GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,546
1 members and 2,545 guests
John

Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Dear Readers,

I'm headed out the door for the weekend...the next chapter will be on Monday! Sorry.

But, but...BUT...guess where I'm going? I'm attending the wedding of two of my pledge sisters' children! Isn't that wild? I don't think I've ever known the parents of the groom and bride -- we were all in school together!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Almost finished!

Since Nut had attended 3 parties Invitational Round and a rushee could only attend 2 parties Pref Round, a decision would have to be made. Nut clearly liked the Rubies best, but which other group’s party should she attend? Her OA was a Sapphire…but…the Pearls had a better campus reputation. Hmmm. Well, it ended up not being a very difficult decision since Nut received only 2 invitations!!! She accepted pref invites to both Ruby and Sapphire.

Attire for preference round was “formal.” Almost all rushees wore floor length dresses. Nut chose her Junior/Senior prom dress – a white dotted Swiss with muti-colored raised flowers. She wore lime green wedge sandals that matched the green accents in the dress.

Rubies party was first. The first portion of the party took place in 2 lovely rooms at the Topia Alumni House. Each rushee’s name was called out by a Sister of Ruby. All of the Rubies were wearing floor-length white dresses and their sorority badge. The food was elegant. Susan called Nut’s name and after they received a plate of food, went to a couple of folding chairs in the corner. The room was full of extra chairs to accommodate the large group. After initial chit chat, Susan began telling Nut about the wonderful experience of being a Ruby. She told Nut to look around the room and see the other rushees who would quite possibly make up the Ruby pledge class. Nut noticed one rushee who looked sooooo old – was she forty? Hmmm. At an appointed time – all of the Rubies left the room to prepare for the ceremony. The rushees were asked not to speak as they left the Alumni house and walked towards the chapel for the ceremony. The path to the chapel was lined with Rubies, all holding a lit candle in silence. Once inside the chapel, the officers were standing in front with their white gowns and long white gloves. Each rushee was seated in the large semi-circle of chairs. The other members of the chapter stood behind all of the chairs. The officers each had a speaking part. There was singing and humming and when it was over, each rushee was given a flower with a poem on a card, tied with ribbons in the sorority colors. The chapter members filed out, leaving just the officers to sing the last song. The rushees left and again went through a line of Rubies with candles – this time they were singing. The rushees were asked to gather at the foot of the steps to the art building. The members assembled on the steps for one last song. This one was full of 3 part harmony – it was beautiful. Then…after a brief moment of silence…the sorority CHEER!

Last edited by NutBrnHair; 06-25-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

oooooh....i got goose bumps. it sounds absolutely beautiful. i can't wait to hear more.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, it's only been an hour but...

(chanting) Up-date! Up-date! Up-date!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Next-to-last Installment

Nut’s last pref party was with the Sapphires. She had not made special connections with any of the members, but her OA was a member and all of the sisters she had met had been very nice. The party was set up in much the same way. Nut’s OA called out her name: “The Sisters of Sapphire are pleased to welcome Miss Nut Hair.” After getting a plate of food, OA led Nut to a table with 2 other Sapphires and 2 other rushees. They began talking about activities of the weekend and boyfriends. The sisters started kidding OA and said “She wants to be pinned.” “She wants to be engaged.” “She wants to be pregnant!” To which OA finally stopped them and said, “Honey, I could be if I wanted to be!” Sweet naïve little Nut was stunned. Later, OA turned to Nut and asked what she planned to do later that evening. “Tonight?” Nut asked. “I guess going back to the dorm and go to sleep. I’m going to church with friends in the morning.” After a lovely ceremony of singing and emotional speeches, the ceremony ended. Some rushees were crying. Nut was ready to sign her bid card.

All rushees were advised during Rush to attend as many parties as possible each round. After attending both pref parties, Nut decided to suicide Ruby. Would this be a good decision?!?...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
My guess is that Nut will recieve a bid from Ruby, even though she suicided...

Go ahead, update, I'm waiting.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

*to the tune of the Grease song*

Tell me more, tell me more!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
*to the tune of the Grease song*

Tell me more, tell me more!
Careful, honeychile -- don't get a recruitment infraction because of too many frills in your post!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

That has to be the weirdest pref conversation I've ever heard.

I'm agreeing with a Ruby suicide.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

With weird conversations like that, do you think that the other people remember it the same way?

In NutBrnHair's memory, it was the part that made the biggest impression, but I wonder if the OA remembers it as we-had-some-random-small-talk, then I told her all why she would be a perfect sapphire, and that she had no idea that it turned you off that much.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeesh! You'd think women would have the common sense not to have those types of conversations during Rush...especially at Preference!

Although I usually wouldn't support suiciding a sorority, this time it might have been for the best.

Can't wait to hear more!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Yeesh! You'd think women would have the common sense not to have those types of conversations during Rush...especially at Preference!
When I was being rushed during informal recruitment at one school, we were all playing Monopoly and a one girl made a really gross comment. A couple of others chimed to agree and I was almost throwing up visualizing what they'd said. The other girls in the room were horrified-like, "did they really go on about that in front of a rushee?"

They called me to offer a bid that night. Um, nope.

Now Nut, we want to hear the end of your story, please!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

The end of the story…

As it turns out, Nut’s story has a very happy ending. Bids were given out on Sunday afternoon. Nut opened her envelope to reveal a bid from Ruby! Nut’s hometown friends Carol, Kay and Holly all received Ruby bids. Leslie the fun R.A. who was disaffiliated during Rush was a Ruby and Susan who prefed Nut was the Pledge Trainer! Ruby pledged quota of 30, which made chapter membership close to 80. Nut became an officer of her Pledge Class and later served the chapter as Personnel Chairman and President.

The End.

Key:
Ruby = Chi Omega
Pearl = Phi Mu
Sapphire = ADPi
Emerald = Alpha Gam

University of Topia (UTopia) = Mercer Univ., Macon, GA
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS, MISS NUT!!!!

Those tacky Sapphires!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM