GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,473
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, gregrasusasda62
» Online Users: 2,136
0 members and 2,136 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Auburn in the Fall

I have been born and raised here in the Orange Curtain but will be making a big change come August. 2400ish miles to Alabama.

Honestly I never thought was going to be in college and attended trade school for what would have been the fall semester of my freshman year. I realized that I did not want to twist wrenches for 30 year so I got out and went to the local community college.

I did the whole community thing since then which has worked out well due to location and the fact it is so inexpensive. But it has been extremely boring. The school is like 95% freaks,foreigners and F'ups.

I applied to Auburn,was accepted,took a trip over spring break and visited the schools that I got into(Auburn,USC,and College of Charleston).
The small town feel of Auburn is an absolutely perfect fit and feel.

In the fall I will be a 22 year old from Southern California at a brand new school,wanting to meet people and have that southern college experience.

Will being an out of state transfer student limit what fraternities will even consider me?

Thank you
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

It may, along with your age....but with other fraternities it won't be such an issue. Give them all a chance and you might just end up with a bid.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

That is exactly the plan
I cannot change my age,admission status or where I have grown up.

Hopefully it works out
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak on a broad scale because I don't know, but can tell you of a few cases I know of that are similar to yours. I have two friends whose sons rushed and pledged fraternities at Auburn just this past fall. Both were out-of-state transfers. One came from a small four-year school and one from a small community college. They were both 20 when they pledged and one of them turned 21 this spring. So -- a little younger than you, but not the typical 18-year-olds going through recruitment.

I have another friend whose son rushed and pledged last fall as an out-of-state 20-year-old freshman. He'll be 21 in a few weeks.

All three of these men are friends with one of my sons, and I know they are all happy with the outcomes of their recruitments and got houses they really wanted. The point I'm making is that I do know guys who were NOT 18, in-state and fresh out of high school who had successful recruitments at Auburn.

Give it your best shot and I hope it works out for you!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That is good to know about non traditional guys getting bids at Auburn.

I will be 22 in July so not too old that I cannot relate with the younger guys but have also lived and experienced more.

I did a lot of growing up between 18 and now.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Though your pledge class will likely have a lot more younger guys than older ones, the fraternity as a whole will have members of various ages. They look for men they can see as brothers and a good fit for their organization, which is what you'll be looking for too.

Unlike sororities, fraternities don't have set quotas. They can bid as many men as they want to whereas sororities are limited...this is one reason why rushing a sorority in the SEC is more challenging for non-traditional women. A sorority might hesitate to bid a junior with only two years left when it could be offered instead to a freshman with four years to give. A fraternity doesn't have to make that decision -- they're free to bid both guys if they want to because they don't have a quota determining how many spots are open. This can also be helpful to older guys rushing.

Again, just give it your best and hopefully you will find a great, lifelong brotherhood!

Oh -- just a heads up and some good, southern form -- don't use the word "frat." I realize you have not done that in any of your posts, but just to let you know since you're not from SEC country, some fraternity men do find the term frat offensive. You can't go wrong with "fraternity," though!

Last edited by greekdee; 05-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn also has a lot of fraternity expansion/ re-colonizations happening in the fall. I'd suggest looking more into that as-well.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for the information.
I am really looking forward to the fall.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Best of luck to you!