GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,195
1 members and 1,194 guests
No Members online

Old 12-31-2006, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

opinion needed

my cousin is a senior and a member of alpha phi at the school i attend. my other cousins girlfriend is an alum aphi at the same school. does this better my chances of aphi choosing me? im a freshman and going through formal recruitment in the spring and i know aphi is the right choice for me!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Unregistered-

Your two Alpha Phi contacts are just two members of the sorority. Anything can happen when it comes down to membership selection by the entire chapter.

While you have your heart set on Alpha Phi, you should really go through recruitment with an open mind and give all the other houses a chance. You really won't know what the "right house for you" is until after you visit the houses.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, most (all?) sororities consider membership selection to be private sorority business. This is probably not really a question that we can answer for you...

that being said, I wish you luck in finding your greek home!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Officially you are not a legacy of Alpha Phi, so my advice is to make sure you meet other sisters besides your cousin - and (not that you would) but avoid giving the vibe of "I know my cousin so I know I am getting in here"

Finally - be positive and give all the chapters a chance. You know a lot about Alpha Phi but you may also find another chapter you love just as much!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Their are no guarrantees that you'll get bid by Alpha Phi even though your cousins are members. But when you go through recruitment just be yourself and keep an open mind and everythinh will be fine. I had my heart set on Alpha Phi and luckily they had their heart set on me too. If that's where yo ureally belong than that's where you'll end up!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there-

Everyone is right...you're not a legacy, and you should keep your options as open as possible. However, I hope that you have a chance to check out the Alpha Phi home page www.alphaphi.org before recruitment. There is a "Potential Members" link, that could give you some valuable help. It might not be a bad idea to check the national websites of each of the NPC groups on your campus. Best of luck to you, and let us know how things go!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

While they may talk you up, it is really not a significant factor to boost your chances of a bid. More important are your GPA and activities, as well as how you conduct yourself in social settings and present yourself at the recruitment events. Make every effort to be yourself and to be a gracious guest at each sorority's house. Go in with an open mind. You will likely be cut from sororities in each round, just as you will have the option to cut sororities from your list. Don't go in with an "Alpha Phi or Die!" mentality because it will only result in disappointment. Give each chapter a fair opportunity to make an impression and in the end, join the chapter where you feel the strongest connection after you have had a week to actually meet with multiple members and experience them on your own. If that ends up being Alpha Phi, that's great and your cousin and friend will be very excited to welcome you! But remember that they will be happy for you no matter what you decide and that this is a personal choice that you have to be happy with for the next 3-4 years in college! It isn't fair to yourself to decide that one sorority is right for you when you haven't yet met all of the sororities (or even all of the Alpha Phi's!) to make an educated and unbiased choice, after all. Good luck and I hope that after formal recruitment and getting to meet all of the chapters, that you get what you want!

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-30-2007 at 12:01 PM.