GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,334
1 members and 2,333 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Question

Hi, A close friend's daughter is going through rush and has asked me a question regarding the signing of a preference card and the subsequent results. I want to make sure I am giving the correct answer. The daughter has two houses going into pref., one that she likes and one that has been her bottom all week. (I gave the advice to look around her as the girls at the party will be her pledge class, not the girls rushing, and to go all the way and to give it a chance). She wants to know a few things...
1. If she only puts the one house on her pref card and does not get a bid, is she able to go through any informal rush which may be available and is she able to receive a snap bid if there are any? ( I also explained that the houses informal rushing may be the same ones she has) I know that she is not available for quota additions.
2. If she puts both down and receives a bid to her "not favorite" house, she is limited for one year, right? What about a new house which is colonizing after formal recruitment?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

#1: You are correct. She can do informal or get a snap bid if she doesn't match - no matter how many she puts on her card.
#2: She would not be eligible for ANY chapter, even the new one.

And allthat info is on the card when she signs it.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
1. She would be eligible for COB and snap bidding, but not Quota Additions.
OK, I feel like a idiot, but I am going to ask... what is the difference between a snap bid & a quota addition? I always thought they were the same
Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Snap bids are available to chapters that do not make quota. Those chapters are asked if there are any PNMs to whom they wish to extend a bid. The PNMs are notified that they did not match to any of the chapters on their pref card and would they be willing to accept a bid to XYZ. PNMs may get multiple snap bid offers. Also, snap bids may be offered to any PNM who did not match. This includes PNMs that the chapter may have previously cut or who may have dropped from recruitment prior to signing a pref card. A chapter may offer the number of snap bids that will take them to quota. A PNM who SIPs (single intentional preferences) is eligible to receive a snap bid.

Quota additions are where PNMs who "played the game" ie maximized her options who did not match, probably because both (all three) of the pref'ed chapters reached quota before reaching her name on their bid lists. Since the PNM did what she was supposed to do, she is allowed to be bid by one of her pref'ed chapters. A PNM who SIPs (single intentional preferences) is not eligible to be a quota addition.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 10-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added info about SIPs
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, AZ-AlphaXi!! Now I see the difference
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

A PNM will know if she is a snap bid because they will have to ask her to accept the bid. She will not know if she is a quota addition as it is done automatically in accordance with the bid card and bid lists.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 PM

That was a very good explanation, AZ-AlphaXi.

Basically, snap bidding helps the sororities. Quota additions help the rushees.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

One more question. What happens if she is only invited to one pref. and puts that one chapter on her bid card. Is she available for quota additions? Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camom View Post
One more question. What happens if she is only invited to one pref. and puts that one chapter on her bid card. Is she available for quota additions? Thanks
Only if she has "maximized her options" all week. That means attending any party for which she had an invitation and room in her party schedule. She cannot have elected to not attend a party if she had the slot open in her schedule.