GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,360
4 members and 1,356 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Goucher College - One of the few women's colleges to have had NPC chapters

The Women’s College of Baltimore, today known as Goucher College, was founded in 1885 and graduated its first class in 1892. It was one of the few women’s colleges hosting chapters of national women’s fraternities. There is evidence of local women’s fraternities at women's colleges including Smith College, Mount Holyoke College and Wellesley College (Martin, 1907; “Legenda,” 1903; Solomon, 1985), but in those instances, the college administrations forbade national organizations from organizing on campus. Goucher College was an anomaly, with at one time, eight active chapters of women's fraternities.

The eight organizations with chapters at Goucher were (in no particular order since I'm typing this from memory) Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta and Delta Delta Delta.

The remainder of the post is at http://wp.me/p20I1i-Kg

Last edited by nyapbp; 04-08-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
The Women’s College of Baltimore, today known as Goucher College, was founded in 1885 and graduated its first class in 1892. It was one of the few women’s colleges hosting chapters of national women’s fraternities. There is evidence of local women’s fraternities at women's colleges including Smith College, Mount Holyoke College and Wellesley College (Martin, 1907; “Legenda,” 1903; Solomon, 1985), but in those instances, the college administrations forbade national organizations from organizing on campus. Goucher College was an anomaly, with at one time, eight active chapters of women's fraternities.

The eight organizations with chapters at Goucher were (in no particular order since I'm typing this from memory) Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Gamma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Beta Phi, Alpha Gamma Delta and Delta Delta Delta.

The remainder of the post is at http://wp.me/p20I1i-Kg
FYI, the size 1 Garamond font is really hard to read.

It would be interesting to know which women's schools did allow national sororities. I know that Queens College (now the co-ed Queens University of Charlotte) has had NPC sororities since the 1920s.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

There was also FSU when it was Florida State College for Women (1905-1947).
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of KD's earliest chapters were at women's colleges, such as Hollins, Judson, the Women's College of Alabama, Randolph-Macon Women's College, and of course the college that is now Longwood.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=MysticCat;2211946]FYI, the size 1 Garamond font is really hard to read.

My apologies! I agree. I've changed it in the original message.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Brenau University in Gainesville, GA has had NPC orgs since the early 20th century.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Women's colleges

Dr. May L. Keller, the Goucher student pictured in the post, was Dean of Westhampton College when it was the coordinate of the University of Richmond. As Pi Beta Phi's Grand President, during the time she as at Westhampton, she installed chapters all over the country and in Canada, but she was adamant that there not be NPC groups at Westhampton. Her feeling was that it would divide the student body. Perhaps it harkened to her own experience at Goucher. When the Pi Phi chapter was installed at the University of Richmond, the pledging ceremony took place in Keller Hall.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My apologies! I agree. I've changed it in the original message.
Thanks, although to be honest it's still hard to read -- anything more than a sentence or two in font size 1 is. FWIW, 3 is the default font size on GC. Of course, how it appears on anyone's computer screen will depend on their own settings, but the default 3 is usually a safe bet.

Also, the link isn't working for me.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

font size

Hopefully, I've changed the original post. I am at work and I am certain this computer knows I have other things to do! The post has had problems form the get go with font and size. It looks very large on this computer. Please just chalk it up to my Luddite tendancies.

Hopefully the link is fixed.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hopefully, I've changed the original post. I am at work and I am certain this computer knows I have other things to do! The post has had problems form the get go with font and size. It looks very large on this computer. Please just chalk it up to my Luddite tendancies.

Hopefully the link is fixed.
Much easier to read, thanks!

The link in your post still isn't working for me, but I got to the article through the link in your signature. As always, very interesting.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

And Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia where ADPi and Phi Mu were founded-which had several more chapters of (what would become) NPC sororities.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma at Goucher

(1) I am from the deep south ('bout drivin' distance to Louisiana), so when researching DG's chapter there I thought it was pronounced GO-SHAY, a-la-Cajun French. My Northern alumnae sisters had quite a giggle at my expense.

(2) If you're not a DG or a Greek history buff, you may not know Delta Gamma's original chapter was the Psi chapter, formed at the Lewis School for Girls in Oxford, MS. The original chapter closed in 1889. The DG chapter at Goucher received the mother chapter's letter, Psi. It is usually referred to as Psi II-Goucher. Unfortunately the chapter closed in 1950. The University of Mississippi chapter had already been formed (1927) and was not able to receive the letter, as Goucher was still active. So we settled for Alpha Psi, a nice compromise between Alpha (traditional name for a mother chapter) and Psi, our original founding chapter's letter, while also acknowledging that the Ole Miss chapter is a sort of "legacy," but not the true original chapter.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissAnchor View Post
(1) I am from the deep south ('bout drivin' distance to Louisiana), so when researching DG's chapter there I thought it was pronounced GO-SHAY, a-la-Cajun French. My Northern alumnae sisters had quite a giggle at my expense.

(2) If you're not a DG or a Greek history buff, you may not know Delta Gamma's original chapter was the Psi chapter, formed at the Lewis School for Girls in Oxford, MS. The original chapter closed in 1889. The DG chapter at Goucher received the mother chapter's letter, Psi. It is usually referred to as Psi II-Goucher. Unfortunately the chapter closed in 1950. The University of Mississippi chapter had already been formed (1927) and was not able to receive the letter, as Goucher was still active. So we settled for Alpha Psi, a nice compromise between Alpha (traditional name for a mother chapter) and Psi, our original founding chapter's letter, while also acknowledging that the Ole Miss chapter is a sort of "legacy," but not the true original chapter.
My mother-in-law, the GO-SHAY alumna, insisted her granddaughter tour the school. I mentioned it to my sister, who had never heard of the school. She immediately called it Gaucho, like the peanut butter cookies (perhaps once made by Burry, but I could be wrong about that), and couldn't fathom why we would even go out of our way from Illinois to Connecticut to tour the school. We did the tour on a Saturday morning and never once got out of the car. We never saw anyone during our auto tour, but we could honestly say we toured it. When my daughter and I talk about Goucher, we refer to it as Gaucho. (My apologies to all Goucher alums who read this - make all the jokes you want to about my alma mater.)

Thanks for the added info about Alpha Psi!

Last edited by nyapbp; 04-09-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Sorry for thread hijack, but can't resist asking whether any GCers still have their 1970's gaucho pants at the back of their closet.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
^^^Sorry for thread hijack, but can't resist asking whether any GCers still have their 1970's gaucho pants at the back of their closet.
Oh, gaucho pants!! The '70s had so many fashion odd fashion trends. Maxi dresses are back, can gauchos be far behind?