GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,353
0 members and 2,353 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2000, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Application Packet

Just wondering if anyone here had any advice or anecdotes you'd like to share regarding your application process to your respective sorority/fraternity.

We are all mature greeks/greeks-to-be, therefore, we all know how much to disclose and how much not to disclose.

I know that we probably all have different processes and requirements, but we are currently putting together our application package and just curious to hear what others have to say about this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2000, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Asia,

Are you working with any of the staff at FSU's Greek Life office? If not, you should probably do so as they could probably be quite helpful with your application process.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ
Old 12-06-2000, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

You checked out the web site, right? You might've noticed, we are actually associate members of the Multi Cultural Greek Council here on campus. Our director also holds office or position (I believe) with the NPHC. So we are very involved in that respect. But I don't know how much they can help us with our application as the process isn't really meant to be shared outside of our organization.
Old 12-08-2000, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hi Asia,

What exactly do you need help on? I'm sure I can give you some suggestions but I'm not sure on what type of help you need. Let us know.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I can ask any specific questions without talking too much. I wish I could. I just thought I'd throw the topic out there and see what happens with it.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Likewise! I've been figuring out what I can say that would be meaningful to you, yet without letting any cats out of their bags.

All I can think to say is this: don't try to second gess the application. Give a straightforward answer to all questions, not the answer you think the organization wants to hear. I've found that more often than not, while substance (or the lack thereof) is important, it's more the spirit, and the tone of that spirit, that is equally important.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 12-12-2000, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
Give a straightforward answer to all questions, not the answer you think the organization wants to hear.
That's so true. I find myself leaning toward saying what I think they want to hear! I have to watch myself and not fall into that trap.
Old 12-13-2000, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Asia,
I agree with equeen. Just make sure you guys really say what you guys mean. Be genuine. Be honest. You can't go wrong with just being yourselves.
I'm trying to remember when we had to do the application thing. We just worked as fast as we could to get everything completed. Make sure everyone in your IG is helping out and doing their part. After all, that's what sisterhood is all about! We also had to have a LOT of patience! That was a true test because it took a while for things to get going. But once they did, it really went! lol! Nevertheless, just keep your heads up and if you guys need any help, just ask the national board/national membership person about what to do. They've been through it so they know how to help you in the best way possible. Good luck! We're rooting for you ladies
Old 12-13-2000, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. People always say go to the national rep for help. But, for many of our problems, I really don't want them to know we are having those types of problems. So we basically try to figure out everything ourselves. But it's made us a pretty strong unit.

However, it is really difficult getting everyone totally involved in the process of putting together the packet. It seems like if the core group of leaders don't take charge and just do it, it won't get done. It's actually a bit frustrating. How do you motivate them to help? Can't keep giving them responsibility when they've previously proven incompetent, tu sabe? Plus, it's getting late in the game to run experiments and hope this person or that person comes through.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2000, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you, ZChi!

Quote:
Originally posted by Asia2000:
Thanks. People always say go to the national rep for help. But, for many of our problems, I really don't want them to know we are having those types of problems. So we basically try to figure out everything ourselves. But it's made us a pretty strong unit.
In my experience, that strength is wonderful - unfortunately, it makes only a small, core unit extremely strong, and leaves others out of that strong bond. Honesty (sometimes blunt) makes for total unity and strength. Also...do trust your future Sister and National Representative - she is there to guide you through anything and everything. It's better to be honest to her about the issues you're experiencing as a group - and frankly, which group doesn't face issues? She is there to guide you. Please do trust her.

Quote:
However, it is really difficult getting everyone totally involved in the process of putting together the packet. It seems like if the core group of leaders don't take charge and just do it, it won't get done.
Trust me, Artimis and I (and a few others in our IG/Colony) felt the same frustration. One thing I learned when in that situation: it's best to communicate, up front, the frustrations you're facing. Talk to individuals one on one, and figure out before it's beyond the point of no return if (a) this is something they just like the idea of, or really have the interst/time/energy to commit to making a reality. It's a fair question, and one that deserves an honest answer. The worst thing you can do is simply to have the core leadership take care of everything, just to keep things moving along, while the others are there simply as "warm bodies," creating numbers for membership. This certainly accomplishes the goal of founding the sorority, but only in the short term. It has the potential to polarize the group, create an imbalance in future chapter leadership, and burn out members who have taken on the lion's share of the responsibilities.

Quote:
It's actually a bit frustrating. How do you motivate them to help? Can't keep giving them responsibility when they've previously proven incompetent, tu sabe? Plus, it's getting late in the game to run experiments and hope this person or that person comes through.Any suggestions?
I agree - you can't keep on giving responsibility to those who haven't shown their committment. It's not an easy solution - but keep true lines of communication open, and be honest. If someone cannot commit (now or ever), don't ask them to hold themselves to it. There is still time (I assume, your organizations rules might be different) to walk away without compromising an oath you've sworn. Also, individuals may find that the sorority is not for them after all, though they may respect its ideals and goals. Finally, some people may simply have underestimated the massive time committment required in establishing a sorority. Perhaps they'll regroup and come back when they've found/made time, perhaps not.

At the end of all of this, you may find your potential membership drastically reduced. Don't despair - with the quality of the women remaining, and their ability to keep things moving, you will be a stronger, tighter, more dynamic sisterhood.

