GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,509
1 members and 2,508 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

^^I'm pissed that I got 2 A minuses and an A, so I'm at a 3.78. Can I still claim straight As, even without the 4.0?

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Can I still claim straight As, even without the 4.0?
Sure why not? I don't think the grade point average police are going to come get you
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

For all you out there with these great grades, what kind of advice would you give to someone without such a high GPA who hopes to bring it up?

I am currently a mechanical engineering major, so sometimes an A isn't really the goal, just passing is. It seems like sometimes, just being at the top of the failing grades is a success. What do you do to raise your grades when the entire class is failing?

My GPA is currently a 2.43 on a 4 point scale. My friends tell me they are proud of me for A) not flunking out, B) not giving up, and C) still having an outside life and being active in the community (I volunteer, go to church, am active at church, am on the EBoard for 2 organizations on campus)
I just have a hard time believing that this is something to be proud of.

When I was in high school, I graduated in the top 10 percent of the class in the National Honor Society and the National Foreign Languages Honor Society, took AP classes and was in 4 different extra curricular activities.
Do you think that maybe this is affecting the way I view my college career?

Any advice that any of you have would be greatly appreciated.
Study skills, time management advice, helpful websites, anything.

Also, if you have any female contacts in the mechanical engineering field, please let me know. I am always looking for contacts and mentors.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not a science/engineering/anything like that major, but I've heard that it isn't really about getting an A (like you said). I think that grad schools and future employers would recognize that. I've heard O-Chem is a nightmare; I figure future employers would know that and applaud a B-.

Does anyone else think it would work that way? I can see how a 2.43 would be disappointing in comparison to high school grades, but maybe people recognize this difference as a different system altogether? Hmmm...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedEve View Post
For all you out there with these great grades, what kind of advice would you give to someone without such a high GPA who hopes to bring it up?

I am currently a mechanical engineering major, so sometimes an A isn't really the goal, just passing is. It seems like sometimes, just being at the top of the failing grades is a success. What do you do to raise your grades when the entire class is failing?

My GPA is currently a 2.43 on a 4 point scale. My friends tell me they are proud of me for A) not flunking out, B) not giving up, and C) still having an outside life and being active in the community (I volunteer, go to church, am active at church, am on the EBoard for 2 organizations on campus)
I just have a hard time believing that this is something to be proud of.

When I was in high school, I graduated in the top 10 percent of the class in the National Honor Society and the National Foreign Languages Honor Society, took AP classes and was in 4 different extra curricular activities.
Do you think that maybe this is affecting the way I view my college career?

Any advice that any of you have would be greatly appreciated.
Study skills, time management advice, helpful websites, anything.

Also, if you have any female contacts in the mechanical engineering field, please let me know. I am always looking for contacts and mentors.
Thanks
I was a CS/SE major for two years, and my engineering grades were RARELY above a B or a B- no matter how hard I studied - meanwhile my other grades were all still As or Bs. Are you involved with SWE on your campus? Sometimes talking to the older women can be very helpful.

I ended up leaving engineering and that school, but my sorority sisters who were engineers graduated with around a 2.8 most of the time - which generally put them in the top quarter of their engineering class. Do you have an advisor in the program? Maybe you could go talk to them about what the average GPA for the college of engineering is.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
I was a CS/SE major for two years, and my engineering grades were RARELY above a B or a B- no matter how hard I studied - meanwhile my other grades were all still As or Bs. Are you involved with SWE on your campus? Sometimes talking to the older women can be very helpful.

I ended up leaving engineering and that school, but my sorority sisters who were engineers graduated with around a 2.8 most of the time - which generally put them in the top quarter of their engineering class. Do you have an advisor in the program? Maybe you could go talk to them about what the average GPA for the college of engineering is.
Thanks for the advice. Our chapter of SWE is getting more organized by the minute right now, so I am starting to get more involved. I just wish they had been doing more when I was a freshman. But that's nothing that I can change now. I do have an advisor, and I am fortunate that she is one of the few female faculty members in our department. So she definitely knows what I'm going through. I think I'm going to have to put in a few more hours talking to her and the members of the SWE chapter. Also, the national NSBE conference falls during my spring break this year, so I will be attending that. Maybe I'll post back in the future to let you guys know how everything is going. And thanks again for all the advice.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

A on my memoir
Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 AM

Psych rehab interview paper- A

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got my winter quarter grades:
French B+ (I deserved higher but she was mean)
Spanish Culture B+ (considering my effort or lack thereof...woo hoo!)
Intro to Education A (YES!!!)

That's a 3.53. YAY!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Statistics for Ed Services midterm- A
Med Info midterm- A

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm no longer in school, I need to live vicariously. The Alpha Gamma Delta winter 2008 pledge class at Ohio State University had the highest GPA among all NPC sororitiy new member classes!

Congrats Ladies!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabug View Post
What you dropped out?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

this past semester (My first) i made straight As for the first time ever (never made em in grade school) my GPA is 3.96(i got an A- in Oral Communications) i made dean's list and im very proud of myself. congrats to everyone and hope we all do well this semester

Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait08 View Post
this past semester (My first) i made straight As for the first time ever (never made em in grade school) my GPA is 3.96(i got an A- in Oral Communications) i made dean's list and im very proud of myself. congrats to everyone and hope we all do well this semester
Congrats!

My Midterm grades
A- & B+
Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait08 View Post
Good job, girlie!

I've got an A, a B+, and two B's. I thought that I wasn't going to do well in Business Stats, but I've got that B. That's a 3.33 semester GPA.