GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,362
2 members and 2,360 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-13-2001, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Rush Infractions

Does anyone know where I can find a list for NPC sororities of what constitutes rush infractions. Our VP of recruitment sent around a list basically outlining some things and saying that this summer(if we were in the area) we should not really talk up our sorority to anyone because they might be potential rushees, and it could be considered a rush infraction. But I love my sorority and if it came up in conversation, its something that I normally talk about. I understand it would a rush infraction as far as promising a bid, or bad-mouthing another organization. But if I were to say how being Greek has made me a better person, or how much I have learned from my sisters, I don't really understand how this is an infraction. What do you all think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-13-2001, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with you. I seem to get at where they're coming from, but it sounds like their going a bit far. I'm not in a sorority, but I learned in Beta that Rush is something that occurs 365 days a year. Granted your not supposed to promise or extend bids during the summer. I just dont see how its wrong to go out and encourage greek involvement and campaigning for prospects. At least in a way where you could put yourself out there indirectly by making friends with those prospects in the summer. I dont see anything wrong with making friendships with prospects and doing it in a way where your not bringing up other Fraternities/Sororities.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2001, 10:15 PM

Some schools are more strict than others with rush violations, so I would err on the side of caution. If it does come up in conversation, just talk up the Greek system in general. If whoever you're talking to asks more detailed questions, just tell them straight out that you aren't permitted to talk about it because of rush rules. Yes it is kind of stupid, but it's not worth getting an infraction. You never know when someone is going to be a "spy" and run to another sorority with reports!!
Old 05-13-2001, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that varies campus to campus. We always had a print out of Recruitmment rules.

I would ask around the Panhellenic Council/Rep.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Check your panhellenic constitution or by laws. Most are contained there. For the big NPC rules, check out the green book.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school we can talk about our sorority all we want until the week of rush (our Rho Chi's don't dissaffiliate until the day before rush!). So we can talk us up all we want UNTIL then. But you need to check your panhellenic's rules regarding this. They set the rules. At our school rush infractions can be anywhere from a $500 fine up to a $1,000 so make sure you are clear!
Old 05-15-2001, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Question

Hey ilovemy glo, how do rho chi's work on your campus if they deaffiliate the day before rush? on my campus, rho chi's have to deaffiliate in August before school starts so that they are "impartial" and potential new members don't know what chapters that rho chi's are from. if potentials know what the rho chi's are, what stops the girls from following their rho chi's choice and not their own?

at my university, we have greek forums and picnics and stuff where you can set up a booth and talk to prospectives before rush. there's nothing wrong with talking up your organization as long as you don't say "rush beta beta beta"...it has to be about going greek in general. you can't offer a verbal bid or say things like "i'll see you later/tomorrow/soon" because girls could it the wrong way. you can also get rush infractions if the girls take anything away from your booth or rush party. those are just a few but you can contact your panhellenic rep. if you are unsure whether something is an infraction or not.

hope that helps!