GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,434
3 members and 2,431 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 11-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
You couldn't make a more incorrect statement if you spent a week trying.
Remember that next time the average Christian person uses Scripture to prove homosexuality is a sin and men should be head of human civilization.

The Duggars are an extreme version of the same-old-same-old.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yeah they are homophobic sexist (insert other -ism) idiots. Not shocking.

Unfortunately their homophobia, sexism, and stupidity are exactly the image of the average "loving Christian family".
And don't forget they're white and can "afford" those 19 kids, they don't live off the government and they pay taxes so it's no big deal.

The families that look perfect on the outside are usually some of the most messed up behind closed doors.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
And don't forget they're white and can "afford" those 19 kids, they don't live off the government and they pay taxes so it's no big deal.

The families that look perfect on the outside are usually some of the most messed up behind closed doors.
Please say this again.

Not to mention their compensation for this show and guest appearances. They haven't shunned the mainstream.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Please say this again.

Not to mention their compensation for this show and guest appearances. They haven't shunned the mainstream.
You get me <3 I'll go further and say it's not just that they are white. They are the "right" kind of white. Not trailer trash and not like the typical white person on a reality show. But with this fame, they are no longer a family, they are an image/brand and they play to that as much as possible.

They're like a Trojan Horse and they make me think of this

Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You get me <3 I'll go further and say it's not just that they are white. They are the "right" kind of white. Not trailer trash and not like the typical white person on a reality show. But with this fame, they are no longer a family, they are an image/brand and they play to that as much as possible.

They're like a Trojan Horse and they make me think of this

I want to like this picture a million times. HA!
Old 11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I think what bothered me the most was when they went to that summer retreat. The boys were in a Christian scout group and got to do all the fun things, like repelling, campfires, and your normal cub and boy scout activities. The girls, meantime, were stuck inside taking care of everyone's babies and little children.

The girls seem to be raised to think their only mission in life is to have babies.

I know they're raised on Bill Gothard teachings (how ironic in that he has been repeatedly accused of sexual misconduct). There's an interesting website for people "recovering" from the Bill Gothard way of life called "Recovering Grace."

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/

Last edited by windinthewillow; 11-19-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Banned

Exactly, windinthewillow
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're ever bored check out their original Web page from 2005 when they first started out.http://web.archive.org/web/200506232...garfamily.com/

Also freejinger.org Fair warning you will realize that there are far more families out there that are like the Duggars.

The Duggars are royalty in the fundamentalist Christian crowd and are now well off financially TLC ect...

But if anyone remembers their first few specials, they all worse matching outfits, they had a tiny house with like 1 bathroom. They were barely scraping by and for many families in their lifestyle poverty is the norm. Look at Annas family and their lifestyle.

I really wish TLC would throw them under the bus Kate Gosselin style.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:

But if anyone remembers their first few specials, they all worse matching outfits, they had a tiny house with like 1 bathroom. They were barely scraping by and for many families in their lifestyle poverty is the norm. Look at Annas family and their lifestyle.
It's funny because I was just telling someone this. Their rental had like 3 rooms or something and they shopped at the thrift store.

Now the show is sponsored by Gap so their wardrobe is Gap/Banana Rep/Old Navy/brands.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yupp. This family of 19 kids is the success story.

Their's a family with 9 kids living in one bedroom on Costco shelving.

Quote:
Yes, the rumors are true. Nine of our children share one moderately sized room.......

These are heavy duty pallet racks from Costco. Each shelf is rated for 2,000 lbs. (that's 8k lbs per unit) and they are the same dimension as navy bunks. For mattresses, we cut 3" memory foam into strips the width of the beds (a king makes 3 strips), then doubled them and sewed slipcovers out of sheets. Finally, we cut queen-sized comforters in half to make perfectly sized comforters in fun, coordinating colors.

We're very happy with the beds.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ That's so wrong. Do they have brothers and sisters in the room together? At a certain age, brothers and sisters need privacy from each other. I also can't think that's healthy cramming all those kids in one bedroom. And a 3 inch thick mattress? How generous. I think prison mattresses are more luxurious. Finally, the plywood floor really gives the room a sense of warmth and home.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

My aunt and uncle had two girls and two boys, in a two bedroom house. They built a partition down the middle of the larger room, and bunk beds on each side.

Maybe that's why they're all crazy.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

That family does have a third bedroom, but those kids love their Costco shelf beds soooooo much they begged their parents to turn the other bedroom into a library.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Leave it to Jim Bob Duggar to fan the flames of an ideal romance. The reality show star played matchmaker to his daughters Jill and Jessa and now, a source says, his sights may be set on Tim Tebow — a perfect beau for his oldest daughter, Jana!

http://starmagazine.com/2014/11/26/j...erfect-couple/

This is most likely false but at the same time Jim Bobs ego is so huge it wouldn't exactly shock me if he actually thought this is a possibility.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The "source" for the Tebow rumor is FreeJinger, a snark site for all things Fundie...i.e. Religious fundamentalism, patriarchy and holy intolerance of all stripes. The "start a rumor about the JSlaves" (daughters of JimBob and J'Chelle) was picked up by more mainstream bloggers and online news. Not the first time FreeJinger has been at the center of some great snarky rumor. I'm sure JimBob would love to acquire the Tebow brand, though.