Best of luck to you and your group, Asia. I hope our comments are helpful to you.

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Old 12-15-2000, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

However, it is really difficult getting everyone totally involved in the process of putting together the packet. It seems like if the core group of leaders don't take charge and just do it, it won't get done. It's actually a bit frustrating. How do you motivate them to help? Can't keep giving them responsibility when they've previously proven incompetent, tu sabe? Plus, it's getting late in the game to run experiments and hope this person or that person comes through.

Any suggestions?
Girl, why do you sound like our pledge class??! We had the SAME probs when were going through the process. I swear, we tried EVERYTHING to involve those that weren't stepping up to par. It was hard to give someone/some peeps a task to do when you know they won't get it done. From my experience, what we did was to basically sit down and discuss w/ those that weren't doing their share that they need to get it together, ya know. From what we found out, some peeps didn't even realize they weren't doing anything! (I don't know how you could be that oblivious, but whatever...) Talk to these people (if you haven't already) and find out where their dedication lies. Do they really, really wanna be apart of the group? Why do they wanna be a part of the group? Are they willing to do whatever it takes to get the chapter started? Let them know how you feel about their involvement. Also, sometimes you just gotta be blunt with how you feel. Especially if you've tried to be nice and let them know subtly that they aren't doing their share of the work or are trying to include them in things to make them work. With us, we tried doing that and when it came down to it, the people that weren't holding up their end told us that we should have just came out and said it, instead of finding nice little ways to include them. Some peeps just don't pick up hints well and if that's the case with you all, then maybe it's time to just put it out there, plain and simple. Hey, it might upset peeps, but at least they'll know FOR SURE where they stand. I hope that all made sense. If you want, email me on this. I can tell ya some thangs about us...well as much as I can. Good luck!

Oh, one last thing. About talking to your Nat'l Rep...I say do it. If you are the leader/Pres of your IG, I say call up the Natl Rep. We did the same thing and tried to hide it. Honestly, when it all came out, our Nat'ls were kinda upset that we didn't talk to them about it. Not upset like mad, but upset like sad that we didn't even think of coming to them about our problems. They had been through the same things before and they knew what to do in those situations. So, in your case too, your Nat'l Rep will probably have been through the same situation--whether they helped another IG with it or whether they've actually experienced it themselves. They know! So talk to them. Don't be afraid. Cuz honestly, EVERYBODY goes through this! They are there to help, so talk to them!

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old 12-30-2000, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question I think I can share with you all.

As a functioning group, we've always "used" the colors of the sorority we are trying to join. We never really used colors for anything but ourselves because most of the things we have stay within our group. I hope you know what I mean by that.

Anyway, now that we are putting together our application packet, what color scheme should I use? Should it be the sorority colors? Will that be incredibly rude and obnoxious? Should I use a color scheme totally different?
Old 12-30-2000, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Asia,

Well I guess it all depends on what the sorority says about the use of colors. For my sorority, IGs and Colonies are not to use our colors for anything--advertising, decorating, etc. That is a privilege of members to use our colors. So if the sorority does not have a problem w/ you all using the colors, then it should be ok to use them to put together the packet. But if you aren't supposed to be using them for anything, then of course, you should use another color to put the packet together. I hope that all made sense. I would ask the National rep about the use of their colors...you wouldn't want to do something to offend or upset them.
Hope things are going well for you all!
Keep striving for your goal

ZC4Life
Old 01-02-2001, 11:22 PM
Artimis

Quote:
I know Equeen and Zchi4life have already commented on this. But I'm going to comment as well. I'm currently a National Representive for our newest colony.

National Reps are around to assist you. So I'll encourage you to contact them and talk to them. In a young organization, your rep possibly was a founding member of her chapter or played an important role in the stablity/growth of her chapter or nationals. Also, many of the same concerns, issues and problems occur with other groups.

Communication is key. Your National Rep is your link to your National Organization. She is your advocate and your friend. Do realize that the more you discuss with them your activies, they more they can help you andmore importantly promote you on a national level. Reps are observant of things that you might not even address with them. Thus, they might be hesitant on their discussion with Nationals about you. Esp if they don't see how the concern was resolved. They never know if it was address or just swept under the rug. So following up with the rep is always a good idea. In addition, the concern you face may help strengthen the National expansion process, especially if it something that has not been brought up before.

My advice with dealing with a concern or issue and involving a National Rep. Bring her the reason/history behind the concern and bring her possible solutions. This reflects well on your group. It shows that you're thinking through the problem. In addition, it helps to establish a presetent. Once you become a chapter, instead of a National Rep to turn to, you have your alumnae. Many concerns and issues are cyclic. You might also find yourself sugguesting a solution that wasn't though of before.

Best of Luck. Feel free to email me if you'd like!

Jennifer

------------------

Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice
Old 01-09-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a question I think I can share with you all....what color scheme should I use? Should it be the sorority colors? Will that be incredibly rude and obnoxious? Should I use a color scheme totally different?
Depends on how the sorority views colors - some groups would be affronted, taking the usage before initiation as a gross presumption. Other groups wouldn't mind. An alternative could be to use your university's colors. Also, since this is a formal document, plain black and white will work well.

Continued good luck to you and yours!

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge