GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,625
0 members and 1,625 guests
No Members online

Old 12-28-2004, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile First South African Greek Chapter!!!

FRATERNITY ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL TRIP TO SOUTH AFRICA AND THE CHARTERING OF FIRST SOUTH AFRICAN GREEK CHAPTER

Philadelphia, PA, December 2004– Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is proud to announce the success of its recent trip to South Africa. Grand Polemarch (President & CEO), Samuel C. Hamilton, and Deputy Executive Director, Spencer T. Bruce, recently returned from the 6-day trip to Johannesburg where the fraternity established a solid presence. The Kappa representatives were part of a group of over 35 people journeying to South Africa for the National Racial Reconciliation Day celebration. Dr. Charles H. Beady, Jr., President of the Piney Woods School of Mississippi and a member of Kappa, organized the trip. The world-renowned Piney Woods Cotton Blossom Singers Choir performed at several local churches during the trip, including the December 16th celebration, which marked the tenth anniversary of the country’s abolishment of apartheid.

The tour, which began on December 12th, included a grand opening reception at the Holiday Inn in Sandton, the lodging headquarters of the group. Many local dignitaries attended and Kappa took the opportunity to make formal financial contributions to the Cotton Blossom Singers, to partly sponsor their travel; the African-American Male Achievers Network, Inc. (A-MAN, Inc.), an international program headquartered in Inglewood, CA with a satellite in Cape Town, dedicated to developing leadership in youth utilizing science, technology and economics; and Success by Choice, a South African-based organization that has trained over 35,000 youth in life skills. Members of the fraternity head all three organizations. Hamilton and Bruce were also among a small delegation that was personally entertained by Ambassador Frazer, at her residence in Pretoria. In attendance during formal ceremonies on Reconciliation Day was famed entertainer, Oprah Winfrey.

The trip was culminated for the fraternity with the formal chartering of the Johannesburg/Pretoria/Cape Town (SA) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. at 12:00 noon on December 16, 2004 (Reconciliation Day). Fourteen (14) Kappas made up the charter members of the chapter. Said Hamilton during his remarks; “Words cannot adequately describe the emotions present during this historical occasion. This is truly a great day for Kappa. We expect that this chapter will lead our efforts in making a real difference in the various communities of South Africa.” The fraternity plans a return to South Africa with its entire leadership in January 2006 to celebrate Founders’ Day, the day of its national founding. Its plans are to charter an undergraduate chapter at the local university and initiate the first class of members into the Alumni Chapter during that visit.

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is an international organization founded on the campus of Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana on January 5, 1911. Since its inception, it has trained over 120,000 men, particularly undergraduates, for leadership roles in their communities and the attainment of a high degree of excellence in their academic pursuits. The International Headquarters is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Wow... congratulations, Kappa Alpha Psi!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I just posted it in their thread. But, this is a MUCH better idea.

CONGRATS!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 AM

Congratulations!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Banned

Wow. But this does beg many questions from me.

I don't understand how they would deal with things such as totally different laws, dedicating resources to such a far away chapter, monitoring such a far away chapter, etc.

Good for them though if this works out.

-Rudey
Old 12-28-2004, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I recall some NPHC orgs (Omega Psi Phi definitely) have chapters in Korea and the far east, so I'm thinking they have experience in chapters such as this, and can adapt to each countries laws.

Either way, that's pretty tight to have a South African chapter.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations Kappa Alpha Psi.

wait a minute? This IS my signature.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, that is awesome!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Wow, that's awesome for Kappa and for their South African brothers. Rock on!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Congrats

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!