GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
4 members and 1,430 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge

Old 01-20-2002, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

its sounds like you're having a blast, but i have to ask you this...does your name come from the song by the Big Bopper?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2002, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

hahaha yes Optimist Prime!!! my dad used to sing it to me all the time when i was a little girl and for some reason it was stuck in my head when i was thinking of a name! xoxo
Old 01-20-2002, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking SOUTHERN THETA RULES!

hey guys i just read that thread that southern theta started concerning her advice to new rushees! it was so helpful and made me feel a lot better! thanks to everyone who contributed to that! YOU RULE!xoxo
Old 01-20-2002, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck! Just remember to keep an open mind, you may find out that the house for you isn't one you thought of before you went through rush! Remember to smile and don't get stressed out. It will all work out for the best!

Jess
Old 01-20-2002, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey there, I just wanted to wish you good luck! Have fun and keep us updated
Old 01-20-2002, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

chantillylace55,

It is going to be a wonderful experience for you! I can almost guarantee you that you will be nervous, but I can also almost guarantee you that the girls in the different sororities are going to be nervous themselves! It is a lot of fun, but there is nervousness on both sides. Don't let that keep you from finding the right "home" for you! Go with who you feel most comfortable with. It will all be just fine!

Good luck and have tons of fun! Don't forget to keep us posted!!!
Old 01-20-2002, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck! And don't worry about not being a freshman - I was a junior when I rushed. I felt (and was) a lot older than than everyone else, but it was still SO much fun, and in the end, age made no difference.

Have fun and let us know how it goes when that time comes!

"Peachy!"
Old 01-21-2002, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

GOOD LUCK!!! I am so glad its recruitment time again, so we can hear all of your awesome stories! Remember to give us as many details as you can recall and follow your heart. Go wherever makes you the happiest and where you feel the most at home. I cannot wait to hear everything
Old 01-21-2002, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck!!!! We're behind you here!
Old 01-21-2002, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

hey again ladies! it's in 2 DAYS now! im so nervous! well, i'm nervous about rush AND i'm nervous because i'm starting a new school where i don't know ANYBODY! but hopefully rush will help eliminate that problem thank you thank you thank you all sooo much for your support and enthusiasm! you guys are all so great!
also, does anyone know what that first night / panhellenic open house will entail? do you think it will be just like a lecture, or will we get to walk around and maybe see booths the sororities have set up? just wondering...
alright, well unfortuneately i dont have anything else exciting to report right now! i move in on wed, and i promise ill get my computer up asap on wed. to keep you all updated!
bye girls! xoxo
Old 01-21-2002, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
My campus' Panhellenic night was pretty easy and laid back.
The Rho Chis did skits about what rush was like and lots of the usual questions were answered (ie. what is COB, what is a legacy, ect.) They also had a question and answer session then the pnms broke up into their rho chi groups and then there was a little social for just the pnm's, the rho chis, and the panhellenic staff. we just had punch and cookies.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Good Luck!!!!

ChantillyLace55-
I am sure you will do great and end up in the sorority right for you. We are all crossing our fingers for you sweetie!!

PS- Alpha Delta Pi is a great Org.!!!

-Ryan
Old 01-21-2002, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck girly!!! Definitely listen to everyone's advice on here as it helped me out a lot last fall. I don't know what I would have done without Greek Chat. Especially the moderators, they're awesome! Just keep smiling (genuinely), and be sure to ask lots of questions about philanthropy, sisterhood events, leadership opportunities, intermural sports, etc, and you'll wow them all! Also ask questions about the person/people who are rushing you such as "how did you know that (XYZ) was right for you?" (make sure you use the right intonation and smile, though, or it will sound as if you're being sarcastic--and try not to make it sound rehearsed). Other questions you might ask could be "how does (ABC) get involved on campus?", or "Your sisters seem to have really close bonds, don't you think?"

Some big no-nos I have read on other posts here:

---don't mention/ask ANYTHING about fraternities, or even guys in general; sororities want to know that you are interested in FEMALE bonding.

---if you smoke, drink, or have any other bad habits do NOT mention these.

---DON'T BRAG about money, clothes, your car, your apartment or anything as it may seem as if you think you're guaranteed membership because of your money, or you only want to be in it because you like the house they have

---if you're a legacy, be sure to mention it, but don't brag about it the whole time

---if you don't like a particular sorority, DON'T BE RUDE! Just politely listen to what they have to say.

---don't suicide; if you get a bid from someone you don't like, you can always refuse it and rush again next year. You may end up liking the people you hadn't considered anyhow.

---make sure you go to the bathroom before each visit, so you don't have to ask to go later, as it may seem you're not interested in them.

One more thing (for now): try to remember at the name of at least ONE sister from each sorority, and one thing about them so if you're invited back you can let them know you're interested by saying her name, etc. Example: I remembered there was a girl named Sara, and that she had talked about how her cat weighed 21 pounds. So the next night I said, "You're the girl with the big cat aren't you?" and we both had something to laugh about. We're now sisters.

Best of luck!!! Please keep us all updated! E-mail me if you'd like!

jessica83fl@yahoo.com
Old 01-21-2002, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Jessica! (ZetaLuvBunny)
thank you so much for your post - it was very helpful and i genuinely appreciate the time you put into writing it. your post was exactly what i needed to hear right now!
im just worried about talking to the girls... i'm not an extremely shy person, but i'm not one of those in-your-face-outgoing types. i just don't want to be stuck there with some awkward silence and feel stupid. but your post really helped me with ideas about things to bring up! i'll keep them in mind so i dont get nervous and blank out during the parties - those are all great questions to ask! i love the idea about remembering the girls' names! i think i may bring around a paper or something and write it down along with my thoughts after each party, because i am usually terrible with names!
i just want to thank you all again from th bottom of my heart for all your advice and support! i really feel that i have met some of the greatest girls on gc and it makes me want to go greek even more - especially if there are girls like y'all out there haha i am opening up to you guys more than i am with some of my friends! this is rad!

byebye for now girls! xoxo
Old 01-21-2002, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chantillylace55
i'm not an extremely shy person, but i'm not one of those in-your-face-outgoing types. i just don't want to be stuck there with some awkward silence and feel stupid. but your post really helped me with ideas about things to bring up! i'll keep them in mind so i dont get nervous and blank out during the parties - those are all great questions to ask!
Just keep in mind that the sisters are as nervous as you are (if not more)...and that it's a big part of their "job" to keep up conversations and make you feel at home!!