GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,161
3 members and 1,158 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 12-08-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Bringing Down The House w/ Queen Latifah

This is a new movie with Queen Latifah and Steve Martin that I saw the trailer of this afternoon when I saw ANALYZE THAT.

It comes out in March but I think it is hilarious.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...nthehouse.html

You can see the 2 minute preview on the website.

Starring:
Queen Latifah, Steve Martin, Eugene Levy (dad from American Pie), Jean Smart
Directed By:
Adam Shankman

Synopsis:
When a recently divorced, lonely lawyer (Martin) meets a woman (Latifah) on the Internet who happens to be in prison, she breaks out to be with him, and proceeds to wreak havok on his middle-class life...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Ok, it looks like it's going to be crazy, but it reminds me of the movie House Guest with Sinbad and that guy Phill Hartman from News Radio.

Last edited by treblk; 12-09-2002 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

KUDOS QUEEN

Old 12-09-2002, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: KUDOS QUEEN

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
Wowo, she looks very good.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Re: KUDOS QUEEN

Quote:
She looks fantastic!!!!!

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 12-16-2002, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I saw the preview for this movie during DRUMLINe and it looked pretty funny to me. The funniest person was the man who played the dad in American Pie I and II.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 12-31-2002, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I seen the preview this weekend too and I think it will be a good hit.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-09-2003, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I just came from seeing it and there were far more Caucasians in the audience than I expected to see.

It was a good movie. You have to love Eugene Levy's wit. There were a couple of sticky parts IMO but I saw the movie for what it was: entertainment. Also the movie showed what happens when people who are different come together.

Oh and BTW, it is the #1 movie:
Old 03-09-2003, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just came from seeing it and there were far more Caucasians in the audience than I expected to see.
YESSSSSSSSSSS! There were only a few black people when I went (Saturday night), most were older white people.

Quote:
It was a good movie. You have to love Eugene Levy's wit. There were a couple of sticky parts IMO but I saw the movie for what it was: entertainment. Also the movie showed what happens when people who are different come together.

Oh and BTW, it is the #1 movie:
Yeah, I kinda grimaced at ALL of Betty White's parts, and when they were at the country club.

BUT...some parts were HILARIOUS:

- the fight scene

- when the old English lady was singing the "spiritual" at the dinner table

- when the sister-in-law saw Steve and Latifah dancing and she was like "if I tell you what happened a bunch of gangstas will come cut me!"

These parts had me dying.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
hmmm

Well I may have to see it. I've seen some negative reviews, including one on BET.com
Old 03-09-2003, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
YESSSSSSSSSSS! There were only a few black people when I went (Saturday night), most were older white people.

Yeah, I kinda grimaced at ALL of Betty White's parts, and when they were at the country club.

BUT...some parts were HILARIOUS:

- the fight scene

- when the old English lady was singing the "spiritual" at the dinner table

- when the sister-in-law saw Steve and Latifah dancing and she was like "if I tell you what happened a bunch of gangstas will come cut me!"

These parts had me dying.
Yeah there were like 6 senior citizen women in the audience.

Umm that SPIRITUAL --

The LAZATIVE -- BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The fight scene -- BATHROOM?? HA HA HA

The sister-in-law was SCUUUUUUUURRED.

Betty White -- I heard "NEGRO"
Old 03-09-2003, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I was honestly disturbed by this movie. I met a few of my Sands at a restaurant for breakfast and this white guy said he saw it and that it was very good. I decided to roll with them though I didn't have a desire to see it. I ust thought, without getting all political, that there could have been ONE Black person in the film who wasn't fighting, smoking weed, or whatever else.

The white lawyer who was trying to steal the English client could have EASILY been a Black, conservative, stick up his azz kind of brothah. Just to get a different, view of Black folks. I felt that the dichotomoy between the whites and Blacks was way over the top and the same thing could have been done without the mammy scenes, etc.

Levy, the fight scene (Tae Bo) and the Englich lady were the funniest. I just get all bent out of shape when I see a theater full of white folks who laugh at overtly racist "comedy" and it's passed off as "entertainment" so it's okay.

I don't know.

The producer of the ovie is also a professor at UCLA's film school and a KNOWN racist so, that doesn't help much either I guess.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

DeltaBrat...I totally agree. Now I am the FIRST one to say that sometimes we shouldn't look so deep into things, just see it for what it is and that's entertainment. I don't know, for some reason, I have no desire to see this movie. I'm not sure whether it's because lately I have been witness to so many racist/"superior" attitudes...but I just feel like this movie is perpetuating the stereotype of the "ghetto-fabulous" black person. Some of my friends went to see the movie because they thought it would be cute, and even though they said it was okay, they also said that there weren't any positive images of black people. I won't spend my money to go see something like that...not to say I won't watch it when it comes to cable!

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT
I was honestly disturbed by this movie. I met a few of my Sands at a restaurant for breakfast and this white guy said he saw it and that it was very good. I decided to roll with them though I didn't have a desire to see it. I ust thought, without getting all political, that there could have been ONE Black person in the film who wasn't fighting, smoking weed, or whatever else.

The white lawyer who was trying to steal the English client could have EASILY been a Black, conservative, stick up his azz kind of brothah. Just to get a different, view of Black folks. I felt that the dichotomoy between the whites and Blacks was way over the top and the same thing could have been done without the mammy scenes, etc.

Levy, the fight scene (Tae Bo) and the Englich lady were the funniest. I just get all bent out of shape when I see a theater full of white folks who laugh at overtly racist "comedy" and it's passed off as "entertainment" so it's okay.

I don't know.

The producer of the ovie is also a professor at UCLA's film school and a KNOWN racist so, that doesn't help much either I guess.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

1. "Bringing Down the House," $31.7 million.

2. "Tears of the Sun," $17.2 million.

3. "Old School," $9.2 million.

4. "Chicago," $6.9 million.

5. "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days," $6.8 million.

6. "Cradle 2 the Grave," $6.6 million.

7. "Daredevil," $5.2 million.

8. "The Jungle Book 2," $4.2 million.

9. "Shanghai Knights," $2.7 million.

10. "The Life of David Gale," $2.1 million.

EDIT:
From an email:
MEMBER OF DST (Delta Iota Spr '93 and Grambling State Alum)

last summer, there was a thread where Ms. Belcher was pictured as a WWF something or another. I remember she and the group had on orange outfits. Ms. Belcher was also on the first show of that Lifetime Network game show about friends.

Please go out and support the movie where I performed as Queen Latifah's stunt double. I am in 3 scenes: The fight scene with the girl in the bathroom, another one in the club and I get tackled by Steve Martin in the front yard.....of course you won't see me directly but it's me and you'll see my name in the credits at the end under stunt players...thank you for your support!!!!!
I saw it last night at the screening and it's the funniest movie I've seen in a LONG time...I'm not saying that just because I'm in it but it is true....I was in tears....
Thank you for your support....peace n blessings....
www.jwaundace.com

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 03-10-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York lawyer who claims she had the original idea for the box-office hit "Bringing Down the House" filed a $15 million copyright lawsuit Friday against star Queen Latifah and the movie's other producers.

Marie Flaherty claims the movie is a rip-off of "Amoral Dilemma," a screenplay she wrote several years ago about a lawyer who meets a prisoner online, only to have the prisoner wreak havoc in his life.

"Bringing Down the House," a comedy starring Latifah and Steve Martin, is about a prisoner who meets a lawyer in a chat room, then weasels her way into his life in hopes he can exonerate her.

The movie has been atop the box-office charts since it was released earlier this month, raking in $83.3 million through last weekend.

Flaherty claims Boston attorney George N. Tobia Jr. agreed to represent her in 1999 as she tried to sell "Amoral Dilemma."

Just a few months later, she says, Tobia called her to say he and a family friend, screenwriter Jason Filardi, had sold a script -- "Jailbabe.com," the screenplay that eventually became "Bringing Down the House."

Flaherty confronted Tobia about the similarities, and he told her repeatedly that Filardi's script was a comedy, while hers was a drama, she argues in the lawsuit.

Tobia did not immediately return a call for comment.

The copyright-infringement lawsuit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks a minimum of $15 million -- but Flaherty points out the court could award her more considering the movie's hefty gross.

The lawsuit names as defendants Tobia, Filardi and the movie's producers -- including Latifah, whose real name is Dana Owens. Latifah spokeswoman Amanda Silverman did not immediately have a comment.

Hyde Park Entertainment, which produced the film, and Walt Disney Co., which distributed it, also are listed as co-defendants.

Flaherty, an attorney who plans to represent herself, did not immediately return a call for comment.