in the title:

She should go through recruitment and find out for herself.

How can there be 4 pages of posts???????

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again...Greatfulgramma has the cutest username/best signature here.
__________________
I L L
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
adpiucf adpiucf is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: I can't seem to keep track!
Posts: 5,820
Echoing what others are saying about not selecting the college because of Greek Life, I also want to point out that there's no guarantee she will earn a spot on the dance team if she tries out. And she shouldn't change her major or minor to accommodate a hobby, IMHO. But that's none of my business.

So I would plan accordingly to choose the best school for her academically in furtherance of her career goals. I'm pretty sure you're already doing that if you're gathering all this intelligence about extracurriculars. She may end up loving a school without a dance team and/or Greek Life.

I wish her the best of luck. I think she's going to be fine.
__________________
Click here for some helpful information about sorority recruitment and recommendations.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-25-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Katmandu Katmandu is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
No. I am not being elitist. I am being honest in my assessment and realize that she needs growth in this area.
I salute you. Those are tough words for a mom to say. I'm a mom too, and it's hard, isn't it? I didn't mean my words to be harsh and I apologise if they were a bit short.

Sorority life is very fulfilling, but it is very time consuming, if you are going to do it right and reap the benefits. I hope you will encourage her to explore and consider her options. Most of us on this board wouldn't trade our experiences in our sororities and fraternities for anything. But if we are honest, most of us will say there were trying and difficult times, too. And trying and difficult people. It's great life preparation!

I wish you and her the best, and thanks for hanging in for a tough conversation.

Last edited by Katmandu; 01-25-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: My 500th post! I will celebrate with an adult bev...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
GratefulGramma GratefulGramma is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 95
I will forever be grateful (and greatful, too, of course) that I didn't find GC until after my one-in-ten-bazillion granddaughter was firmly established in her sorority. I would have worried her batty with my obsession(s) on what she might need to be doing!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
slight hijack

This, …

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Sororities should NOT be a factor in college selection.
… is different than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Echoing what others are saying about not selecting the college because of Greek Life.
In my opinion, a college education should not be limited to just what one gets from text books or learns in class.

I do agree that one should not select their college “because of Greek Life”. However, I feel a college’s extracurricular activities (and social climate) should be considered as a possible factor in one’s selection. Simply because extracurricular activities can/may help round out one's overall education.

end slight hijack
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
IrishLake IrishLake is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
Posts: 3,015
I'm glad this one didn't get deleted yet.

The OP should realize something. I think your daughter sounds amazing and wonderful. However, she is not going to be special or perceived that way by everyone else in college, professors included. She is a special snowflake to YOU. On a college campus, she is just another snowflake. College will become a humbling experience for her.

For what it's worth, my best friend in Theta was a Biology/Pre-Med major, played Varsity soccer, and served first as a VP and then later President of our chapter, in addition to clubs and other activities. She excelled at time management and today is a successful researcher who balances a demanding full time job with 3 children at home. It's done by a LOT of sorority women.
__________________
"I think my sorority sisters would be more concerned with the fact that I have a dick
" k_s
KAQ - 1870
With twin stars and kites above.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
summer_gphib summer_gphib is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: lost in the surf on a Florida beach...
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I'm glad this one didn't get deleted yet.

The OP should realize something. I think your daughter sounds amazing and wonderful. However, she is not going to be special or perceived that way by everyone else in college, professors included. She is a special snowflake to YOU. On a college campus, she is just another snowflake. College will become a humbling experience for her.

For what it's worth, my best friend in Theta was a Biology/Pre-Med major, played Varsity soccer, and served first as a VP and then later President of our chapter, in addition to clubs and other activities. She excelled at time management and today is a successful researcher who balances a demanding full time job with 3 children at home. It's done by a LOT of sorority women.
This is a perfect example of what you learn in college and especially in a sorority. You learn how to balance a busy schedule and to prioritize.
__________________
“All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schultz

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
gee_ess gee_ess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,551
I echo all of the great advice that has been given on here. I also believe this mom is going through some very typical angst for a mom who is sending a daughter away to school - especially far away.

Skipping ahead to recruitment at an SEC school: you and your daughter really, really need to get your ducks in a row for this! Read, read, read on GC - google the recruitment threads, do a search for specific schools - because, and don't kid yourself about this, SEC recruitment will require as much prep as anything she has done to date.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM
pinapple pinapple is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 226
Just to set the record straight 10 hours later...lol...I was not saying sorority life was not for the crafty and arty. I was using painting letters as a task that most have done, some better than others, but done in love and sisterhood. And if that is perceived as "silly tasks" then maybe it isn't right for OP's daughter. Of course the OP's daughter can volunteer for whatever her hearts desires, but when your heart is firmly planted in your sisterhood no task that promotes that sisterhood is ever looked at as silly.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Munchkin03 Munchkin03 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Home.
Posts: 8,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Sororities should NOT be a factor in college selection.
Why not? I don't think they should be a DEFINING factor, but it's part of "campus life," and there is more to going to college than just being in classes.

I'll use myself as an example--I knew I wanted to go to a school where my joining an NPC sorority was an option. I had a list of schools I was interested in, not just because of their academics, but because they provided the campus life that I wanted...and part of that was a diverse Greek system. I got into my first-choice school, joined an NPC, and had a great time and a great education that opens doors to me to this very day.

Some people want to go to college in a small town, others in a big city. Some people want a big football school while others would be in hog heaven if there was an Ultimate Frisbee league. Why should Greek life be any different?
__________________
"The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated." --Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,762
I think it's fine to include Greek Life as part of the college application criteria, but when my daughter was looking at colleges, my husband did say he didn't want her to select or eliminate based on whether her legacy chapters were on campus.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM
JLCo JLCo is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I echo all of the great advice that has been given on here. I also believe this mom is going through some very typical angst for a mom who is sending a daughter away to school - especially far away.

Skipping ahead to recruitment at an SEC school: you and your daughter really, really need to get your ducks in a row for this! Read, read, read on GC - google the recruitment threads, do a search for specific schools - because, and don't kid yourself about this, SEC recruitment will require as much prep as anything she has done to date.
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
MaryPoppins MaryPoppins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
To answer your question- yes she can be viewed as somewhat odd compared to other teens her age. She is silly, creative and has a very liberal attitude. We live in a very conservative republican suburb. If you watch her favorite commedy video I think you will understand how creatively different she can be compared to her surroundins @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUX4cSwrRk.
Tells me that she, dd, will not fare well in the SEC where the Tea Party is often seen as too liberal for polite company.
__________________
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, Kappa Alpha Theta exists to nurture each member throughout her college and alumna experience and to
offer a lifelong opportunity for social, intellectual, and moral growth as she meets the higher and broader demands of a mature life.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 01-25-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Tells me that she, dd, will not fare well in the SEC where the Tea Party is often seen as too liberal for polite company.
While it may be the exception to the rule, there are liberals who have had successful SEC recruitments.

Just saying.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Leslie Anne Leslie Anne is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Someplace fabulous!
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
Pointless. It doesn't matter who you are, you're not getting a bid without preparing. That means securing recs beforehand. You do not "wing" rush at an SEC school.
__________________
Kappa Delta

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greek Week Champs and Greek Goddess, Part II BBelleADPi Alpha Xi Delta 6 05-09-2008 01:33 PM
Positive Greek Story - MTSU Greek Fundraising DZHBrown Greek Life 4 11-14-2003 11:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.